OT- What do you think about this old photo?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- What do you think about this old photo?

Post by rangerider7 »

"That'll Be The Day"
Hobie

Re: OT- What do you think about this old photo?

Post by Hobie »

Looks like a southwest NA cowboy to me. Are those IVORY grips?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Reckon I'd say he's spent some time sittin' a saddle.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Hobie wrote:Looks like a southwest NA cowboy to me. Are those IVORY grips?
not sothwest, colorado or wyoming mayhaps. woolly leggin's and the saddle he's leaning on,
make me think higher and colder. but most likely the real deal. i like his rawhide riata also.

but why no shells in his belt?
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Getting warmer!!!!!
"That'll Be The Day"
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

By his facial features, he appears to be what we'd call an Indian, dressed up, for what reason I can't imagine, in cowboy garb. That's my 2 cents. Oh, & why no catridges in his gunbelt, as the other gent pointed out? jd45
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

"...woolly leggin's and the saddle he's leaning on, make me think higher and colder..."
That was my thought too -- I'm guessing from the mountainous areas of Argentina!

And... the answer is???

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Looks like one mad Apache to me some talked into dress'n up
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

The old photo was made towards the back of the Hamley Saddle Shop in Portland Oregon. The NA is Jackson Sundown.
Jackson Sundown (1863-December 18, 1923), born Waaya-Tonah-Toesits-Kahn (meaning Blanket of the Sun)[1], was a Native American rodeo rider who has become a folk-hero for his mythic performance in the 1916 Pendleton Round-Up, largely popularized by Ken Kesey's novel The Last Go 'Round. He was born in 1863 in the Wallowa Band of the Nez Perce tribe. The Nez Perce were renowned for their mastery of horses and Sundown learned how to breed and raise horses at an early age. By the age of 14 he was active in the Nez Perce War, led by Chief Joseph. Unlike Joseph and many of his tribesmen, Sundown escaped the US Cavalry during the Nez Perce Retreat of 1877 and fled to Canada with a small group of wounded warriors. Legend holds that Sundown stayed for two years with a group of Sioux, including the iconic Sitting Bull. He was considered to be a war criminal and lived in hiding with Sitting Bull and those that defeated General George Custer at the Battle of Little Big Horn.[2]

In 1879, Sundown returned to the US and lived with family on the Flathead Reservation, then moved to Washington briefly before settling back in Montana with Cecilia Wapshela, a ranch owner. All the while, Sundown made his living by breeding, raising, 'breaking' and selling horses. To make additional money, Sundown entered into rodeos and dominated his opponents, many of whom would withdraw after learning that he would participate. Jackson Sundown won many all-around cashpots, which takes the highest average scores from all events, though he was best known for bareback and saddle bronc horse riding. His appearance differed greatly from other rodeo riders as he wore bright colored shirts, large and elegant woolen chaps and tied his long braids under his chin. Sundown entered into rodeos across the west and in Canada until his early 50s.

In 1915 at age 52, he took third place in the all-around at the Pendleton Roundup and decided to retire from rodeo, which had wrecked his body. The following year, an artist who was doing a sculpture of Sundown convinced him to enter the Roundup one last time, an offer that Sundown only accepted after the artist agreed to pay the entry fee .[3] Sundown was twice the age of the other semi-finalists but advanced after high scores in the saddle bronc and bareback horseriding competitions. His final ride is an event of great mythology to this day among American Indians and rodeo aficionados. It is told that Sundown drew a very fierce horse named Angel and that the horse bucked so furiously that Sundown removed his cowboy hat and fanned the horse to get it to cool off, at which time he and the horse merged into one being. Sundown won the all-around event and became immortalized as a hero of the Confederated Tribes of the Umatilla, which includes the Nez Perce. Sundown died of pneumonia 7 years later at the age of 59 and was buried at Slickpoo Mission Cemetery near Jacques Spur, Idaho. At the time of his death, the US Government did not consider Native Americans to be American Citizens.

A large gathering of Native Americans continues at the Pendleton Roundup in Pendleton, Oregon where a pow-wow is held during the Round-up in late September. Stories of Waaya-Tonah-Toesits-Kaun continue to fill the air at this event among the drumming, fry bread, gambling and rodeoing.

