OT: What is current price of regular ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: What is current price of regular ....

Post by J Miller »

gasoline in the LA area?

Doing calculations. CA gas is generally higher than other places so I'll do the calculations based on that price.

Thanks.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: What is current price of regular ....

Post by pshort »

Howdy Joe,
Here's a website for gas prices nationwide. I'm sure there're others..

http://gasbuddy.com/

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

pshort wrote:Howdy Joe,
Here's a website for gas prices nationwide. I'm sure there're others..

http://gasbuddy.com/

Paul
Paul,

Thanks. That works really good. Gas in Albuquerque, NM is about 20¢ a gallon cheaper than here. And Costa Mesa, CA is about 30¢ higher. Cool site.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Diesel has been up and down a nickle around 3.45 lately :o Better than the 4.50 a couple years ago, but, Holy Poop!! :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

I can attest that Friday evening gas was $3.11 in NY, $2.99 in PA, $2.89 in southern VA, and as low as $2.69 in SC on Saturday. In FL it was $2.99 on Sunday, and by Monday it was $3.18 in NY. That's a 50 cent price spread based on location in one 2900 mile round trip run over 73 hours.

FWIW I can also attest that for the first time ever, fuel injector cleaner actually DID help. Dumped a bottle in with 25 gallons of gas, kept the motor humming and warm, continuously at 80 mph for 400 miles, stopping only once for "grab-n-go" coffee, and sure enough, the stumble at idle was gone and mileage improved a tad.
Certified gun nut
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Arco has the lowest price per gallon running around $2.90 to $3.00. But, you have to pay cash. They don't accept credit cards, and they charge to use a debit card. If you fill up at Arco, fill up, don't top off. Otherwise, the cheapest I find is about $3.10. This is at "off brand" stations. One hint, if you belong to Costco, you can fill up at most for a pretty good savings.

With all that said, you're going to see a pretty good price increase for the holidays.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

today here in east texas gas was as low as 2.60 and diesel was 2.95
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

75 miles south west of willygene its $2.59 (Crockett, Tx). In Palestine its $2.57 with a Wal Mart card.
when your enemy is within range so are you
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Using the Cetane additive, I seem to improve my diesel mileage between 1 & 2 mpg, but savings wise, it just about breaks even or barely a little better money-wise.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

3.15 to 3.25 approx.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have a couple of good stations near me at $3.05-$3.09.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

On Sunday I paid 2.66 a gallon in Wichita.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Midcoast Maine, 87 octane de-caff (unleaded) ranges from $2.97 to $3.05

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

im heading to ozona tx friday and the price there has been around 3.19 the last 2 months hope i don't have to buy to much diesel fuel there.
roughcreek
Levergunner 2.0

Post by roughcreek »

I know this is old but maybe someone hasn't seen it. I think it is about 2 years old.

Roughcreek

The U. S. Geological Service issued a report in April ('08) that only scientists and oil men knew was coming . It was a revised report (hadn't been updated since '95) on how much oil was in this area of the western 2/3 of North Dakota ; western South Dakota ; and extreme eastern Montana .....

The Bakken is the largest domestic oil discovery since Alaska 's Prudhoe Bay , and has the potential to eliminate all American dependence on foreign oil. The Energy Information Administration (EIA) estimates it at 503 billion barrels. Even if just 10% of the oil is recoverable... at $107 a barrel, we're looking at a resource base worth more than $5.3 trillion.

'When I first briefed legislators on this, you could practically see their jaws hit the floor. They had no idea..' says Terry Johnson, the Montana Legislature's financial analyst.

'This sizable find is now the highest-producing onshore oil field found in the past 56 years' reports, The Pittsburgh Post Gazette. It's a formation known as the Williston Basin , but is more commonly referred to as the 'Bakken.' And it stretches from Northern Montana, through North Dakota and into Canada . For years, U. S. oil exploration has been considered a dead end. Even the 'Big Oil' companies gave up searching for major oil wells decades ago. However, a recent technological breakthrough has opened up the Bakken's massive reserves.... and we now have access of up to 500 billion barrels. And because this is light, sweet oil, those billions of barrels will cost Americans just $16 PER BARREL!

