OT: Colt 22 Peacemaker

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

OT: Colt 22 Peacemaker

Post by Martini450 »

As you all may remember from some of my previous posts, I am the proud dad of one and a half year old twin boys. While it may be eight or ten years before they begin shooting, my mind is already thinking ahead to what to put in their hands when the time comes. I've a Colt New Frontier 22 with a 6" barrel in the cabinet that will fill the bill, but would really rather have the Peacemaker version without the adjustable sights. Don't know about everyone else, but when I was ten or twelve, the cool factor of the Peacemaker model would have been off the charts.

What I'd like to do is sell the New Frontier I have and put the money towards a Peacemaker. There is a 6" Peacemaker I've seen recently at a gunshop I frequent, and it's in essentially mint condition, with the 22 Magnum cylinder and the factory box. So here's my question to you all. They're asking $950.00, which seems a little high to me, but it is a gorgeous revolver. Would anyone like to share their opinion on this?

Can't wait to get the squirts out to the range the first time!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: OT: Colt 22 Peacemaker

Post by J Miller »

I've had both.

Keep the New Frontier and buy the Peacemaker.
Two boys = two guns.

Besides you cannot beat those adjustable sights for a better sight picture, and the New Frontier has it's own "cool" factor.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

I would want to teach aiming with a pistol that shoots to point of aim... Not one that may need to be held off with Kentucky Windage as you might get with the Peacemaker...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

Thanks for the replies. Both good points, and I have a Ruger Mark II that addresses both. I just remember being a kid and thinking the Colt 22 Peacemaker was one of the neatest things I'd seen, so maybe there's a little vicarious living going on here. I figure if I've got the adjustable site semi-auto on one end, and the old style single action on the other, that's enough difference to really grab their interest.
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Funny you should post this just now. My local gun shop has the New Frontier version for sale for a couple hundred bucks. I've been thinking of buying it.
ED
Yer never too old
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

They're nice little revolvers. I've had mine for over twenty years, and the only reason for wanting to switch out is I'm a traditionalist. If you can pick one up for a couple hundred bucks, I'd grab it.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I happened to be looking to buy one of the adjustable sight versions myself. I hear what you say about the coolness factor of the slick top. good luck on your choice.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Just for the record, the Peacemaker version I had was dead on for windage and elevation. It didn't need any kentucky windage.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cavebear803
Levergunner

Post by cavebear803 »

For what it is worth; I have one of each and wouldn't trade them for anything. Niether would I trade one for another of the other!! As an aside to this I have seen them in the Gun digest and Shotgun News in the box with both cylinders for ALOT less than 950!! And from what I have seen in this area when they do come up for sale(infrequently) they are running around 500 or so LNIB.
Everyday is a learning day!
Pain is good, pain is our friend, pain is the ONE TRUE constant in a changing world! Sargent David L. Meyers gone but not forgotten.
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

J Miller wrote:Just for the record, the Peacemaker version I had was dead on for windage and elevation. It didn't need any kentucky windage.

Joe
Mine too. I've had mine for a lot of years...some ammo it likes and shoots to point of aim, others not so much. Find what does and stock up on it...and IMO $950 is roughly twice as high as it should be.

Ed
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

FYI,..have you seen the 12 shot model from U.S. Firearms.? I don't have one, but I've heard they make nice stuff. Might be worth a look since they're comparable in price.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I sure wouldn’t want to part with my New Frontier. :)
Martini450
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Martini450 »

That is one pretty New Frontier Casastahle. Makes me think I should hold on to the one I have, and try to find a Peacemaker to go with it.

Hadn't heard of that twelve shot U.S. Firearms model. Looks interesting, although it looks to be a full size revolver so it may be a little big for adolescent hands.

Lots of good food for thought in everyone's responses. Thanks for the input.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

simply the best 12 shooter out there. :wink:
12226.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Martini450 wrote:That is one pretty New Frontier Casastahle. Makes me think I should hold on to the one I have, and try to find a Peacemaker to go with it.

Hadn't heard of that twelve shot U.S. Firearms model. Looks interesting, although it looks to be a full size revolver so it may be a little big for adolescent hands.

Lots of good food for thought in everyone's responses. Thanks for the input.
Thanks, and that was my intention :wink:
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

Modoc ED wrote:Funny you should post this just now. My local gun shop has the New Frontier version for sale for a couple hundred bucks. I've been thinking of buying it.
I think I'd jump on that one.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

I bought a peacemaker w/both cylinders for about $400 about 10 years ago.

Love it. Shoots well especially with the mag cylinder and do my hunting with it.