Marlin 1897 Cowboy - review

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin 1897 Cowboy - review

Post by Whit Spurzon »

I've had my eye out for an 1897 Cowboy for a while and finally lucked into one of the 1999 vintage. It had a few scratches on the stock but didn't have a lot of mileage on it otherwise.

I sure like how this rifle hefts. Looking down the barrel the sights align naturally and the front bead just hangs onto whatever it's pointed at.

The overwhelming urge to shoot it had me at the range on the first day. Within half a magazine's worth (19 LR capacity) I was sighted in and having fun.

Not bad performance from the cheap Federal 36gr HP Bulk ammo

I also tested Winchester, Aguila and CCI ammo through it and ran into some failure to fire issues, especially with the Aguila ammo. I pulled the bolt and the firing pin retention pin was firmly driven down onto the pin. I reset it flush with the top of the bolt so the firing pin could now move freely (like the old unretained varieties) and it resolved the issues with all but the Aguila ammo which still needed an extra firing pin strike every fifth cartridge.

Over the chronograph this rifle seemed to shoot a little slower than my Century Limiteds, 39A, 39 TDS and Mounties which surprised me as my 24" barreled 39A gets the most velocity out of everything except subsonic ammo. In subsequent tests with a few other ammo varieties the CB did spit the Federal Lightning - 40gr RN - faster than the other guns which I found interesting.

Accuracy was promising with all but the CCI CB Longs. The rifle does not appear to be fussy about ammo. The Aguila SE Subsonic and the Federal Lightning (target shown with rifle above) showed the most promise. I was even able to shoot some offhand groups that I would have been satisfied with off the bench. :D

The Marlin octagonal barrels have been consistently excellent for me, front and rear sights centered on the barrel and it just becomes a matter of elevation. The Marbles rear sight has an inner reversible sight blank that is also elevation adjustable. I try to set it so on the lowest notch it shoots point of aim at 25 yards. That usually gives me more than enough notches to reach out to 200 yards with a right on hold. I prefer a smaller front bead but this one seems to be working pretty well so far. We'll see how it fairs in the silhouette matches and long range dinger shootin'.

Early preliminary testing indicates that on the second notch I should have a 50 yard zero and the third notch up should be right on at 100 yards with two notches to spare. Using the 100 yard zero there is about a 36" drop out to 200 so it will be interesting to see if the top two notches will get me all the way there.

I haven't had a chance to take it out in the field yet, except for a quick cruise around the property. It balances comfortably at the forestock and carries lightly despite being a rifle sized rimfire. It points naturally and I am looking forward to shooting Grouse with it.

Aesthetically I'm not a big fan of checkering on a levergun but after oogling and handling the rifle I'm warming up to it though the 39 Century Ltd might have the edge in a beauty contest.

Overall I'm VERY pleased!
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Marlin 1897 Cowboy - review

Post by Blaine »

I'm not sure I've seen one of those long barreled beauties....Very Nice, Indeed! :wink: :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very nice! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Ooooh I like that :D :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

Nice looking and shooting rifle.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very nice report Whit. Makes me want to run and buy one!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
longarm4146
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longarm4146 »

got lucky on one of those a few years back and it is one of my favorite marlins....they are getting hard to come by and when you do the price has jumped considerably from when they were being made.....
SASS 4146
BOLD 199
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice - I will have to try some of that in my 39.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Excellent. That rifle really appeals to me. Since the first time I saw the old '97's I've wanted one, but finding one that isn't beat to death for a decent price is hard.
Old Law Dawg