Holy Cow! Did you guys see why Boge is selling his guns?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Holy Cow! Did you guys see why Boge is selling his guns?

Post by Tycer »

Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Re: Holy Cow! Did you guys see why Boge is selling his guns?

Post by Hobie »

Neat stuff, isn't it! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

:D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Whoooeeee!!!!! Those are beyond nice!! If I had the money I'd loan it to Boge so that he could get the other that is for sale. Man! what a collection!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks, Tom
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

While neat guns, I see it as nothing more than selling new stuff for other new stuff. Its not as if he was purchasing Bill Ruger's personal FT serial #1.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

:( can't get the page to load :(
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

Now that is quite the collection there! WOW
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

If I live to be a 1000 I'll never understand those backwards single actions. They are of very little interest to me. More of a curiosity than a gun.

But I guess when you gotta have something, you just gotta have it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

J Miller wrote:If I live to be a 1000 I'll never understand those backwards single actions.
I understand Mr. Grover's reason for putting the loading gate on the left side, but, I'm with the professor, it doesn't appeal to me. I wouldn't pass one up a #5 for a reasonable price if presented. Now I don't blame anyone for going after something they have a passion for and it's great Boge was able to make it work.
Old Law Dawg
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Is the left hand loading gate what makes them so valuable? If not,..what is it.? Give me some history lessons.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Is the left hand loading gate what makes them so valuable? If not,..what is it.? Give me some history lessons.
This is just a brief history lesson and it is from my memory only, so some facts may be omitted or incorrect, but here it goes....

Bill Grover founded Texas Longhorn Arms and was somewhat of a pioneer. It is my understanding that the loading gate is not left handed at all, but was put on the opposite side so you could load with your left hand and the gun never leaves your strong hand. It would take some getting used to, but it's an innovative idea nonetheless. Grover's guns were also built like a tank with exceptional craftsmanship, akin to modern day Freedom Arms, or Linebaugh and Bowen tuned guns. They are somewhat of a rarity because TLA went bankrupt or something, and the company didn't produce that many guns. I also believe that Grover died not too long after that. Or maybe Grover died and the company desolved, but I don't really remember.

Anyone that has better or more complete info please correct my mistakes.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

He saved some money by not puttin any screws in the side of the frames. :wink:
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

deerwhacker444 wrote:Is the left hand loading gate what makes them so valuable? If not,..what is it.? Give me some history lessons.
Quality and rarity as well as the right handed design is what makes the guns valuable. Unique design, quality and relative rarity are usually indicators that any given thing will be in demand and fetch good prices. Applies to jewelry, automobiles, vintage clothing, etc..
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

I am left-handed, and it always has seemed to me that the traditional configuration works better for me than it should for a right-hander. Loading in the manner of a right-handed shooter seems very awkward to me. Obviously that is partially due to unfamiliarity, but still.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

shooter wrote:
deerwhacker444 wrote:Bill Grover founded Texas Longhorn Arms and was somewhat of a pioneer. It is my understanding that the loading gate is not left handed at all, but was put on the opposite side so you could load with your left hand and the gun never leaves your strong hand. It would take some getting used to, but it's an innovative idea nonetheless. Grover's guns were also built like a tank with exceptional craftsmanship, akin to modern day Freedom Arms, or Linebaugh and Bowen tuned guns. They are somewhat of a rarity because TLA went bankrupt or something, and the company didn't produce that many guns. I also believe that Grover died not too long after that. Or maybe Grover died and the company desolved, but I don't really remember.
John Taffin wrote in his article about TLA in American Handgunner "...Texas Longhorn Arms closed their doors in the late 1990s. Grover was a master gunbuilder but a lousy businessman. He never expected such a demand for his Improved Number Fives that he would be unable to keep up with production. That hurt his business tremendously. Add to this his trusting in the wrong people, and the inevitable happened."

Bill Grover died in 2004.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

So how much value will they lose when he shoots them for our entertainment and education? He will be doing a review, right!?