Winc 94 triggers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
grass range
Levergunner 1.0

Winc 94 triggers

Post by grass range »

Anyone done anything about the 1 1/2 inch slack trigger pull in the Winc levers with the tang safety? Winchester deserved to go broke after some of their screwed inovations
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winc 94 triggers

Post by Tycer »

A pre-rebounding trigger group and hammer is the fix.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

What Tycer said is what I did with mine:

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_no ... tes.htm/42

You'll have to get rid of the tang safety, it won't work with the old half cock action.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
grass range
Levergunner 1.0

Post by grass range »

Thanks guys-This is my saddle gun when I ride after big mulies in central Montana
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

If it were Me I would sell it. I don't know what calibre/sight setup You have but if it's a pistol cal .44mag/.45colt, I would get a slicked up Rossi from Stevesguns.and if a rifle cal I would look for a Marlin 30-30,35Rem or 45-70.... USRAC ruined the 94 with the rebounding setup.
Turnbull Restorations will weld up the hole in the tang and convert it to the way it was designed,pricey but I would trust it to work Right. I bought one of the rebounders ten years ago and never again. Good Luck.
http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?m ... th=10_12_4
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

.45colt wrote:If it were Me I would sell it. I don't know what calibre/sight setup You have but if it's a pistol cal .44mag/.45colt, I would get a slicked up Rossi from Stevesguns.and if a rifle cal I would look for a Marlin 30-30,35Rem or 45-70.... USRAC ruined the 94 with the rebounding setup.
Well, I don't know about selling it, but the Rossis and Marlins are good guns. Especially when they work properly.
I totally agree with the comment that USRAC ruined the 94 with the rebounding hammer actions. That's why I got rid of that action in my Winchester.

Turnbull Restorations will weld up the hole in the tang and convert it to the way it was designed,pricey but I would trust it to work Right. I bought one of the rebounders ten years ago and never again. Good Luck.
In my way of thinking, you don't need Turnbulls service to fix the rebounder problem. There are other much less expensive fixes. The easiest is to retro fit the rifle with the original half cock action, remove the safety and fabricate a plug for the hole. This can be done many ways including welding and refinishing, or creating an insert such as this one former member Ganjiro made for his Winchester. If I remember correctly he made that from a piece of bone or horn:
Win94AE safety filler Ganjiro.jpg
Lots of possibilities there.

http://store.stevesgunz.com/index.php?m ... th=10_12_4
I agree about Steves rifles, they are worth the funds.
Lots of ideas to fix that crappy action. One can also take it apart and polish everything. That will reduce the roughness and might even help with the trigger pull. Unfortunately the amount of play in the trigger is built in because the trigger has to raise and lower the hammer block that sits in front of the hammer. With the trigger forward the block prevents the hammer from striking the firing pin even if forced forward by a blow. The actual sear engagement can be smoothed and the creep decreased to achieve a decent trigger pull, but that floppy movement prior to sear engagement can't be eliminated as far as I know.

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I have done two rebounders over the years, they can be improved alot in stock form but if you can swap the guts to a real system then do so.

other than that, there should be a small spring that controlls the first stage of travel, it can easily be lost. Sometimes that spring will bind and even may horrid noises encouraging the owner to ditch it all together!

Carefull stoning of the sear with a Washita stone can gain a respectable release but lightening the main spring can give light strikes due to the rebounding mech.

Removing metal from the rebounding mech forks can lessen the rebounding movement but will alter the height the hammer sits in battery which may limit the tang safty engagement with the hammer.

What ever you do, you most likely won't get a safe match grade trigger but most certainly a better field trigger than stock.

HTH

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We can mess with them all We want but My rather coarse Redneck Farmer Brother in law got it right years ago... "lets take that rifle an weld it to the jack handle,make it lot's easier to get the wheels of the tractor". it just ain't right. :o