That's enough crude to fully fuel the American economy for 2041 years straight.

2. And if THAT didn't throw you on the floor, then this next one should - because it's from TWO YEARS AGO!

U. S. Oil Discovery- Largest Reserve in the World!
Stansberry Report Online - 4/20/2006

Hidden 1,000 feet beneath the surface of the Rocky Mountains lies the largest untapped oil reserve in the world. It is more than 2 TRILLION barrels. On August 8, 2005 President Bush mandated its extraction. In three and a half years of high oil prices none has been extracted. With this motherload of oil why are we still fighting over off-shore drilling?

They reported this stunning news: We have more oil inside our borders, than all the other proven reserves on earth. Here are the official estimates:

- 8-times as much oil as Saudi Arabia
- 18-times as much oil as Iraq
- 21-times as much oil as Kuwait
- 22-times as much oil as Iran
- 500-times as much oil as Yemen
- and it's all right here in the Western United States .

HOW can this BE? HOW can we NOT BE extracting this? Because the environmentalists and others have blocked all efforts to help America become independent of foreign oil! Again, we are letting a small group of people dictate our lives and our economy.....WHY?

James Bartis, lead researcher with the study says we've got more oil in this very compact area than the entire Middle East -more than 2 TRILLION barrels untapped. That's more than all the proven oil reserves of crude oil in the world today, reports The Denver Post.

Don't think 'OPEC' will drop its price - even with this find? Think again! It's all about the competitive marketplace, - it has to. Think OPEC just might be funding the environmentalists?

http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1911
Roughcreek
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I think I paid $3.19/gallon last week, but I didn't pay that much attention (rental car for work).
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Old No7 wrote:Midcoast Maine, 87 octane de-caff (unleaded) ranges from $2.97 to $3.05

Old No7
Does anyone make leaded gasoling anymore? I remember the refinery I worked at stopped somtime in the '70s or early '80s.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Up here, in Northern California, regular ranges from $2.97 to $3.23, depending on where you buy. The "BIGGIES" like Shell, 76, and Chevron are the highest and the little guys, whose fuel is exactly the same as the others, sell for the least. Locally, the gasoline all comes from the same source, which leads me to believe that the major oil company's claims of "Techron", etc, superiority is pure hogwash. My Chevy Silverado can't tell the difference so I buy the "El Cheapo" stuff. :|
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Officially recognized retail pricing data, updated each Monday ~5pmEST: http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/gdu/gasdiesel.asp by our burdensome gov't agency charged with such. :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

$3.29 for reguar when I went to town this AM for ice. $3.65 for diesel.
ED
Yer never too old
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Mike D. wrote:Up here, in Northern California, regular ranges from $2.97 to $3.23, depending on where you buy. The "BIGGIES" like Shell, 76, and Chevron are the highest and the little guys, whose fuel is exactly the same as the others, sell for the least. Locally, the gasoline all comes from the same source, which leads me to believe that the major oil company's claims of "Techron", etc, superiority is pure hogwash. My Chevy Silverado can't tell the difference so I buy the "El Cheapo" stuff. :|
You are correct. Now I'm not saying it's still going on, but when I was in the refiining industry, it was quite common for refiners to "trade" product. Just because it said Texaco on the truck, didn't mean it came for a Texaco refinery. O, and bythe way, all gasoline must meet governemtal standards.

On a historical note, some may remember Shell with "Platformate". Well, that is the same process, reforming the gas with a platinum based catalyst that everybody else just called "reformate". It's a way to increase the octane of the fuel.

