OT: Case Lube?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

OT: Case Lube?

Post by Mainehunter »

I thought awhile ago there was a topic here regarding case lube but tried searching for it and came up with nothing. So my question is what is the quickest way to resize large batches of brass? And as for lube I have been using RCBS for years now but I don't know in this situation if spray will be quicker. Thanks!

Mainehunter :wink:
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: Case Lube?

Post by Cliff »

Depending on caliber and amount of cases to be lubed, I would use something like Lee water soluable case lube (Wire Pulling Lube) mixed up with water, Ratio is about 10 parts water I part case lube. Use a large bucket, dump the brass into the solution, strain it out, let the brass dry and load it up. I have used it on 30-30's and pistol cases with good luck. The spray lubes are handy and quick as well just remember you may have to remove the lube before using the ammo. I have found the liquid method puts a very thin layer of waxy stuff which doesn't cause any problems. Otherwise any type of lube which is easy to clean off is the way to go on large quanity of brass. Have a good day.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

Guy on local gunboard suggests that sprayinag lube results in more stuck cases. I've never heard that before and it's not my experience.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Cliff wrote:I would use something like Lee water soluable case lube (Wire Pulling Lube) mixed up with water, Ratio is about 10 parts water I part case lube.
Is the Lee lube actually just wire-pulling lube...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Dillon spray lube is what I've been using for years and I'm really happy with it. I resize, decap, and trim my .223 brass in 1,000 case batches. On the other hand, Hornady One Shot is problematic for most people who try it.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

I use RCBS lube and a lube pad. Grab a hand full of cases roll on the pad maybe drag a couple of case mouths across lightly to get a little inside and run them through the press, repeat as needed. Once resized into the tumbler (vibrating kind) to clean off lube etc. I also have a Lyman dry lube station with the motor mica and brushes, dip one into the dry lube every once in a while keeps everything running well. Haven't had a stuck case in a long time. (touch wood my head actually)
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

I've used vaseline for years and never had a problem. I work it into a RCBS lube pad and then roll the cases on it. I've never had a problem, you just really have to remember with it though that less is more.
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Crisco for .45-70. I have a dowel in my drill press just the right size turning at low speed. I apply the Crisco with my fingers and as it warms from body heat, it tends to act as a solvent loosening crud. It's time-taking, but I'm retired. Most of this is done while I'm watching TV. After sizing, I shove one on the dowel, wipe it while it turns with paper towel. And while it's turning, I clean the primer pocket with about a 10 ga. copper stranded wire, stripped of insulation for 1/4 inch or so.

Only down side, apart from the time, is the slight aroma when you shoot these. You end up with an incredible desire for fried chicken. :D
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

RCBS case lube works best for me. I'm sure any other liquid lube is fine.

I've tried Hornady One Shot and Cabela's spray on lube. Don't like it. Get an occasional stuck case which negates any and all time savings as opposed to just using your fingers to lube each one with a liquid lube.

Anybody who wants to try the One Shot or Cabela's non-aerosol lube-just send me $4.95 for shipping and I'll mail them both to you.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I was using Redding Imperial Case Lube but it seemed to cause dented cases. So, now I use Lee case lube with no problems. Diluting the Lee with water sounds interesting to me--makes it much more cost efficient.

rimrock
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Old Shatterhand »

Castor oil from the farmacy and RCBS pad make a good combination. Having used Lee toothpaste and RCBS lube, I was recommended castor oil by the shop master of the gun factory Varberger. It makes the work easier, and my Lee Challenger press could handle .30-06 cases without flexing.

Old Sh.
Winchester model 88 .308 WCF
Winchester model 71 .348 WCF
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Here is one of the threads you may be looking for.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=25159
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I use Imperial sizing die wax. rimrock , You are using too much, If you can feel the lube on the case its enough.

This method is not for large production in my book. I would use a spray lube. I have been happy with the stuff that Midway sells in the past.

I tumble in untreated corncob to remove lube before loading.
:wink:
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I use Dillon's spray lube, but it sounds as if that
diluted Lee recipe might have some merit.

-Stretch
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Cliff wrote:Depending on caliber and amount of cases to be lubed, I would use something like Lee water soluable case lube (Wire Pulling Lube) mixed up with water, Ratio is about 10 parts water I part case lube. Use a large bucket, dump the brass into the solution, strain it out, let the brass dry and load it up. I have used it on 30-30's and pistol cases with good luck. The spray lubes are handy and quick as well just remember you may have to remove the lube before using the ammo. I have found the liquid method puts a very thin layer of waxy stuff which doesn't cause any problems. Otherwise any type of lube which is easy to clean off is the way to go on large quanity of brass. Have a good day.
Thanks for all the good info gents! :) I think using the Lee and mixing it with water sounds interesting, may have to try it but I'm wondering about the coating that is left on the inside of the case :| It shouldn't interfere with powder/primer ignition. Right :?:

Mainehunter :wink:
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

Yes Lee's case lube is the same as wire pulling lube. Only they put in smaller tubes. Check with supply house who sell to electrical contractors. You can usually find it in one liter size and up. I understand Lee buys it in 50 or 55 gallon drums which can get pricey. Makes great patch lube for muzzle loading rifles as well. I cut it a little with water and some ammonia in the water to cut BP fouling. Actually Water Soluable Machine oil works very well for patch lube as well. Soak patches, then press out excess liquid and let set a day or two in a tin or something to distribute evenly. Only problem I have with the water soluable machine oil is having to buy it in 5 gallon lots. It goes a long way. Normal mix is 5 parts water one part oil, and a couple of other things. Good Luck.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

COSteve wrote:Dillon spray lube is what I've been using for years and I'm really happy with it.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I take RCBS lube and mix half a bottle (2oz) in a 16 ounce trigger sprayer, with alcohol. It is water soluable and most alcohol you get at the store is 30% water, unless you get the 91% stuff. Shake them to mix and spray (outside!!). Let the alcohol evaporate and you are good to go. Wash off with hot water, let dry, load.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

I use Hornady "One Shot" -- and it works great for me, and very little goes a long way. (Is sprayed on...)

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Ok I am old! at least at the reloading game. I used the old RCBS stiky like honey stuff, now I use the Lee lube :D A few less oil dents when using the Lee stuff for case forming but I do let it dry. I find most case lubes sold do the same dam thing,but do find the Lee stuff to clean up better for me anyway.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I put on Lee lube with fingers, but I still do them one at a time.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV