My Buck 2010

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

My Buck 2010

Post by Buffboy »

Sorry, no gun in the picture. He was shot with my Marlin 1893 38-55(Thank YOU AGAIN Stone Fence). Wife forgot the camera this morning and this was after my brother brought him back to the house in his pickup tonight. You can also see a small antlerless buck my nephew shot. We had him in our S-10 blazer(that was entertaining getting him in there, wife says she's gonna clean the carpet but I don't believe it, yet :wink: :roll: ) but took him out to wash out with a hose and hang him for a while at the ranch we were hunting on.

What goes around comes around. I was saying to my nephew this weekend "sometimes it sucks to be ethical but it has its perks too" as I'd had to let several bucks walk as they were on the wrong side of the fence this season(this includes a buck that everyone is after this year, if shot it will likely make B&C). Also included were 3 very shootable bucks about dark last night that stood about a hundred yards from me. This guy was one of those. He was the last to leave. He stood for a long time at about 100 yards then trotted over the hill.

This morning about sunrise my wife & I went to a different pasture. We started down a gully and had gotten about 400 yards into our walk when I noticed my wife looking back the way we came. I turned and walked back a bit out of sight of the gully, put my hands by my head and wiggled them like I had antlers. She repeated my signal(she only has an antlerless tag left). I started working back and come out over the hill and in the gully was a grey ghost. I could see it was a deer but not much else. I looked through my little binocs, I can see pretty substantial antlers and a white tail flashing. I worked a little closer to where I could sit and hold steady in the wind. Another quick glance with the binocs showed me the orientation of the deer with the glare of the rising sun. I held a little high as I thought the range about 200yards(later checked with a rangefinder to be 150). I lead about 4" into the wind and let the hammer fall. I heard the slap of the bullet hitting home, watched him jump, he stopped again a little further and I shot again as he wheeled around (I thought I missed the second shot). He turned around and bolted over the hill toward me. He topped the hill and hit the ground about 150 yards from where I was. I waited a bit, then crept up to where I'd seen him go down. At about 100 yards he jumped up again and started running again. I hit him twice more on the run and watched him drop again. When I got to him again he was dead. Turns out the first shot had gone high through both lungs and he was dead on his feet throughout, he just didn't believe it. I found the second shot had hit the deer as it turned, breaking a back leg. The two running shots were (1-125 yards)lungs then (2-175 yards)a bit futher back in the paunch. He's skinned, quartered, and cooling down to be cut up tomorrow. Unlike my wife's buck this one was a real butterball. Lots of fat.

We hunted till dark trying to fill our two antlerless tags but didn't have any shots at anything but fawns or mule deer(whitetail only tags). There's one more weekend of hunting this round then it reopens in January for a week.

If you look at the antlers I think he may be a cross. The antlers look like he may have had a little mule deer blood in him but not a first generation cross. He also looks to be related to last years buck. Wasn't as big a body as last years or the the wife's buck but not small.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Hobie

Re: My Buck 2010

Post by Hobie »

It seems that your photo isn't showing due to the connectivity problems I'm experiencing right now. However, WAY TO GO DOUG! I've got tags but no deer. I'll have to wait now on late muzzleloading season as I haven't practiced with the bow enough.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks for the story and pics. I see how you think he might be a cross. Good job.
Old Law Dawg
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pic shows good here! Congrats on a fine lookin' buck! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Well I can't wait until I can see 'em!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Nice going!! With a classic no less!!. It is tag soup for me this year, but my heart wasn't really in it this year.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Well done, congratulations! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Look how happy that guy is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

outstanding ....great buck
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Nice one!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Nice,after Your Wifes buck last week I have been waiting and You sure don't dissapoint. :D .Way to Go.
chipper
Levergunner

Post by chipper »

Nice job,Thats a great Buck you got there !! :)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice work, the first shot was perfect :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
GoatGuy
Senior Levergunner

Post by GoatGuy »

Great work and a super whitetail. I'm jealous! And hey, I dig your latest and greatest, expensive, high fashion camo outfit. Looks just like mine and obviously works just as well for you as mine does for me! :) Congrats again on your nice buck.
"If a man does away with his traditional way of living and throws away his good customs, he had better first make certain that he has something of value to replace them." - Basuto proverb.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Well done! :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln