Make a Shooting Rest (17 pictures)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Make a Shooting Rest (17 pictures)

Post by AJMD429 »

I think I posted this on the old site, but I’m not sure. Hopefully, it will be of interest to those who find the existing shooting rests too EXPENSIVE, too DIFFICULT TO ADJUST, too FLIMSY, and TOO RESTRICTING.

The last straw was our interest in leverguns, and trying to sight them off the bench with our existing rests. Sandbags are fine, but sometimes it’s nice to be able to leave the gun exactly in position while you adjust a scope, and with sandbags you STILL can’t work the lever...

Even though we are lucky enough to have a very meticulous and organized shop... :oops:

...we wanted all our parts to be something you could get at the local ACE Hardware; no strange fittings or welded-up parts. We wanted it to be something we could build in a single afternoon for fifty bucks or so. This project was prototyped with pine, but we found some scrap oak and maple for the final version.

We wanted an adjustable length overall so a kid’s .22 and a Garand would both work:

We wanted it to be strong and rigid, so we relied on rods rather than screws to make sure we had fully squared posts up front:

We wanted to be able to level it if need be - here’s the adjustment detail for leveling. The same setup on the single rear foot serves for fine elevation adjustment - a threaded-rod splicer with a rubber foot over one end - helps if you bang up the threads a bit so it has zero 'wobble' (you can use two nuts and a lock washer on the non-adjusting front leg), and the adjustment level:

ImageImage

In case we wanted to add weight, we wanted a removable tray that can hold up to 100 pounds of shot:

ImageImage

Combined with a leather and inner-tube-over-bent-steel-bar rear stock rest, it could absorb significant recoil if we needed to sight in a break-open 12 gauge with slugs, or something similarly unpleasant:

For the forend rest, we wanted something sturdy, simple, and adjustable for narrow forends as well as for wide forends (simply rotating the horizontal support 180 degrees before tightening it selects an infinite range of widths):

ImageImage

The front rest wingnuts quickly enable it to be locked in place (they push OUT against the very rigid front supports) once you select the coarse elevation position you want. Here’s the front rest half removed as you would for adjustment, and the front rest removed completely:

ImageImage

We wanted to make sure it was wide enough for beavertail forends, and yet snug for narrow forends:

ImageImage

We also made sure it had clearance for lever, clearance for magazines, and clearance for pistol grips:

ImageImageImage

All the parts except the leather ans scrap wood were from the hardware store (fender washers, rubber tubing, round and square leg caps, etc. plus the stock bolts, nuts, threaded rods, and square and angle and flat steel stock).

It's the only rest we use now!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wow! All I lack is the requisite skill! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Please send me two.
Thanks,
Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

I have total admiration for home-brew, home-built projects like this that are 100% functional for the task at hand. FANTASTIC WORK !!!!

Cheers,

Carl
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Nice job, but why are you shooting holes in a red outhouse?
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

crs wrote:Nice job, but why are you shooting holes in a red outhouse?
It's actually an old non-road-worthy horse trailer we use as a shelter for the goats when we let them graze down the range. There are ricochet holes from some friends :?: who were a bit wild shooting paint cans on the ground in front of it with a .45 ACP.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent post! I have got to add that to my "projects list"!!! :D 8)
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Very nice indeed! :D A post with real substance. It was nice of you to take the time to take the pics and explain your project so others may learn. Personally, I really think you ought to patent that baby. Nice job and thanks very much for sharing :D -----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..