Tumbling Media

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Tumbling Media

Post by Huntermb »

I was just wondering if anyone had ever tried the small glass beads used for sandblasting in their tumbler for brass polishing and if it worked okay?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tumbling Media

Post by BigSky56 »

Never tried that just ground walnut shells with case brightener additive. danny
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

yeah I"ve been using corncob but I have some access to this stuff so was wondering if anyone had tried it. I figure it might be a little too abrasive
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Stay with corn cob. Its cheap, works, and can be washed over and over and used again. My guess is those little glass beads will somehow find their way into the action of your gun, besides, they don't have any absorbing qualities.--------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

Sixgun wrote:Stay with corn cob. Its cheap, works, and can be washed over and over and used again. My guess is those little glass beads will somehow find their way into the action of your gun, besides, they don't have any absorbing qualities.--------Sixgun
I hadn't even considered the absorbant part of things. That is a very good point. I will stick with the corn cob and I think I"ll get some walnut to try.
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

I've done it. Very aggressive. Appropriate for very dirty range brass. Don't walk away & forget it. I checked mine every 30 mins. You might try apricot pit if you have some. A lot gentler than glass but quicker than walnut.

I'd say glass cleans but is not appropriate for buffing or polishing.
Huntermb
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Huntermb »

Thanks 2571, that is kind of how I figured this stuff would play out.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I use ground walnut from the pet store. It's a little cheaper than brand name media. I think you can get corn cob at the pet store also. Harbor Freight sells triangle shaped plastic tumbling media and I've been thinking about giving it a shot. I wouldn't have the absorbing qualities, but it would last virtually forever.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Sixgun wrote:Stay with corn cob. Its cheap, works, and can be washed over and over and used again. My guess is those little glass beads will somehow find their way into the action of your gun, besides, they don't have any absorbing qualities.--------Sixgun
How do you wash it? The media is expensive enough that I'm willing to try and clean it for re-use.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

PetSmart lizard litter (walnut) and cheap liquid auto wax from WalMart are what I've settled on after trying a bunch of the more expensive medias and polishes/additives. Right now, Turtle Wax is my 'go to polish' and I can't see any difference between it and Flitz besides the cost.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

COSteve wrote:PetSmart lizard litter (walnut) and cheap liquid auto wax from WalMart are what I've settled on after trying a bunch of the more expensive medias and polishes/additives. Right now, Turtle Wax is my 'go to polish' and I can't see any difference between it and Flitz besides the cost.

++++++ for the Lizard litter. Drier sheets takes the dust out.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

vancelw wrote:
Sixgun wrote: How do you wash it? The media is expensive enough that I'm willing to try and clean it for re-use.
Easy :D Just put the corn cob in a five gallon bucket. (or some kind of tub) Fill it with hot water and add a cup of laundry detergent. Then (here's the tricky part :D ) get a stick and wash that baby up. I use one of those "stirring mechanisms" you buy at Home Depot that you stick in your drill.

Wash her up for a while, then your going to need a sifter. I use a three foot piece of screen bordered by thin wood slats (like a picture frame :D ) Pour it out on the screen and rinse it off with a hose.

You can dry it out just by using the good ole sun. I pour it on the outside cement patio and spread it around. The stuff looks like new when done. I've been using the same 20 pounds of corn cob for about 10 years.

As you may or may not know, the junk you wash out is heavily loaded with lead---lead from the bullets and primers---use common sense about where the water runs off to and don't drink it. :D ----------------Sixgun
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

You mean I can't just put it in the clothes washing machine :D

I was afraid you'd describe manual labor :o :lol:

Seriously, when I asked I was thinking about a butter churn type setup. I like your way better. I have everything I need to do that except I'd have to make a screen or buy a sifter. I figured the cob would get soft and disintegrate if you got it wet.
I'll make sure an never throw any away now. That stuff ain't cheap.

Thanks.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Vancelw,
Your welcome. The stuff comes out nice and crispy just like when it was new. I'm with 'ya on the "expensive" part. I save bucks when I can. I recycle lead when I can. If I could only figure out how to reuse the spent primers and burnt gunpowder, I'd really be in business. :D

Washing machine? Sure, if.........you have a wringer washer. After washing, just drop the drain hose and let it all run in a bucket. You might have to add more water to push it all out of the drain hose. I have two of these washers and seriously thought about it but the added job of cleaning the machine ain't worth it.----------Sixgun
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I was teasing about the washing machine. (don't want the wife to know I know how to use one) Always looking for a lazy way out. :D I'd like to have a real washing machine like you've got there :mrgreen: