OT help scope sliding upon recoil Updated mystery solved

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

OT help scope sliding upon recoil Updated mystery solved

Post by fordwannabe »

Okay this is not the first scope I have mounted, or the 51st for that matter but I am confused at this point, so help a levergunner out PLEASE!
I have restocked an old sporter mauser for a friend(super nice tulip, half oct half round, engraved) I finished the inletting,did the finish work retouched some bluing ect, but the mounts and rings look like they were done much later and not as well. I returned the original rings and scope to the rifle and it was WAY off. Neither I nor the owner had ever shot the gun due to the broken stock so we don't know what it shot like before. I needed adjustment and in a hurry so I got a set of millet rings with the double adjustable allen screws. I put the bottom of the rings on and used alignment rods to get it straight. I used the shims(little black things on a piece of paper) from the ring package and I really tighten them down(actually I think it was too much but) bore sighted and headed to the range First shot the shim comes out and whacks me in the head, scope is moving back and forth at will. Okay now what? I need this done tonight so I can take it to the range to sight in so he can take it up to hunting camp on Thursday. Any ideas using common stuff I have or can get in a hurry.(I have accra glass, brass shim stock,electrical tape,black paper, contact cement lots of the things I hear other use but I want some experienced advise without bubba'ing it up. Thanks guys. Tom
Last edited by fordwannabe on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT help scope sliding upon recoil

Post by bsaride »

Scope and rings are the same size?
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

I had a set of oversize rings once and I lined the the full bearing surface with a single piece of black electrical tape. The scope has held for about 20 years so far, however, I've never taken it off.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

is there a chance you have a set of 26MM rings instead of 1 inchers? They were fairly common on european rifles.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I got the millet rings at the local gun shop, used them lots of times before never an issue.
I thought of electrical tape but I want to be a good as I can on this one, but desparate times....

I thought I might have gottem 30 mm but that would be too much of a difference, even I would notice that one.
Thanks for the replies and keep em coming. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Try GE clear silicon

Some people use the return address stickers that go on envelopes(about right size)but poses some moisture risk.
You stated maybe you over tighted the screws? They are in any way stripped ?
I like to Loctite the bases only and with the rings they only get exact measured required torque and on those no Loctite. :wink:
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Not stripped but tight. I know some people use contact cement and haven't tried it myself. Clear silicone might try that. Anymore ideas? Tom
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

The only thing I have ever used is fine wet n' dry paper. Something seems odd here :?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Nath, I am with you I didn't have a chance to look the rings over real well yesterday. But I will tonight and the LGS is open until 9 so I will have an answer even if I have to go buy another set of rings. Actually I called the LGS and they said if I had an issue bring them back and try another set. Gotta like a LGS instead of big box. I have these rings evenly tightened and they are pretty close between top and bottom, something ain't right. Tom
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It would be good if you could measure scope and rings!!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Duct tape seems to work even better (gotta tear it into narrower strips) than electrical tape, maybe due to the stiffer glue in it, or the fibers weaved into it.

Something isn't 'fit' right though; that gun isn't exactly a 6 pound .416 Rigby...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

I've used the white cloth adhesive (medical) tape trimmed to where it doesn't show with good success for this. It's thicker and seems to grab better than electrical tape.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"I had a set of oversize rings once and I lined the the full bearing surface with a single piece of black electrical tape. The scope has held for about 20 years so far, however, I've never taken it off."
+1 on using the black electrical tape.

I use it on ALL my scopes, and years later, I can move them to another (or a new :D ) rifle, and there are no ugly marks or scrapes to deal with. I once tried to sell a used Leupold scope as "used" but I got closer to a "NIB" price (as I had the original box and papers) just because it still looked like a new scope.

Never had a scope slip with it either...

Hope you figure it out on your end.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT help scope sliding upon recoil Updated mystery solved

Post by fordwannabe »

Mystery solved! I took them back to the my LGS and the owner replaced them right away. He has had another set, which he was installing on a rifle ,be oversized from that lot of rings and handed me another set from a different lot and they tightened right up. I will shoot it at lunch today but it feels much tighter. Tom