OT: Need info from Texas members

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT: Need info from Texas members

Post by J Miller »

We're looking for information on the area of Texas between Palestine and Fairfield, off US84.

Whats the area like?
Level, hilly, wooded, open, that kind of stuff.
Also what's the jobs like in those two cities?

Joe (who was instructed by SWMBO to ask these questions)

PS: What's the weather like in that area, we're sick and tired of IL winters.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
piller
Posting leader...

Re: OT: Need info from Texas members

Post by piller »

Joe, the area around Palestine is pretty well wooded. It is hot and humid in the Summer, but in the Winter you will only have to shovel snow about once every 10 years. Lake Palestine is good fishing, and both of my kids have pulled out 65 pound blue catfish from it. They were on jug lines and used shad for bait. Did it on January 1st. I like the area, but do not ever pronounce it Pal-uh-stIne, in Texas it is Pahl-uh-STEEN. We do tawk diffrent hyar than in some other places, but that is Texas. The actor Barry Corbin is from Texas and in most places doesn't really stand out for his accent. Not having been born here, it took me a few years to figure out the difference between Y'ALL and ALL Y'ALL. Singular and plural.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ain't nuttin' over to that country that could be called hilly... more like rollin' flat land, treed up well. I don't know the job situation.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Move there Joe. It is Texas and that has to be better than Illinois! :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

gotta go a little farther south and west to get this

RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Piller gave you good information. There is also some pretty good deer and hog hunting in that area, about the only big pubic hunting lands in Texas are pretty near there. I usually make it out to one or the other at least once a year. For the last couple of years we have had a small levergun hunt at one of them. Also, I believe, there is some paper mill land around down in that area that may allow public hunting. As for work I have no idea but, people live there so it must be some work.
Ricky

DWWC
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

To Zack Coyote,
Tried to answer your email, but our server bounced it back as undeliverable. Sent you a PM.

Thanks for the information. My wife found the information to a 30 acre "farm" with a house on it in a non shooting forum she belongs too. We've got very little information on it, other than the general location and description. The lease payment is actually $200.00 a month less than what we are paying for this tiny little house we live in now.

So we're checking on it. We don't appear to be the only ones either. The owners PM box is full and he's not replied to any posts in a while.
Hopefully he didn't lease it out and leave every one hanging.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Joe,

It looks like Palestine isn't too far from Avery, TX where 86er has some of his hog hunts. I really liked that territory. I'd head South in a minute if I could get away with it.

If the place you're looking at has been taken there has to be others in the area. google the surrounding towns and look up the local news paper site for the classifieds. I'll bet you'll find something good. Maybe even a land contract deal where you would end up owning the place someday. Find one that's a little on the ugly side, get it cheap and fix it up as you go. There's some real deals out there right now. My cousin just bought a house in Fl that had previously sold for three times what he paid for it.

jasonb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

Nice area and as described it is pretty wooded.

I go camping up in Palestine and Rusk down to Weches. Great parks in there for us mini-rv'ers in the pop-up.

I have been looking for land up there myself, but as pointed out it can be pretty hot in the summer so I am starting to look further west. I have always been impressed at how friendly everyone is up there.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OK Guys,

Some of you have posted that it is "hot and humid" during the summer.
Please define "hot and humid". Just what kind of temps and percentage of humidity does it get to?

Mrs J
Nate C.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Nate C. »

It is God's country, friend.

Depending on where on 84 you are talking about, the terrain may vary dramatically. The further east on 84 and closer to Palestine you get, the more "Piney Woods" it is, more akin to Mississippi than parts of western Texas that many people erroneously assume are representative of the entire state. In fact, there are several National Forest units in that general vicinity, and they are primarily pine trees. There is some variety to the topography, but it isn't mountainous by any means. The closest big city to Palestine is Tyler. The further west on 84 and closer to Fairfield you get, the more the terrain open up into rolling prairies. There are still trees to be seen and it is not abjectly flat (it ain't Kansas!), but the land is much more open and the pine trees begin to be replaced by post oaks. The closest big city to Fairfield is Waco.

It can get hot in the summer, with temperatures regularly getting into the 90s. It can get cold in the winter, but you very rarely see snow, and might only see icy rain/sleet a handful of times in the winter. It might get down below freezing at night in winter, but will get back above freezing during the day.

I can't speak to the economy or job opportunities there. Do you know anything about raising cattle?

