Range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Range report

Post by engravertom »

I had a chance to get to the range on Saturday, which is about 20 minutes away.

There are two target boards at 50 yards, then one each at 75, 100, and 150.

There is also a five stand course, sporting clays, and a 25 yard rimfire / pistol range as well.

I brought 3 guns, my Model 94 in 30-30, Ruger #1 in 45-70, and my Old Model Blackhawk in 357.

First, I wanted to check the zeros of the two rifles, which I did at 50 yards, resting the rifles on sandbags.

The 30-30 required a rear sight adjustment. The first group is the lower one, the second group had a flyer.

The 45-70 looked good, even if a little to the left. Point of aim on both targets was 6 O'Clock on the black bull.

The other holes on the 45-70 target were from the Blackhawk, 38 +p shot over the sand bags at 50 yards also. There are 4 holes, the 5th shot went I don't know where. The other two lower holes were from a different trip.

I had the elevator on the 30-30 maxed out, so I decided to get to my planned exercise.

My plan was to fire one shot at an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper, with no aiming point, at 50,75,100, and 150 yards. I would start off hand at 50, go to a kneeling position for the 75 yard shot, sitting for 100, and prone for 150.

I would try and take as little time as possible for each shot, without just throwing lead down range.

I ended up taking two shots from each rifle at each target, then my time ran out.

here are the targets-

50 yards

75 yards

100 yards

150 yards

45-70

I was holding at the bottom of the paper on the first 3 targets. The one miss at 100 was slightly below the target, and about 1 inch off to the right.

I never got a hit at 150. They were both misses below the paper, one about 6 inches, one about 10. You may be able to see the arrows pointing down on the bottom edge of the target, showing the location of the strikes, from a windage standpoint. With the right hold over, they would have been on paper.

30-30

I was holding more towards the center of the targets, since there wasn't much height above my point of aim.

The miss at 75 was to the right. I need to work on my natural point of aim, in these positions, with these rifles. I did get one hit, on the edge, at 150. Could not tell where the miss was. maybe next time I should put up some larger sheets of paper behind the targets.

I learned a lot, and plan to continue practicing this way for a while. Prone was difficult, as I ended up facing downhill a bit. I had to put my left hand right under the actions of both rifles to get on the target. I found out the week before that the sling on the #1 was no use. I could not put my arm through it, and get into a correct shooting position. I suppose that the swivel positions are too close together. I never had a problem using a sling on the milsurps I used to own.

Also, the white bead on the Ruger pretty much disappeared at the longer ranges, against the target. I need a more visible front sight on that. I need a lower front sight on the 30-30, as the rear sight is maxed out for elevation. Several weeks ago, I couldn't even get close to a zero with some Cowboy loads in that rifle. Not enough elevation on the rear sight.

I think I prefer a good open sight over a peep at this point, which is much different than my earlier preferences. A better front sight on the Ruger will give me a better comparison though.

I feel it was a productive trip, and hope to keep it up.

take care,

Tom
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Looks a bit cold for me. But looks like it was a fun day shooting none the less. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

I love range reports!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks for the report. The photos really add to the report. Beautiful '94!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Did Turnbull do your 94? It IS pretty! :mrgreen:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good opportunityto shoot at all those ranges. Let's you know what you can expect.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Thanks guys,

It was almost 30, no wind! pretty balmy for around here.

yes, the rifle was done at Turnbull's.

As an employee, we can get personal stuff done after hours. I did engraving work for several of the other guys, so they hooked me up on this rifle. The forend is factory, and the butt stock is a factory second from numrich.

No time to engrave it, other than the gold wire inlay. You know, the shoemakers kids...

take care,

Tom
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

A good honest report and good pics too. Say, could you not file the front sight down a small amount?
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

The front sight it sort of a bead on a post. But, now that you mention it, I would rather have a post anyway, so it won't hurt to try. If I don't like it, I was going to replace it anyway!

Great idea, thanks,

Tom
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Beautiful 94 and a great post!
After I butchered my last deer I took a tape measure to the ribcage. I found that the kill zone was pretty close to 8.5" x 11", but the 11" measurement was horizontal. You might want to try pasting your targets that way. Also, try a brown piece of paper as well. Your sights will look much different when you shoot against a deer-colored target.
Let us know how it turns out.

Quinn
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'd rather be cold than sweating when I shoot - looks good to me! 8)
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Thanks for the additional comments. I will try brown paper on the horizontal next time.

take care,

Tom
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I grew up in western NY, and used to visit the Creekside Gun Shop in Holcomb (I think) up near Canandaigua quite often. This would be in the late 1960s to early 1970s. My dad did a lot of business there, usually with a guy named Paul Martin as I remember. Is the gun shop still there?
Last edited by WinM71 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

Creekside closed down 3 or 4 years ago, maybe a bit more.

Doug Turnbull's dad owned it, and Doug started his own business there. Doug has his own facility now, and that is where i work. I moved up here with my family in Jan. 05, after living in NC for 11 years. Started out in NJ. Good place to be from!

We love Western NY, would love it much more if it could cut the ties to Albany and NYC!!

take care,

Tom
WinM71
Levergunner 2.0

Post by WinM71 »

I grew up out west of you, in Wyoming County.

That's the big problem for rural NY, the tail (NYC) wags the dog in that state. Nasty income tax, nasty sales tax, and a pretty anti-gun political climate. I always loved the land, there's a lot of terrific woodchuck hunting out there.
My mind reader refuses to charge me..........

Now listen boy, I'm tryin' to teach you somethin'. That ain't an optical illusion, it only LOOKS LIKE an optical illusion.
engravertom
Levergunner 2.0

Post by engravertom »

If I ever get to be head engraver for Ruger, we will come over and join you in the Live Free or Die State!

:)

Tom
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

GREAT looking 94. Thanks for sharing the range report. Yes, looks, cold, but probably no colder than here in WY while I await the wind and storm to blow itself out.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Love them Range Reports! I am getting the itch to get out there. Beautiful 94!
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Marlin .35 »

That is a very nice 94!!! LOve range reports such as this, very complete with excellent pics. That talk of woodchuck hunting brings many, many fond memories to me. Thanks!!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!