OT FrankenForge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

OT FrankenForge

Post by Gobblerforge »

Well it's that old idle hands thing, ya know. Gets me every time. So I've had a couple young lads that are interested in blacksmithing that have been taking classes with me this year. They are brothers ages 9 and 11 and both way too smart for their age. Through their fathers connections they managed to come up with an anvil, and with a little cleaning and fixing, turned out pretty good. It's not a Hay Budden but it will do great for a start. So now they are gonna need a forge. Well while trying to work on the cheap and having a few things lying around I decided to put together a workable forge for them. We were able to buy a blower from one gentleman and a post vice from another and their Dad was able to acquire a 55 gallon drum. Shoot, with a few pieces of whatever here and there, a little cuttin, a little weldin, I'm thinking the makins of a working forge set up that can be moved for storage. I remember some discussion about how to build a forge here before so I thought you all might enjoy tagging allong and perhaps learn a little on how they work too. Here's what I started with.
I started by making a way to use a brake rotor for the fire pot. Cast works great for this because it can take the heat. By cutting the web and removing the outer brake surface the rotor can now hold the fire. A simple flange cut from some plate connects the ash drop, made from the cut off leg of a cherry picker, to the rotor. There is a slideing gate at the bottom to hold the ash thats falls through the Tyre pipe grate and can be emptied later. The design allows ash to fall past the air inlet, made from some old lally column, and air to travel up through the bottom of the fire. The air is supplied by the blower that got mounted to the side of the drum.
Then adding some steel to the opposite side of the drum from the blower, for weight balance, I mounted the post vice. A small piece of stainless for a heat shield for the vice was welded on the top and another piece of flat stock for a 2" deep wall to retain fire and coals.
Wallah! Franken forge.
I still plan on mounting some lawn mower wheels on the side under the blower. Then with a handle that can be held in the vice the whole thing can be moved around wheelbarrel style. I also still have to weld up the grate to keep the coals from falling out of the fire. All totaled there was $60 spent. The rest was scrounged material. After all, that's what blacksmiths do. Build things from other things.
I think the boys will like it.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT FrankenForge

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Very clever.. Well Done 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I want to see the Anvil
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Keep us updated on the project. Looks cool. Useful, too...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

On the road again!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :D :shock:
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Neat stuff!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

That looks like a great little forge. Good job on teaching some kids what you know.
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

Nice work Gobbler!

I like the "counterweight" system you devised to offset that Champion.

I hope you really get it through to those kids to treasure and respect than hundred year old blower. They're getting fewer and further between.

Here's pics of my "junkyard" build. Everything but the tuyere and clinker breaker was scrounged from scrapyards. The Champion 400 was sold to me by a 'smithing friend.

http://tinyurl.com/2vf8nvn

We have several young men around those ages that come to our Guild meetings. One in particular is going to be a "serious" 'smith if he stays with it.

Thanks for sharing your project.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

That looks to be a good design forge for a junkyard build.
The boys haven't seen the drum forge yet. The next lesson is, I think, the first Saturday in November. My plan is for them to do the first fire of the forge. Then I plan to have them help me make a hardie or two for their anvil. After that I will deliver the portable setup to their home. Mom's mini-van ain't gonna get it. It's interesting how intelligent these kids are. The younger one is in to Medieval stuff. He showed up with chain mail on for one lesson to show me. I was amazed.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

It looks like a great way to keep a young mind focused on something worthwhile.

Way to go Gobbler!
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I like them both much fancier then my set up. I really need to get a welder and learn how to use it.
One of these days I will get my gas Forge put together but for now coal is to much fun.

Here is the anvil set up I have for my boys.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

Well the boys came for their lesson and they got to light their forge for the first time and I thought you would like to be kept up to date. It worked great, too. They worked on making a dipper for the slack tub and a fire rake to work the fire. Then I made them a hot hardie for their anvil and we hardened and tempered it.
Everything will get delivered to their house Monday morning.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Too cool. Keep us updated as to their progress.
Old Law Dawg
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Outstanding work boys!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Looks like it went great. :D My boys and I like to spend time together banging on hot steel.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis