OT Canadian "justice" UPDATE

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

OT Canadian "justice" UPDATE

Post by Otto »

Last edited by Otto on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: OT Canadian "justice"

Post by Blaine »

That's disgusting, no matter what country :evil:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

I can not believe this report, sad sad sad. :shock:
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Sieg Heil, everybody!

The guy was just defending his business, and actually did
a good deed for the rest of society. He didn't shoot the miscreant
or stab him - only held him for police. The punk got off lucky, methinks.

It seems no matter the severity of the crime, the prosecution has
to "make a deal" to secure another arrest in order to boost "the
numbers". This habit is now completely out of control.

I hope that they find him not guilty, but if British law is any
indication he'll probably get punished more severely than the thief.

-Stretch
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

There is general outrage around here over the moronic charge laid by the pathetic Toronto Police. That store owner is a hero as far as a lot of Canadians are concerned.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

stretch wrote:It seems no matter the severity of the crime, the prosecution has to "make a deal" to secure another arrest in order to boost "the numbers". This habit is now completely out of control.
Yeah; sometimes they'll take actually REAL criminals, and let them plea down to some stupid misdemeanor they can quickly and cheaply get a 'conviction' on, so they can brag about their 'conviction rate' - meanwhile the murderer is back out on the street in 18 months.

They seem hardest on 'gun' and 'drug' crimes.

I think the 'gun' ones they like to be hard on because psychologically, the wielders of power know that they won't be given free reign to abuse that power if their 'subjects' remain armed.

The 'drug' ones then enforce aggressively because it is such a steady stream of income and power to legislatively prohibit any item with a strong, inelastic demand, and the resultant violence created by their prohibition keeps the public perpetually desparate and willing to hand over money and freedom to the politicians in exchange for vague promises to 'make the streets safer', which of course they never do.

All you need is rules against murder, assault, theft, and a court system to take care of negligance and violation of contracts, and you've got most of it covered, without all the EPA, OSHA, DEA, DOT, and protected-classes legislation.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

dkmlever wrote:I can not believe this report, sad sad sad. :shock:
and scary at the same time.
It is not the critic who counts
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

You have got to be kidding....right?

This is a joke, is it not?
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm afraid to say it's probably no joke, especially to David Chen and his friends. It's a prosecutor gone nuts is what it is. Even if the police arrest Chen, which I don't know if they did or not, or whether the information sent to the prosecutor for review, the prosecutor should of looked at the circumstances and dropped the charges. But, no, they went a step further and struck a plea bargain with the thief to testify against Chen. That's wrong, wrong, wrong on so many levels. That sends a message to the criminal element if you can grab, dash and split before the law arrives you're good to go. Short of the law catching you.

Being in law enforcement these types of things make me wonder where the common sense and the general overall mind set is in the people dealing with these type situations. It doesn't just occur in Canada.
Old Law Dawg
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I heartily and strongly agree with kimwcook. This travesty of justice is outrageous. I would like to see David Chen lay criminal charges against the crown prosecutor for 'aiding and abetting' a criminal, which is essentially what the prosecutor did in striking a deal with the thief.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT Canadian "justice" UPDATE

Post by Otto »

"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Glad the guy was acquitted, but the damage has already been done... :evil:
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

The whole country found this to be outrageous. The guy was acquitted and that is important, because a court precedent has been set. Canadians can feel a bit more free to perform a citizens arrest using justified force if necessary. The key here was that the arrest was not made immediately, but an hour or so later. Making it immediately has never been a problem, but making it later was the issue here. The thinking is that if the arrest is made later, why not have the police do it. However, in this case, the fellow would have been gone again long before the police would arrive, so the fellow made the arrest. The judge acquitted the man and a lot of Canadians are happy to hear this.
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

I've come to the conclusion that we don't have a Criminal Justice System here in Canada we have a "Criminal's Justice System". Don't do anything to protect yourself or your family or your property or do anything to the poor poor misunderstood bad man and you will be fine. Maybe heads on a pike on the outside of town isn't such a bad idea.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I have been fortunate to be a guest at a Fishing camp in Ontario for 39 years. I have always been treated by the Canadian People like one of the Family and always overwelmed by their generous hospitality. twice over the years We had car trouble on the way to camp,and both times were rescued by extremley Helpfull service People who just wanted to get us back on the road.
As I related last year on the way home from the trip near Peterbourgh, I was pulled over by the O.P.P for have a radar dector in My Jeep.A gift from my Sister. Yes I was wrong and missed the sign at the border.ignorance is no excuse. the officer demanded and confiscated the "device",and handed Me a ticket for $170.00. A bigger fine than Tiger Woods recived when He wrecked the Esclade last year.
Lucky for Me I am older,yes Sir, No Sir, and kept My mouth shut as I feel the officer would have been more than happy to place Me under arrest. My Son and Son in law were clearly shaken by the "robocop" attitude.
I feel like it was a very clear message fron the canadian legal system.
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

my brother just got a speeding ticket here in Manitoba. He was doing 125KMH in a 100KMH zone. Fair enough. The ticket was 390 plus costs. never ceases to amaze me