Model 94 pre 64 question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Model 94 pre 64 question

Post by Rube Burrows »

There is a Winchester 94 made in 1962 for sale locally in fair condition.....shows signs of use but not a beater. Bluing is still there but worn in places. The stock was carved years ago with what is believed to be the police departments initials. Without a pic.....what would be a good price for this rifle?

The carving on the stock is about 2 inches long and rather small considering. Kinda goes under the tang on the left side where the stock slides in the tang.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: Model 94 pre 64 question

Post by Malamute »

Some pre-64's seem to sell for pretty high money, even some post 64's sell for far more than I've ever paid for a pre-64. In the condition you stated, between $275-$400 seems reasonable. Some may be happy paying more for a pre-64, and it seems many actually do sell for more, sometimes much more. I still see them around now and them in that price range for used but not too beat. The carving hurts the value, but if it's well done, it may not hurt too much as police markings.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thanks. The carving is not the worst looking thing I have seen.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rube Burrows wrote:There is a Winchester 94 made in 1962 for sale locally in fair condition.....shows signs of use but not a beater. Bluing is still there but worn in places. The stock was carved years ago with what is believed to be the police departments initials. Without a pic.....what would be a good price for this rifle?
The carving on the stock is about 2 inches long and rather small considering. Kinda goes under the tang on the left side where the stock slides in the tang.
A friend and I bought some old SFPD mdl 1894s back in the '80s. They were in excellent shape and we sold several for a very nice profit. They had the stocks "branded" on the right side with the dept's initials. The brands were block letters and if not professionally done, they were well done. Spacing and letter size was consistent with a solid one-piece brand to form the letters. They were the only example that I've seen where their provenance is proved. Surprising cheap individually, but you had to buy the lot. If the pedigree can be established, prices are much, much higher than if it's just a marked up 94. A standard, well used, but not abused pre-64 mdl 94 can range quite a bit in price... and both locale and condition are the primary factors. Without being able to evaluate the condition, wood, metal finish, bore condition, overall appearance, plus the claim (and that's all that I'm reading in this), as a former police department weapon, giving a value is almost impossible. Best I could do is give a range, and based on your statement, I'd say somewhere between $400-$900. Establish the PD link and it could, with the emphasis on "could" go up.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

some pics.

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I'd say $350 tops. It looks to be in average condition and the initials hurt the value.
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Thanks for your input.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rube,

The wood condition leaves a little to be desired... as it appears to have some sort of flaking (which shouldn't happen with a stock finish), but that's sorta offset as the metal is more like slightly used. That gun hasn't been handled all that much, especially if it were a issue weapon for a PD.

If you could just identify the police department and confirm they used Winchester 94s as late as the early '60s. Which would be unusual in itself. Martially marked arms can sometimes bring a premium, but their desireability depends on the department or military unit marques.

I'd say it's worth more than $350, but without knowing that it was, in fact, a PD gun, and what PD, I couldn't go above $500.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

The owner said that he was just told that it was police used.....but has nothing to back it up. That is just the story he got. Said it came from the Morgan City Police Department and was purchased in the 80s. I guess I could call the department and try to find out if they did in fact use them.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

You may not get an answer on the MCPD provinance, even if that department happens to have an armorer - since it might be a one-off, i.e. a confiscated or recovered firearm kept & marked for dept use.

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Pete44ru wrote:You may not get an answer on the MCPD provinance, even if that department happens to have an armorer - since it might be a one-off, i.e. a confiscated or recovered firearm kept & marked for dept use.

Very true. A town like Morgan City would be lucky if they knew what they carried today. :mrgreen:
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'd give them a call. What can it hurt? If no one there knows anything about it they may be able to point you to a retiree that knows the who, what, when, why and where the initials were put there and provide the provinance you're looking for. Good luck.
Old Law Dawg