My 'new' Winchester 1886 range results (photos)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

My 'new' Winchester 1886 range results (photos)

Post by KirkD »

Last week I picked up an original Winchester Model 1886, 45-70, received in the warehouse July 1, 1890. It's a nice rifle, with still a bit of case color here and there on the receiver, and a bore that is bright with strong rifling and zero pitting. Here's a photo of the old classic.

I want to develop a load for this rifle that has the same ballistics as the original BP load, which means 405 grain cast bullet leaving the barrel at around 1,300 fps or slightly less. I've been trying a few different powders and it looks like SR4759 and 2400 will be my two powders of choice. Both of them have similar pressure curves to BP for the same bullet and ballistics. Today I tried 2400 for the first time, putting 21 grains behind a plain base cast bullet of 405 grains. It gave 1,254 fps with an extreme spread of 77 fps. I'd like to boost this up another 40 fps but here's the results, 5 shots into 2 & 5/16" at 100 yards. I was shooting with open iron sights, so I'm sure the limiting factor is me, not the rifle. Here's a photo of the target ....

My SR 4759 load put 4 shots into 1 & 1/4" at 100 yards, but the fifth was a flyer that went in about 2" low, so I don't know about that load. I've got some more loaded up and will try it again, just in case the flyer was me. This rifle is going Whitetail Deer hunting this fall, along with my original Winchester Model 1873 38-40.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Re: My 'new' Winchester 1886 range results (photos)

Post by Marc »

Pretty is as pretty does! Dang, that's pretty!
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Kirk, I too love hunting game with the old levers. That's a great photo of your 86. Good luck! I haven't seen or been able to call a coyote in 4 months. I hear them but they are staying on the surrounding ranches. There is very little sign on my lease right now. We used to have a big 58 pound lobo on the place. I killed him last year with an AR 15, 223. I guess they still respect his area. :lol:
"That'll Be The Day"
Phideaux
Levergunner

Post by Phideaux »

Kirk, that's great shooting with open sights! Looks like you have your load.
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

That gun makes my heart beat faster. Just a beautiful rifle. A shooter as well.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

That would be a worthy addition to anyones cross sticks !
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Are you using a filler with that smallish load of 2400? I know you've done fillers in the past and it looks like that 21 grains is likely under 1/2 the case capacity with the bullet seated.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Kirk,
Ha! I knew you could not hold out! Did my PM or e-mail help a bit in the "encouragement" department? :D

Man, she looks nice--nice metal & wood with a super wood to metal fit, and all with a great bore. :D

I know you don't care for 5744 but I have 4,000 plus out of an 1886 45-70 made in 1889, about 95% of it being 28 grains of 5744 and a 375 NEI GC sized .460. Chronos 1275 in 30 degree weather and 1340 in 80 degree weather. She's still as tight as when I got it.-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sixgun wrote:Kirk,
Ha! I knew you could not hold out! Did my PM or e-mail help a bit in the "encouragement" department? :D
This is a different one from the one I told you about. I got this one for a lot less than that other one, but your 'encouragement' did play a factor in getting off my duff and laying down the cash (even if I did have to sell a couple other rifles to afford it).

I did try 5744 last week, 30 grains for 1,430 fps. The groups were quite a bit looser (about 3 & 1/2" five shot groups at 100 yards), although my bullets are a bit undersize, which is why I need the faster 2400 to bump them up a bit. Just for curiosity, I should really reduce the charge of 5744 to see what kind of accuracy I get at BP ballistics.

Rimfire, I didn't use any filler. For me, if I can get decent E.S. and good accuracy, I don't use them. The downside is that a double charge becomes very possible, so I'm using a lot more care in the charging step.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Awesome 1886. Gorgeous photo. Looks like a mighty purty place!
T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Topside wrote:Awesome 1886. Gorgeous photo. Looks like a mighty purty place!
T.
Topside, that is out my backyard overlooking the cornfields down in the river bottom. I am very grateful to live here and thank God just about every day for letting me live here.
Last edited by KirkD on Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

as alway great post...and pic...and shooter
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Fine looking old rifle Kirk, that wood is really nice.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Beaker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Beaker »

Wow, your already seeing fall colors in trees?
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Beaker wrote:Wow, your already seeing fall colors in trees?
Yep! The days are not so hot anymore and the nights are real cool up here in central Ontario, Canada.
Olevern
Levergunner

Post by Olevern »

Absolutely beautiful! Maybe someday....
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Great range report and beautiful pictures Kirk!
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

Ohh...you've just started your load development :D I see that fine rifle doing much better once you find the sweet spot. Not that the current load is lacking...just that you can't keep from tinkering until its much better. :) . You've got me hankering for another '86...maybe a 45 cal this time. Keep us posted on the 38-40 hunt too....that is one that I'm really dying to find out about.

Ed
the telegraphist
Levergunner 2.0

Post by the telegraphist »

Kirk your a legend sir, beautiful rifle and a top shooter too. Slightly off topic, how did your Colt in 45 S&W go after the front sight work you were having done a couple of months ago?
GUN CONTROL IS HITTING YOUR TARGET
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mutt »

Dang ! that's pretty ..................... :mrgreen: ,,,,,,,,,,Mutt
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester 1886 range results (photos) P.S.

Post by Mutt »

Adding a post script.... I would really to have one like this in a bit more modern year in .30.30 . Same length and all to fit and match my other .30.30's .

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mutt again ,,,,,, :D
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Nice shootin' with a fine '86, Kirk. You know those old clunkers can shoot. Like you, a sharp bore is important to me and weighs heavily on the decision to purchase a gun or not. You did well on all counts with that one. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good work, which one was first - the lateral dispersion is likely you???? Looks like a keeper - unless,,,,, you find a new love. Does your wife know how you are??? :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

How can you ask for anything more than that?
I love that guns looks!
The dark wood contrasting with that color of the steel :mrgreen:
And those groups you shot-----What a gun!