Just bought a Williams FP sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Just bought a Williams FP sight

Post by Roland »

For my Rossi 92. Can anyone tell me whats a suitable front sight to get with it. I want a fiber bead but not a huge bead that'd be more useful for hunting, I am looking for something with a smaller bead for target shooting. I got a 20" carbine model in .44mag I want to turn into a real slick and accurate gun.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Just bought a Williams FP sight

Post by TedH »

In my opinion you'll be better served with a narrow post front sight for target shooting. Beads are great for quick sighting on game but not for precision aiming at targets.
NRA Life Member
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

For precision, I'd recommend a Marbles blade sight of suitable height with a 1/16" brass bead.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Consider the Lyman Globe, too - you can interchange the front for many types, depending on conditions...

The sight is actually pretty compact and low-profile when installed on this kind of gun.

This view is with a 'target' tang rear sight, but a Williams FP would work just as well; you can see the very fine 'bead' or whatever up front.

These are just a FEW of the many sight 'inserts' you can get for the Lyman.

Or if you have a Dremel tool, a file, and some patience, just make your own small-bead front sight (I did it with fiberoptic but you could inlet a brass bead or pinhead the same way, and wouldn't even have to file the light-notch) out of the existing front sight without even taking it off the gun:

The 'how-to' thread: http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21648

I used the fiberoptic Brownell's sells (or maybe it was MidwayUSA) for firearms sights, although the 'archery' fiber sold for bow sights is smaller diameter, and with a smaller Dremel-drill, could easily be used instead.

I started the hole with a round-tipped 'drill' in the Dremel, then just did the rest by hand with a very small diameter bit. I cut the light-gathering notch by hand with a file afterwards. A brief pass with a lighter flame flares the ends of the fiber-optic.

Look at it this way, if you're gonna replace the front sight one way or another, trying the 'do it yourself fiberoptic' will likely work just fine, but if you mess it up, you haven't lost anything.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

The post type (patridge) is much more precise than any bead. I regularly use an old Redfield Sourdough, that has a brass insert in the top to pick up light. It really works. This hasn't been produced in years but I'll bet something similar is available from Brownells or Midway. Old timers thought this sight added another 15 or 20 minutes of "shooting light". It allows me to see the sights before and after the light has waned to the point I can no longer see antlers.

M. M.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Another vote for the sourdough or post.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I like the XS white stripe blade front sight -

Works for me -
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I also prefer a post type sight. I have used a Skinner brass post and really like it. You would think a flat square sight would not work, but once you adjust to have point of impact just on top of the post, you are good to go. With a round front you are apt to try and have the poi under the bead if your bead covers 6" at x distance pretty hard to be accurate. You can't hit what you can't see. Just my .02.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I agree with the above - with my Winchester 95 - 30-06

I got this result zeroing the after market sights - at 100 yards - from just a fist rest on the range table - 1/2 MOA - and I shoot every week but never considered myself an expert

The solo shots were off hand elbow rest. For me, this sight combo is the best.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

I'm starting to wonder if I need to replace my front sight after all. I was looking around and most people said the front sight needs to be higher, looking at some of the pictures here, it would seem my current front sight is about as high.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Roland wrote:I'm starting to wonder if I need to replace my front sight after all. I was looking around and most people said the front sight needs to be higher, looking at some of the pictures here, it would seem my current front sight is about as high.
The only way to know is to shoot the rifle! Go to the range and see where the group is relative to where you meant it to be.
If it is too high you need a shorter sight too low you need a higher front sight.

There are some internet sites that can help but shooting the weapon is the one sure way to know.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

This gun has hardly been shot, last time I tried it was going high with factory ammo.

It's spent most of it's time disassembled, I've done the NKJ treatment on it and now it's waiting for some proper wood, thinking about making my own stock because most factory options are too short.
markinalpine
Levergunner 2.0

Post by markinalpine »

Alan Wood wrote:
Roland wrote:I'm starting to wonder if I need to replace my front sight after all. I was looking around and most people said the front sight needs to be higher, looking at some of the pictures here, it would seem my current front sight is about as high.
The only way to know is to shoot the rifle! Go to the range and see where the group is relative to where you meant it to be.
If it is too high you need a shorter sight too low you need a higher front sight.There are some internet sites that can help but shooting the weapon is the one sure way to know.
UH-OH!
Mark :shock:
Any way you sell it,
No matter how you spell it,
When you start to smell it,
BO stinks.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You probably don't NEED to replace it, but that wasn't the way you asked the question.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

In my experience, I shot high with the stock front sight and needed to replace it with a taller one on all the half dozen or so rifles. Not difficult - though was more work in the Winchester 95 - which wasn't the out-in dove tail replacement of the others.

Winchester 95 -

Winchester 94

Browning BL22

I didn't mind doing it since I liked the blade front sight better than the stock one anyway.

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Hobie wrote:
You probably don't NEED to replace it, but that wasn't the way you asked the question.
Because reading about the williams FP on this forum and others seemed to indicate it was straight out neccessary so I had assumed it was something I had to do for a few weeks, not until I started looking at the posted pictures here that I started thinking "hey..."
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Roland wrote:
Hobie wrote:
Because reading about the williams FP on this forum and others seemed to indicate it was straight out neccessary so I had assumed it was something I had to do for a few weeks, not until I started looking at the posted pictures here that I started thinking "hey..."
If it's any help, I had to replace the front sights on all rifles I installed FP sights on - and the replacement sights were 0.5" tall -

Not much taller but, necessary for me to zero the sights.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER