OT--Dick Proenneke, Wilderness living

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

OT--Dick Proenneke, Wilderness living

Post by getitdone1 »

Today I took a look at a book about Dick Proenneke. His second book and this one put together after his death.

Dick spent about 30 years in the wilderness of Alaska where he built a beautiful little cabin and was truly at peace with nature. A friend of his took his diary and created a book titled: One Man's Wilderness. This second book I'm now reading is titled: More Readings From One Man's Wilderness. Great pictures taken by Dick in both books but especially the first one. Pictures of the huge lake and beautiful mountains and of him building his cabin. He was quite a crafsman.

I'll bet just about everyone in this group would love these books. There are also some DVD's and all available from either: www.alaskanha.org or www.DickProenneke.com

Back in the early 70s I bought his One Man's Wilderness book and liked it so much I wrote him a letter in care of the publisher of the book. The letter got through to Dick and I corresponded with him until his death in April of 2003. His main gun was a sporterized Springfield chambered, of course, for the 30-06 and had peep sights. I asked his brother Raymond about this gun after Dick had died but his old bush pilot's son had beat me to it. I would have been a proud owner, for sure.

I met Dick a few times when he was visiting his brother who lived close to me in southern CA. In time I found that Dick had quite a bit of gun experience and shot in competitions during his younger days.

If you do nothing else, give Dick and his cabin and beautiful surroundings a look on YouTube. I've been watching all kinds of things on YouTube for months and just tonight discovered videos about Dick there.

Don McCullough
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT--Dick Proenneke, Wilderness living

Post by C. Cash »

I really enjoy watching him. Nothing but pure respect for a gentleman such as that.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

ditto for me too. class act
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Quite some time back Mr. Proenneke was the subject of a thread here. I hadn't heard from him until then, but I have a lot of respect and admiration for his lifestyle.
Old Law Dawg
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I've read the first book and have a dvd, guy was good at figuring things I really appreciated the door, hinges and lockwork he made from wood for his cabin and the home built refrigerator/pantry. danny
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

PBS did a special on him, and runs it from time to time. One of the best PBS shows I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

You would probably like the story of Heimo Korth too, Alaska's "Final Frontiersman".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIzrw0jsAJw
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Warhawk wrote:PBS did a special on him, and runs it from time to time. One of the best PBS shows I've ever seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

You would probably like the story of Heimo Korth too, Alaska's "Final Frontiersman".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIzrw0jsAJw
They play and sell that tape at many Alaskan gift stores (i.e. tourist traps). He is now an icon of the Alaskan life style.

The previous topic:
- http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=28599
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Looking over some of my previous posts and thought this video warranted being seen by those who did not see it previously.

Edit: Found Richard (Dick) Proenneke at the Wikipedia site. If you scroll to the bottom of this article you come to "external links." Click on these for some interesting reading, pictures and videos.

Don
Last edited by getitdone1 on Sun May 29, 2011 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

They had a special on PBS not long ago about him, fasinating. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.