Remember, no state income tax, and no misery at all pertaining to 2d Amendment issues like what you might experience in Illinois.
Texas State Rifle Association http://www.tsra.com

Freemason. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freemasonry
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

I don't think the weather in that part of Texas is much different than here in OK, although I'm a few 100 miles North. Hot here in OK means on average 10-15 days per summer of 100 degrees or hotter. The rest of the time it's mid to high 90's. 90's usually run from the end of May till mid September. Lows in the summertime rarely get below 75 degrees. Humidity will vary each day from probably 60 to 75 depending on the conditions.

No bones about it,...it's dang hot and sticky during the summer. I HATE the summers and don't do well in hot weather. So, for that part of the year, I don't venture out much. I know most folk get out in the summer, but I could stay indoors from May till September and not miss a thing. You just have to find a nice air conditioner or swamp cooler and tough it out. If you can't pay the large electric bill in the summer you can put yourself on average billing which helps tame the summer and winter electric bills.

What you get in return is a great spring and fall and a winter that isn't too cold. Meaning,..it's probably good shooting weather 75% of the year.

As much as I hate Texas (being an Okie),...just about anywhere in Texas is going to be better than where you're at currently. Stay away from the big cities,...regular folk live in the smaller communities.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

J Miller wrote:To Zack Coyote,
Tried to answer your email, but our server bounced it back as undeliverable. Sent you a PM.

Thanks for the information. My wife found the information to a 30 acre "farm" with a house on it in a non shooting forum she belongs too. We've got very little information on it, other than the general location and description. The lease payment is actually $200.00 a month less than what we are paying for this tiny little house we live in now.

So we're checking on it. We don't appear to be the only ones either. The owners PM box is full and he's not replied to any posts in a while.
Hopefully he didn't lease it out and leave every one hanging.

Joe
Grab the guns/wife/few cats and run and GET IT! Got to be better than the present!
Its Texas--------------------------God/Guns/Girls (third one dont count cause you already got your girl Joe! :wink:)
I pray you grab it!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Nate C.
I can't speak to the economy or job opportunities there. Do you know anything about raising cattle?

Remember, no state income tax, and no misery at all pertaining to 2d Amendment issues like what you might experience in Illinois.
Nate,
Do I know anything about raising cattle ...... ummm, they go mooooo.
:roll: :lol:

I like the no state income tax and the 2d Amendment part.

deerwhacker444,
I haven't done well the last several IL summers either. I seem to be loosing the ability to function in the humidity. The heat doesn't bother me until the humidity goes up. After that I just hide in the A/C.

madman4570,
We haven't been able to contact the owner. And we don't have enough $$$.¢¢ to just grab everything and run. Wish we did.

Joe
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

hilly and wooded but not far from open country 30 minuts west and you want see a pine tree just mesquite and ceder and scrub oak its a pretty part of east texas i live about and hour and 20 minuts east of there come on and welcome.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I agree with the person that said "It's God's country". Although I'll be the first to admit that God has a lot of good country, this is definitely a part of it. Hunting is good throughout most of that part of the state, if you don't mind not being able to see more than 10 ft. There are a lot of deer and hogs, but unless you clear shooting lanes, it's been my experience that it's dang near too thick to see.

It's hot and humid, for sure. I can't differentiate much between 100 and 110 in the middle of summer, they're both hot. Just about the coolest it gets during the summer is 95, and that's usually at the very beginning or the tail end. That part of the state is quite a bit greener than a lot of other places. Texas is a neat state in general, and that area will give you plenty of pretty country to see, and plenty of places to go. Just make sure your house has a good a/c unit, and you're good to go.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

deerwhacker444 wrote:I don't think the weather in that part of Texas is much different than here in OK, although I'm a few 100 miles North.
You'd be surprised at the difference. I live about midway between you and Palestine. When traveling south in the summer, you hit a "wall" of humidity somewhere around Palestine/Buffalo area. If you're used to the lesser humidity, it's palpable. If you lived in that area all the time you'd never know it. Most people don't notice where the change is because we all drive around in air conditioned cars now. You notice it when you get out, though.