Another hint, if your vehicle manufacturer says to run 87 octane, running 91 only costs more, assuming you have a properly maintained unmodified engine.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jeepnik wrote:
Mike D. wrote:Up here, in Northern California, regular ranges from $2.97 to $3.23, depending on where you buy. The "BIGGIES" like Shell, 76, and Chevron are the highest and the little guys, whose fuel is exactly the same as the others, sell for the least. Locally, the gasoline all comes from the same source, which leads me to believe that the major oil company's claims of "Techron", etc, superiority is pure hogwash. My Chevy Silverado can't tell the difference so I buy the "El Cheapo" stuff. :|
You are correct. Now I'm not saying it's still going on, but when I was in the refiining industry, it was quite common for refiners to "trade" product. Just because it said Texaco on the truck, didn't mean it came for a Tco refinery. O, and bythe way, all gasoline must meet governemtal standards.
On a historical note, some may remember Shell with "Platformate". Well, that is the same process, reforming the gas with a platinum based catalyst that everybody else just called "reformate". It's a way to increase the octane of the fuel.
Another hint, if your vehicle manufacturer says to run 87 octane, running 91 only costs more, assuming you have a properly maintained unmodified engine.
Not PURE hogwash; but yes, one must remember that marketing types ARE the original spin-doctors! For almost 20 years the spousal unit was a cost accountant at a Southern California refinery. While they were primarily an asphalt refiner, they still produced sizable quantities of gas & diesel. And they "sold" product to their "competitors". And, for instance, if a Texaco or Chevron truck came into their rack to p/u, they brought their own additives (in the rare instance of a propietary substance) or used the refinery's available additives in the quanntity needed to meet the retailer's specs. She could pobably still tell what additive was called what by which company and what quantities were needed! :P

A large part of her job was to account for and bill, or authorize payment, for those "exchanges" between companies on a national basis in some cases. Right after she'd been "promoted" to a clerical job from station manager, for more'n a year she was mostly a "go-fer" assigned to suppy documentation to the lawyers defending her company (and several others) against unfair trade practice charges brought by the DOE and Congress after the 1st oil imbargo. Pretty stressful time for her, listening all the media hype, knowing the facts & figures but under court gag orders. To this day, the DOE and Justice Depts run periodic which hunts for collusion and price-fixing; between the "big-guys", it just don't happen.. the risks are just too great. Fines are in the ranges of several YEARS of profits... Now, your corner station... is it collusion for him to go out, look at the prices across the street, and change his? I guess it depends on which direction he changes 'em, huh?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Large bakeries do something similar. And how many companies actually make mayonnaise?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Old Savage wrote:Large bakeries do something similar...
What's that, makin' dough? :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Large bakeries do something similar. And how many companies actually make mayonnaise?
When I first moved out here I was shocked to find out you couldn't buy Hellmann's Mayonnaise. I had to buy Best Foods instead.

Then the dark day came when they switched to plastic jars. My mayonnaise jar collection will never get any larger than it is right now.

You may laugh, you may shrug, you may say to yourself "Just how many lentils can one man store?" But I say, times are-a-changin', and not in a good way.
Last edited by El Chivo on Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

although I did fill up today for $3.01.9 in Castaic. There's a AM/PM convenience store with the cheapest gas in So Cal.
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Did my best math it's about $3.49 US a gallon up here.
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Griff wrote:Not PURE hogwash; but yes, one must remember that marketing types ARE the original spin-doctors! For almost 20 years the spousal unit was a cost accountant at a Southern California refinery. While they were primarily an asphalt refiner, they still produced sizable quantities of gas & diesel. And they "sold" product to their "competitors". And, for instance, if a Texaco or Chevron truck came into their rack to p/u, they brought their own additives (in the rare instance of a propietary substance) or used the refinery's available additives in the quanntity needed to meet the retailer's specs. She could pobably still tell what additive was called what by which company and what quantities were needed! :P

A large part of her job was to account for and bill, or authorize payment, for those "exchanges" between companies on a national basis in some cases. Right after she'd been "promoted" to a clerical job from station manager, for more'n a year she was mostly a "go-fer" assigned to suppy documentation to the lawyers defending her company (and several others) against unfair trade practice charges brought by the DOE and Congress after the 1st oil imbargo. Pretty stressful time for her, listening all the media hype, knowing the facts & figures but under court gag orders. To this day, the DOE and Justice Depts run periodic which hunts for collusion and price-fixing; between the "big-guys", it just don't happen.. the risks are just too great. Fines are in the ranges of several YEARS of profits... Now, your corner station... is it collusion for him to go out, look at the prices across the street, and change his? I guess it depends on which direction he changes 'em, huh?
Hmm... Edgington, Fletcher or Paramount?
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"