Well I got my first Savage 99

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Well I got my first Savage 99

Post by jjames »

Picked up my GunBroker.com Savage 303 tonight . The Auction didn't mention it was a takedown model so that was a plus. It was listed as a carbine and it certainly has a 20" barrel but I am somewhat concerned that it has been bobbed to 20" because it is so square at the end and basically no perceptable crown.

Can I find out based upon the serial number how this thing left the factory?

Also is there a good source for disassembly and re-assembly instructions? I would like to strip her down and clean her up a bit as she looks abit funky down in the bowels of the magazine.

I think I may have caught a new disease! Isn't an addiction for Winchester and Marlins with a Puma and Henry thrown in enough?

I know where are the pictures. Flog me later I want run a few more cleaning patches down the throat.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Congratulations! I got mine back after being separated for 20 years. It is one of my favorite rifles. Sorry, I am no help in deciphering the vintage, factory specs or takedown.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

99s RULE!!! Congrats!
Now stop cleaning that slinky savage beauty now & leave some of the rifling in that barrel!.. Wipe the slobber off'n yer mowf & post a pic!..

Go here for Date Of Manufacture
http://www.savage99.com/
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

Manufacture date 1920. Here are pictures of my hunting buddies also.

I think the barrel has been cut but I just don't know enough about Savage 99s
32-20
Levergunner

Post by 32-20 »

JJ
Early 99's had flat muzzles, so yours may be ok. These guys can tell you anything else you may want to know.
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... /40/page/1
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You can get info there on a couple of books that will help as well. Worth the money, if you ask me.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Nice snag--read---you will learn. And yes, we see your buddies. To me, dogs are better buddies than people. Only thing they ask for is a place to sleep, a little food and to be able to spend time with 'ya.

Funny thing, I just took a picture of a box of Savage in 303 last night.

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

This is about the best Savage 1895, 1899, & 99 site I've come across. You can spend a lot of time in here and in their links.

http://www.savage99.com/

Nice rifle you've got there. Should be an easy carry gun.
ED
Yer never too old
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Congrats! 8)
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

Thanks for the kind words and advice. I ordered three boxes of ammo from Reeds. Factory ammo is drawing a premium on GB. If the guns shoots well I wll start reloading.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

nice rifle, love the pics of dogs.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Very Nice, I have one just like it (1915) except it has a Marbles folding tang site on it. Mine is a good shooter and I bet Yours will be also. Jim.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Allso You can get a reproduction of th original Savage Hangtag that came with these guns, it has general information about the gun and takedown instructions. is pretty cool. lots of them for other guns also.Jim.
http://www.rediscovered-shooting-treasu ... /index.htm
Paco
Site Owner

Post by Paco »

[b]:( I LOVE MY SAVAGE 303.. BUT GETTING BRASS IS THE PROBLEM... ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM ANYONE???? I AM USING REFORMED 22 SWIFT CASES BUT THEY ARE NOT GREAT.... PACO :roll: [/b]
PACO/OWNER
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Paco,Huntington's show Norma brass. Jim.
http://www.huntingtons.com/cases_norma.html
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Huntington's have NORMA made 303 Savage cases and not too pricey http://www.huntingtons.com/cases_norma.html
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

jjames, The American Rifleman magazine did an article called Those "Confounded Savage Carbines." I think about 10-12 years ago. Very informitive of all the small changes made over the years. I have a 1899B in 303 from 1904.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

What model is it? ... looks like an model B...take down..rifle butt plate.. but with a 20" carbine barrel on it..
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

Ben_Rumson, My 1899B is a standard straight stock cresent buttplate rifle. My 99 Trapper is from the 20's. It is in 30-30 with a fruitwood stock.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

I wish I knew what model she is. Informed opinions are welcomed. If anyone has a similar vintage and a set of calipers I would guess the diameter at the muzzle would be a good indication if my 20" barrel has been cut down. My calipers read .714" at the muzzle. That seems big to me. In all honesty, a minor distraction I bought it because I like perch-belly 99s and it wasn't particularily dear. I am not a collector from an investment sense. Just something to feed my addiction.