Here's the beater 94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Here's the beater 94

Post by TedH »

Here's what I got for my $150. She's pretty rough on the outside, but the bore looks great. Should be a decent shooter. I think the wood will be presentable after stripping and steaming out some dings. Serial number puts it as a 1972 model.

Now the question is what to do with it. I kind of like Old Savage's idea of hard chrome but that may be too much money to spend on it. Whatcha think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Re: Here's the beater 94

Post by Dave »

It looks good. I would just leave it like it is and shoot the stew out of it. I love a beater gun.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

That's not a beater.....it's a good deal. Lube it up and throw it in the back of the rig.... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good Deal! :mrgreen:
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

$150.00 Cool 8)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Nothing wrong with that rifle. Just a few character marks. Nothing a good cleaning and oiling up can't fix. If it gets a little shiny around the barrel, just some cold blue and away you go. What ever you shoot at can't tell if it is gold plated or rust red as long as it shoots well. Have fun. I gotta find a deal like that sometime.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I had my 1970's Marlin 1894 Parkerized after it got quite a bit of surface rust, and the 'smith slimmed the forend and refinished the stock - Now it is a real beautiful gun. I don't have any decent pics of it, but it looks just like the ones I saw in a recent gun magazine article on 'miliatry leverguns'.

That's what I'd do.

If you are interested and want a pic, PM me, and I'll try and take one this weekend.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

You can't judge a Win 94 by it's outsides any more than you can judge a book by it's cover. Ditch that carrying handle, clean it really good and proper, lube it right, put a receiver sight on it and you've got a work gun that can't be hurt by anything a normal man would do with it.

If you just gotta have it hard chromed, which ain't a bad idea, I'd have it bead blasted to a satin finish first.

Oh, and if you do ditch the carrying handle and need the finger liver pin stop screw and those two little plug screws Browning has them.

PS: I wish I could find a deal like that.

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

The great thing about a rifle like that is all the options it offers. Me? I'd leave it alone. But if you've a hankerin' to pretty it up, have at it! Just be sure to treat us to pics of the results.
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Every time I see a "Project" gun at a shop someone scoops it up as I am at home thinking about it. In your case I agree with everyone else! It is good to go, see how it shoots before you do any work to it. If it shoots good, oil it and use it as is. You did very well!
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Wow! indeed! That did prove to be a good buy. Hope you have MANY years of great fun with that one.
BTW, are those style scope mounts still available? Anyone know who might still carry them?

Walt
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Newtmaker wrote: BTW, are those style scope mounts still available? Anyone know who might still carry them?

Walt

I will be deleting the scope from this one as soon as I see how it shoots and settle on a handload. I'd trade ya for an original finger lever stop screw. But if you don't want to wait on me, Weaver still makes them, and Midway has them in stock.
Last edited by TedH on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member
Newtmaker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Newtmaker »

Finger Lever Stop Screw?? Obviously I do not know what it is :oops:

Walt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I like it. :mrgreen:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Newtmaker wrote:Finger Lever Stop Screw?? Obviously I do not know what it is :oops:

Walt
It's the screw that goes in place of the screw that is holding the front of this mount to the receiver. You remove the original when installing a mount such as this. When I remove this mount the screws will go with it, and I'll be needing an original for the front hole. The two smaller holes in the rear is where a receiver sight will get mounted.
NRA Life Member
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

You could use one of the bake on finishes, this is my B92 in desert tan.
Harry

Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

TedH wrote:
Newtmaker wrote: BTW, are those style scope mounts still available? Anyone know who might still carry them?

Walt

I will be deleting the scope from this one as soon as I see how it shoots and settle on a handload. I'd trade ya for an original finger lever stop screw.
Ted,
If Walt doesn't pony up the screws, I got you covered and will gladly make that trade.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Great deal, just clean it up and use it. It's alreay broke in.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

As they have already pointed out it has the best mount you could ever have to take off that gun. Put a Williams FP or Lyman 66 on it and smile. I don't know that you could parkerize it but that would work. It is nowhere near as bad as you described (or I pictured from your description).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

It's pretty just the way it is. Keep the mount on it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 Other than oiling it up and losing the mount, I'd otherwise leave it alone and use it.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks like a shooter! Congrats Ted!!! 8)
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Just saw worse for 5x the price at cabelas,you did fine.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

BlaineG wrote:That's not a beater.....it's a good deal. Lube it up and throw it in the back of the rig.... :wink:
TedH wrote: The two smaller holes in the rear is where a receiver sight will get mounted.
Hobie wrote:As they have already pointed out it has the best mount you could ever have to take off that gun. Put a Williams FP or Lyman 66 on it and smile.
Heck of a buy. A good receiver sight and that puppy's good to go.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.
two bit okie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by two bit okie »

From a old, fat dinosaur, there are some rifles that just dont look right with a scope. M-1 carbine, Sharps, and at the top of that list is a mod 94. Marlins are ok with glass. but not a 94.

JMHO, which with a doller will get you a cup of joe at burger king.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

two bit okie wrote:From a old, fat dinosaur, there are some rifles that just dont look right with a scope. M-1 carbine, Sharps, and at the top of that list is a mod 94. Marlins are ok with glass. but not a 94.

JMHO, which with a doller will get you a cup of joe at burger king.
Two bit okie, we are in total agreement about this. Unfortunately us fat old dinosaurs are about extinct.

Coffee costs that much? Glad I don't drink it.

Joe
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I may be a few years and a few pounds behind some of you other levergun dinosaurs, but I agree Joe. The scope's coming off after I take advantage of its benefits for finding a good handload. Already got a Williams receiver sight for it. The front sight insert is broke, so I still need to order a replacement for that.

Spent a couple hours on the rifle last night with some fine steel wool and oil. I think it's going to clean up a lot better than I thought it would.
NRA Life Member
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

TedH wrote:I may be a few years and a few pounds behind some of you other levergun dinosaurs, but I agree Joe. The scope's coming off after I take advantage of its benefits for finding a good handload. Already got a Williams receiver sight for it. The front sight insert is broke, so I still need to order a replacement for that.

Spent a couple hours on the rifle last night with some fine steel wool and oil. I think it's going to clean up a lot better than I thought it would.
Ted, I just could not live with myself letting you suffer with that dog......I will give you what you payed for it, plus shipping and any costs at your end. Just PM me with where to send my FFL's paperwork. 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TedH wrote:I may be a few years and a few pounds behind some of you other levergun dinosaurs, but I agree Joe. The scope's coming off after I take advantage of its benefits for finding a good handload. Already got a Williams receiver sight for it. The front sight insert is broke, so I still need to order a replacement for that
For target work, I'd suggest a Lyman 17A.
They almost always do.

One of my projects started out thus:

Progressed after cleaning to:

and finally, ended up:

That's not the final configuration, but close. Waiting on wood. Used that wood on my Trapper.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

BlaineG wrote:
Ted, I just could not live with myself letting you suffer with that dog......I will give you what you payed for it, plus shipping and any costs at your end. Just PM me with where to send my FFL's paperwork. 8)

That's what I love about this forum. Such genuine concern and generosity towards fellow levergunners. :D
NRA Life Member
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

TedH wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

That's what I love about this forum. Such genuine concern and generosity towards fellow levergunners. :D
We LOVE you man!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Blackjack
Levergunner

Post by Blackjack »

If your thinkin plating, Instead of chrome what about nickel? That wouls turn that into a real looker :wink: Our the obvious a nice hot blue job. Phil
Free Men Don't Need Permission To Bear Arms ---- Thomas Jefferson ----