Other than the slightly higher humidity, Anderson County is not much different than where I live. Some summers you get three weeks of 110+ degree weather. Some summers (rarely) you get zero 100 degree days. You may go 10 winters with no measurable snow, then have 3 or 4 in a row where the ground gets covered 2 or 3 times that winter. Longest frozen precipitation I've seen on the ground was 3 weeks back in 1983-84 winter. Usually 3 or 4 days is a very cold snap. Palestine does not get as much snow/sleet/ice as we do.
Only problem with the cold weather is pipes freeze because people don't prepare for it and Texans can't drive on ice (but they don't know they can't).
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Joe,

If my info is right... there's a WalMart Distr Cntr near Palestine. I was just seaching for some loads and one came up there. Don't know what all they might have... but... if ya don't ask they can't say yes. WalMart Careers
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

J Miller wrote:Nate C.

Nate,
Do I know anything about raising cattle ...... ummm, they go mooooo.
:roll: :lol:

I like the no state income tax and the 2d Amendment part.

deerwhacker444,
I haven't done well the last several IL summers either. I seem to be loosing the ability to function in the humidity. The heat doesn't bother me until the humidity goes up. After that I just hide in the A/C.

madman4570,
We haven't been able to contact the owner. And we don't have enough $$$.¢¢ to just grab everything and run. Wish we did.

Joe
Joe,
I would be willing to chip in to get you guys the heck out of there.
we all know your dreams have been to get out of where you are maybe something will come right for you this year. keep checking and let us know what is with it and what it takes to get you out of there.
I will gladly put in for my part!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

madman4570,

Preciate the offer but right now we are simply doing research. And the owner of this specific place has not responded to any attempts to contact him. So .... hold the thought and when the time comes we just might take you up on the offer if you are still so inclined and able.

Wife and I are also thinking that 90+º temps with high humidity is not what we want. We are fed up with the heat and humidity in IL, so we really don't want to move into the same type of weather somewhere else. We really would like some drier weather. Don't mind the heat, just don't want the humidity anymore.

Joe
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

remember the movie title, "Some Like it Hot"
well, those people live in Texas.
The best thing about it, though, we get a weekend of 70 degrees every month of winter.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Joe,

I've been all over the country (except for Idaho and North Dakota) and in different times of the year. It seems to me that your limits on climate put you in California or northern Arizona or possibly New Mexico. In my experience, where you don't have the heat you have the snow and where you don't have the snow and cold you have heat and humidity. E.g. it is pretty sticky out right now (and we DON'T have central air) but we don't get a lot of killer snows either. We are fairly isolated from hurricanes, not in an earthquake belt, don't see many tornados, etc... If you had a job waiting, money for the taxes, and didn't like guns I'd say go to Jolon, California as that is closest to what you're looking for climate wise.

BTW, I try to keep my eyes open for a situation for you...

PS - 10 WORST places to live... http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/08/0 ... s-to-live/
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie,

I lived in Phx, AZ for almost 40 years. I was there the year we had 122º temps and the asphalt at Sky Harbor Airport got so soft they had to shut the runways down.
I didn't mind the heat then or there until the rainy seasons came and the humidity went nuts.
Even then the heat/humidity wasn't like what's here in IL.

The most comfortable places I've lived were Farmington, NM and Casper, WY. If things could be arranged I'd move back to Phoenix, NM or WY in a heartbeat.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've only been to Casper in June. It was nice then but, I've heard that winters can be pretty cold, etc. I don't think I've even passed through Farmington. :?: I think somebody on the forum is living there. Maybe they will pipe up (or you might already have been in contact).
Sincerely,

Hobie

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie wrote:I've only been to Casper in June. It was nice then but, I've heard that winters can be pretty cold, etc. I don't think I've even passed through Farmington. :?: I think somebody on the forum is living there. Maybe they will pipe up (or you might already have been in contact).
I spent a summer in Casper back in 64. It was really nice. Breezy but nothing I remember as being a problem. Explored the town, played in the hills to the south of Casper a bit. Almost killed myself riding my step sisters bike up and down the hills. Lots of fun that summer, but not a really super great visit. Too much mother / father divorce politics.
I guess WY can be a bit white in the winter, after all our own JDad flees to southern AZ during that time.

I lived in Farmington for quite a few years. Lots of snow in the winter. Me and my friends, I actually had some there, made snow forts and tunnels and had a blast. The summers were nice as well. There was a big hill to the east of our house. It was flat on top and we'd go fly kites there. That was a lotta fun.
Of course that's a child's memory and children don't really care much about things like weather.

So anyway, for all those who gave me info on that area of Texas, thanks a bunch. The owner of the property hasn't answered his PMs or made any other posts so until he does we keep looking and learning.

Joe