Extruder/Squeeze Bore barrels - ATTN Yance

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

Extruder/Squeeze Bore barrels - ATTN Yance

Post by Hobie »

Hey there Yance. Do you remember our discussion(s) on the old TC-List about the extruder or squeeze bore barrels for the Contender. Having long ago lost the posts I can't remember who it was that had one of those .22 LR to .17 barrels made up nor by whom it was made. Internet searches have turned up nothing. I am hoping you can help.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: Extruder/Squeeze Bore barrels - ATTN Yance

Post by AJMD429 »

For those of us who are "lurkers" on this thread, please enlighten us...

What is a 'squeeze bore' barrel...?

Is it sort of like Pope rifling, only accellerating the bore snugness, instead of the rifling twist?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

Hobie;

I remember the thread on the squeeze bore barrels, but can't remember who owned it (them), but I'm thinking they were DVH barrels. I'll try a shot to the list. If anyone knows the info it'd be Doc Sharps.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Thanks for the link, Hobie!
http://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.com/2011/01/squeeze-bore.html wrote: ...The question is whether or not one could use a relatively easily obtained .17 HM2 barrel or if one needs a more expensive custom rifled barrel with a faster twist...
Hmmm... If you used one of the new really light-weight .22 LR loadings, perhaps the really fast twist wouldn't be needed, as you'd not have the unusually-long-for-bore bullet after 'swaging'. Of course then you might have nothing more exciting than a sort of .17 HMR Short.

Pretty interesting concept though.

Maybe the ideal would be to combine it with Pope rifling, where the bore gradually shrunk (vs. a forcing cone) and the rate of spin increased as well.

Too bad it's so hard to make and rifle a barrel - not something 'hobby gunsmiths' can do very well... :(
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

In the 1980's I had John Linebaugh rebuild my old Ruger Blackhawk 45 .. we used an 8" barrel that was hand-rifled and hand-lapped. It went from .454" at the breech to .450" at the muzzle. Combined with a Taylor Throat it is still one of the most accurate guns I own.

I did this to a Italian-made copy of the 1858 Remington 44 cap and ball sixshooter also. I opened the cylinders to take a .460" ball ... reamed a long lead into the rifling and shrunk the ball to .445". It made a much more accurate and much harder shooting sixgun out of it.
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

According to Mike Scott from the TCBunch list;

"Dave Van Horn made at least one contender barrel 10-12 years ago. It is somewhat unique but the short version of the story is that you should get a 17 HMR. :) Mike"

Anyone want to sacrifice a .17HMR or MkIV barrel to have a LOOOONG throat reamed for experimental purposes?<G>
Yance

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yance,

Do you know the twist on those barrels? My twist rate chart doesn't include the .17s.

PS - I see that EABCO's twist rate is 1:9.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

Hobie;

My list must be only a little more up to date than yours. It shows both 1-9" and 1-10" for the HMR, and slight difference in bore diameter for the different twists. Hmmmmmm.

Can't attach the chart here.
Yance

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Can you e-mail it to me?

Mr. Langsford apparently thought the 1:8 was ideal but had and used the 1:7. I wonder if 1:9 would be enough.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yance,

Got it, thank you!
Sincerely,

Hobie

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Interesting thread :D
I am continually learning new stuff here, today I learned a lot :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I never thought about the civilian applications of the squeeze bore! After reading Hobie's blog entry, I presume it would be more of a benefit to varminters than paper punchers?

I love really cool, really odd projects so I'll be following this thread. :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I don't know how much longer it will last, we're running a loop on the data. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie

mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I have that issue of Guns Magazine with the Squeeze-Bore rimfire article. Very interesting. If I had a .17 contender barrel and a bunch of money I'd have it reamed to 22 LR with a long tapered throat. Claims of improved velocity and penetration from Win. Super-X 40 grain HP, with no rise of pressure. At the end of the article though, it said the .17 HMR and .17 Mach 2 made further developement of "extruder barrels" unnecessary...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well, let's put it this way, what you get from the extruder barrels is DIFFERENT than what you get from a .17 HM2 or HMR barrel. With the later you get light fast bullets, with the former you get heavy LOOOOONG penetrating, maybe slightly faster than normal bullets. If they loaded the .17 HMR with a 40-45 gr. bullet I might be interested. Then again, I like oddball stuff. :lol:
Sincerely,

Hobie