A modified 1876 Repro

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hobie

A modified 1876 Repro

Post by Hobie »

Not mine it is a cool thing indeed. I thought y'all might like a look-see. Click the pic to see the topic.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A modified 1876 Repro

Post by RIHMFIRE »

i think he did a pretty neat job....that set up will do just fine in the thick woods....
not to mention its gonna be a lot easier to carry too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hey, it's only a Repro so why not? Looks good too.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Neat job. I had an original '76 that had the round barrel cut to 22" and it was extremely handy. I have no idea when it had been cut down, but the bore was mint shiny, so I guess it was a long time ago. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Really fine looking job: just the ticket for chasing wapiti through the thick stuff.
In case somebody wants the functional equivalent without the work, here's the Rossi m92 in .454 Casull:

Shown here at 7# with 9 in the magazine and the extra ready to chamber. 300 grain bullet at 2000fps (if you want that, though a 240 at 1600 is sooo much more pleasant to shoot) recoil pad (appreciated) and about 38" long. Not totally without work needed: action smoothing a must, especially feeding through the cartridge guides...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

It looks really nice and I bet it carries well too!

Mainehunter :wink:
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

That '76 looks JUST like the Winchester Paul Newman carried in "Hombre", tho I'm aware his was a '73. jd45
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

earlmck wrote:Really fine looking job: just the ticket for chasing wapiti through the thick stuff.
In case somebody wants the functional equivalent without the work, here's the Rossi m92 in .454 Casull:

Shown here at 7# with 9 in the magazine and the extra ready to chamber. 300 grain bullet at 2000fps (if you want that, though a 240 at 1600 is sooo much more pleasant to shoot) recoil pad (appreciated) and about 38" long. Not totally without work needed: action smoothing a must, especially feeding through the cartridge guides...
I think that you miss the point about the 1876s... :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I like the looks of what he did except for the buttplate. I like crescents. Looks like something Uberti should add to the catalogue.
Old Law Dawg
abcollector
Levergunner 2.0

Post by abcollector »

Certainly a different look to it... I like it. :) Thanks for posting it and the thread.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Pretty good looking gun. Now you have a gun that in 100 years people will look at it and wonder its story.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I think that looks quite nice.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I like. Nothing like some home grown ingenuity to make a gun fit you needs. Hobie you will have to put up his range report when he posts one.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Will do. I've been plinking with my SRC using 30 gr. of IMR 4198 under THE bullet. Seems to shoot to the sights as I have them now. Need to chronograph but it has been too cold here. I want it a bit warmer, i.e. closer to temps that I can duplicate more easily.

The thing is, if they had been making a configuration close to this, i.e. the "cat" rifle albeit in .45-75, I might have gotten that. Recoil in the SRC is nothing with BP, Pyrodex, or smokeless. Yes, it does duplicate some .45 Colt PISTOL loads in the New Blackhawk Rugers.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Many folks don't like shotgun butts, but I actually prefer them and seek out Winchesters that wear them. FAR less felt recoil and much easier to mount to your shoulder. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Now THAT is a 76 that makes sense to me, a trim, unencumbered potent hunting rifle...Plus has a BIG cool factor going for it... Well thought out and nicely done...Congrats too for having the Cohones to jump in and make it so..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Now THAT is a cool rifle. What's the mag capacity on it Hobie?

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

firefuzz wrote:Now THAT is a cool rifle. What's the mag capacity on it Hobie?

Rob
I don't know for certain but I think the capacity would be 4+1 in the chamber.
Sincerely,

Hobie

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I like the half octagon, half round barrel, but not the half magazine. It just does not look right with no mag tube under the barrel.
The shotgun but is OK though.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

On '76 you'd about have to half mag it to look right...the bottom of the barrel in concave and mag fits into the recess. I'm thinking about having my '76 .45-60 done...but it's hard for me to modify a $1000 lever gun. :lol: I cut up and cut on bolt guns and AR's all the time...but a lever?

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.