New From Ruger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JimT
Shootist

New From Ruger

Post by JimT »

Announced today

LCP - Lightweight Compact Pistol

NRA Mini-14 with 20 round magazines

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/ ... tInfo.html
ScottT
Shootist

Post by ScottT »

Thanks Jim, I guess the Ruger haters are going to have to find another reason. 8)
Bitmap
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bitmap »

They're only planning on selling the Mini in 2008. I'll bet that changes.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

LCP looks like a KelTec knockoff. Nearly same specs and everything.
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

+1 on that!!!!! I have owned KekTeks and that has the exact specifications.!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

mklwhite
"LCP looks like a KelTec knockoff. Nearly same specs and everything. "

A "knockoff?" Sounds a little strong to me. It does look similar - but it sure ain't the same.
How 'bout this; Kel-Tec made a sweet little gun and Ruger (wisely, I hope) made some competition for it. SRP seems about the same. Hope the Ruger will match it for across the counter price. I would like one.
Grace and Peace,
Pastordon
Pastordon's Blog
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. (1 Cor. 8:2)
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Sign me up for one of those NRA Models! Sorry, its not a levergun :shock: I used to have a Mini 14 and regret selling it, I had none of the accuracy problems many claim. It shot a minute of "pie plate" at 100 yards offhand. I cant wait!!!

Edited note: Actually I may rethink that purchase. I cant see over 1K for a Mini 14 :shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by jbm1968 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
jbm1968
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jbm1968 »

Add a 50th Anniversary Bearcat to that order!
Jonathan

Soldier
NRA Life Member
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

Yeah, a KelTec knocoff, except it most likely functions smoother and will last twice as long.

KelTecs are nice guns for the small amount of money, but 'm glad to see Ruger throw a hat in the ring!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I'd wager the Ruger will be more reliable than the KelTec without all the tinkering too. Hope they are priced competitively.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Of course by knockoff I mean: "An unauthorized copy or imitation..." (American Heritage Dictionary)
I'm not saying that Ruger might out do KelTec. They have got at least 2 advantages. 1) Ruger has deeper pockets. They can spend more time and money on materials, equipment & testing. 2) Keltec did Ruger's homework for them.
Am I knocking it? No. I look forward to seeing the reviews and hopefully comparisons on it. It is sort of like the Russian space shuttle (Buran Orbiter) and ours. Did they take our idea, plans and research. Heck yes. Anyone with eyes can see that. But did they make it better? Well, yes they did. They didn't spend the time and research to come up with the idea so they could spend it instead on trying to perfect it.
I wonder what the real world price will be with them when you can get a KelTec for about $200 in spite of a MSRP of $324 (blued).
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

I may get one of those. I know the Kel Tecs run hot and cold but I bet the Rugers will be of higher quality. I hope..........
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

The LCP looks like a much more refined Keltec. My buddy has a P380, that I've shot. I just couldn't get myself to spend $220 on one even though they do exactly what they are designed to do. I bought a used Detective Special for the same price and purpose although it weighs 3x as much. The SR9 I could actually get excited about. I always thought the P series pistols were ugly and clunky, but some say the same about my Glock 22. I've always been a Ruger fan and I'm glad to see them with so many new offerings.
oregon73
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oregon73 »

I'm definitely going to have to get one of those short barreled NRA Mini-14's. Imagine Ruger sending that thing out to civilians with two 20-round mags. And a factory 16.25'' barrel. Sweet!

Rob
NRA
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

I can do without the ugly Keltec thingy. The others are interesting...
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

I would rather have the slick PPK.

Bond. James Bond.

Now if it was only as cheap as the Keltec.
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

...or you could always go for the Bersa.
Thinking about one of those for the wife.
dsmith512
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dsmith512 »

mklwhite wrote:...or you could always go for the Bersa.
Thinking about one of those for the wife.
Hey, very nice replica. I just wished it was stainless instead of nickel plated. But the prices look good and Gunblast.com gave it a favorable review.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

I saw a Kahr I'm not sure of the name Pm40 :?: but its in the $600 range thanks for the tip :D
Swampman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Swampman »

I've owned 2 Mini-14s and both were so inaccurate I'd never own another.
"I have reached up to the gun rack and taken down the .30/30 carbine by some process of natural selection, not condoned perhaps by many experts but easily explained by those who spend long periods in the wilderness areas."~Calvin Rutstrum~

"You come to the swamp, you better leave your skirt at the house"~Dave Canterbury~
gunstockmaker
Levergunner

Me too

Post by gunstockmaker »

I've tried 5 mini's over the years beginning with the one with a wooden cover over the barrel back around 1978? It didn't shoot well either. Then the last one couldn't keep up with my trigger finger and I has to do the plastic black rifle.

I'd rather have my trusty 94 trapper with them new fangled pointy bullets from Hornady. OH - and the rear sight from "One Ragged Hole" - that's all a guy ever needed!
If you have to shoot it at more than 200 yards, you're shooting, not hunting!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Swampman wrote:I've owned 2 Mini-14s and both were so inaccurate I'd never own another.
I'd like to know if the stiffer, shorter barrel makes a difference. I owned a Mini when I was a teen ager but never put it to paper...just blasted away with it and had fun. Seemed to do OK, but would love to see some reports on the new ones. Also hear more about the 6.8 round and it's future. I thought there were some pressure issues with that round and again, would like to know more as it seems more ideal to all around hunting/protection usage than the 223.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about a new Ruger "pocket pistol", now its become a "lets bash Ruger" thread because of one guys experiences with a Ruger rifle????

-Tutt
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Actually the original post was about both the LCP and the NRA Mini 14.

And you can't really fault anyone for mentioning the inaccuracy of both the Mini 14 / Mini 30.

For less than the price Ruger sells these for, you could put together an AR-15 that would shoot MOA and less and be able to buy a case of ammo and several quality 30rd Mags.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

The little Ruger has a feel and balance to it that put it in the class of a truly fine rifle. I toted the M16 for a number of years and much prefer the feel of the Mini-14 and the Garand action. I have heard informal reports of improved accuracy with the newer mini -14's and Ranch Rifles and am anxious to learn how this new crop does. That's the reason for my comments and questions on my last post. I am a Ruger fan of the first order! :P If you don't believe me, just come on over......... :wink:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

The Mini can be a bit finicky about the ammo that it prefers in regards to accuracy. It will only shoot as well as the ammo that it is fed, and can be inaccurate with some ammunition. However, I have never fired a Mini-14 that could not be made to shoot well with a little effort experimenting with ammo.

It is a light, handy, highly useful little carbine. You will never see it on the line at Camp Perry, and benchrest shooters prefer other designs, but as a useful tool, the Mini-14 is hard to beat.

Regarding the LCP, Ruger already has orders for several thousand of the little guns. If it works well, it will be a real hit.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

:shock:
Last edited by ohwin94_61 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Look again gents! The mini-14 Is apart of the original post. :?: :?: :?: