leaking scope?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

leaking scope?

Post by Rusty »

We're back from a week in the woods and when Jr. was pulling a few guns out of the safe he noticed what seems like oil leaking from the area where the objective lens is screwed onto the tube and running down the tube on one of the rifles. would this mean there's a problem with the scope?
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Re: leaking scope?

Post by WinM71 »

Unlikely any liquid is leaking out of the scope - all that's inside should be nitrogen. Is the scope still clear? My only guess might be that somebody ran a very oily rag over the scope and the objective/tube joint caught some of it. Again, that seems unlikely. I doubt anybody would have an oily rag that close to the lens, especially since the tube isn't steel anyway
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

WinM71 wrote:Unlikely any liquid is leaking out of the scope - all that's inside should be nitrogen. Is the scope still clear? My only guess might be that somebody ran a very oily rag over the scope and the objective/tube joint caught some of it. Again, that seems unlikely. I doubt anybody would have an oily rag that close to the lens, especially since the tube isn't steel anyway
I've had it happen, and I assumed the 'oily rag' was the culprit. No other cause I could think of. Scope kept working fine.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I wuz just wonderin since the rifle never has been a stellar preformer any way. Thinking that might be why... something wrong with the scope. I guess we'll look towards something else as the cause for the rifle.

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What brand of scope is it?
I checked all of mine and found no leaks. I also could not find a dip stick on any of them.
How does one check the oil level?
I wouldn't want any of them to start knocking and throw a rod or something. :wink: :o :shock: :wink:
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Mine doesn't have a dip stick but I noticed the red light was on.

RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Its a Redfield 3-9 with their Accurange recticle.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.