"That'll Be The Day"
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Once again Rangerider You have made My day much richer. Thank You for all of the Great pictures You post here. Great Story. Wow.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

By the way the old photo was taken to advertise the catalog or flyer in his right hand for the Hamley Saddle Company. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

That photo was taken in the 19-teens?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

The photo is undated. I would say it was taken around 1905-07 Griff.
"That'll Be The Day"
darkwater
Levergunner 1.0

Post by darkwater »

Great history, thanks!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

.45colt wrote:Once again Rangerider You have made My day much richer. Thank You for all of the Great pictures You post here. Great Story. Wow.
DITTO :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

I have a pair of those old chaps with the "hair?" that belonged to my Grandfather when he did some homesteading. I never knew what the were designed for, looks or function. Are they of any value?
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Gobblerforge, they are usually referred to as woollies. They kept the legs warm in the cold weather states. Yes they are worth something. If the condition is good and they have a makers mark they are worth considerably more. Angora fur was the common hide used. They can bring anywhere from $500.00 to thousands it depends on the maker and condition. They came in all colors but the most common was black or natural white. Check on EBay they probably have some on auction. They are a nice piece of history of your grandfather's. I would try to take good care of them because they can easily be damaged by insects. Good luck!
"That'll Be The Day"
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Really, really cool!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I keep thinking there will be a book...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Hobie, I wrote two chapters in a book call "OLD WEST ANTIQUES and COLLECTABLES". One on Spurs and the other on cowboy leather cuffs. That was in 1978. That's me Robert O'Dell. There are many great books out now on the history I collect. It took me forever to do those two chapters. :lol: P.S. My older sister Fauneil did all the art work inside and out.

"That'll Be The Day"
Phideaux
Levergunner

Post by Phideaux »

What a great story, little did we know you were a famous writer too. :D
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marc »

I read Kesey's book several years ago. Interesting to see a picture of the main character and to see the rest of the story. I might have to read that book again. Thanks.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

These are the chaps. With a pair if his boots and the old hand bag it's all been in for, oh, 50 years I'm aware of. I turned 50 this year. :wink: The leather is nice and soft with minimal scuffing and wear I think. Used but not abused. I should probably display them instead of storing them. What do you think?
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Hey Gobbler Forge, You probably noticed it, but your Grandad's chaps were apparently made in the very same saddlery depicted in the old photo of RR 7's. Interesting coincidence???
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

COOL ! Thanks! :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Another cool photo! 8)
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Great Stuff Guys, THANKS
It is not the critic who counts
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

gobbler, those are treasures for a fact. homesteader, huh?
i would say he was more, maybe much more. rodeo/showman?
those boots are special too. maker? look custom made, and in
the style that rodeo fellas wore in the '40s.

and none of that kit came cheap, even in the day.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

very interesting...thanks :D
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
RDB
Levergunner 1.0

Post by RDB »

"The old photo was made towards the back of the Hamley Saddle Shop in Portland Oregon."

My 2 cents but I think that picture was taken in Hamely's shop in Pendelton, not Portland. I stop in once in a while and from the first picture after I saw it was a saddle shop I thought of Hamley's shop today. I'd bet the picture was taken on the saddle shop side amost where the saddles start now.

Great history btw, thanks!

More here:
http://www.nezperce.org/Official/jacksonsundown.htm
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

Rangerider7,

Outstanding post. Thanks.

Don McCullough
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I just looked up that book (OLD WEST ANTIQUES and COLLECTABLES) on ABEbooks. $$$$$ :shock:
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Yes, I know 20cows, I wish I had kept a few. I got 22 books for doing the two chapters. I sold them for 22.50 a piece and gave the rest to my kids and friends. I knew we were the first to do this kind of book in 1978 but had no idea it would become a collectors item. I like to think my sister's art work had a lot to do with it. The other writers were very knowledgeable in their collecting fields. There was very little written history of spurs or cuffs at that time. I just used mostly the knowledge of Mr. Huff, Mr. Mitchell, and A.W. Hunter (old time collectors and traders) and the little I could find in a few older magazine articles for my part. A.W. was my main source. I had traded with him and learned all I could. He just didn't have the ability to write that well, nor did I. He felt uncomfortable so I took on the task and had an English teacher friend of mine edit it. My mom and dad were very proud of the my sister and I after they saw it. I never thought they would be worth what they are today. My sister still has a few. Who Knew!!!! :mrgreen:
"That'll Be The Day"
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

rangerider7 thank you for that, I always enjoy the discussion around an old photograph.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That is all great stuff to read about: the Native American Cowboy, his story, and your story as well Rangerider. Reminds one of what an awesome Country that we are priviledged to live in, with some of the best and most interesting folks in the world.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8