800 yards?!! 38-55?!! (UPDATED w/video)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

800 yards?!! 38-55?!! (UPDATED w/video)

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Just back from another shooting fiesta over at Wind's. Wind is incrementally ratcheting up my reality with every visit. Earlier today it was out to 800 yards. I'm still wrapping my mind around 600... :o Anyway, 800 yards involves some hiking, Wind had everything prepared upon my arrival and we marched out to the 800 yard line.

Being ace camera guys we really upped our game and took a tripod with us to film the action. That way the guys that were mistaking us for twins ;) could see us side by side shot and maybe get it straight in their minds which is which. I'm the fat one, Wind is the dude that looks a lot like Wild Bill Hickok and can grow a way better mustache. I'll post a link to the video of us later once I get a chance to upload it. For now here's our state of the art filming set up. Just out of the frame are Wind's "friends" Barbie and Bubbles - who actually are twins - directing, doing our make-up and taking care of all the technical stuff ;).

Here is a Wind getting ready to take on the 800 yard Dinger, which is really the 400 yard dinger with another 400 yards tacked onto where you plant your butt. The dinger is near the small tree just to the left of and out beyond the row of bigger trees in the upper right hand corner. WAY out there. :o It was a mere spec on the front sight post.

We walked the shots in. Wind had the elevation by the third shot, now it was a matter of guessing the wind which varied in intensity and direction. Had I finished my chores earlier we might of had some still air to shoot through but I underestimated the time and got there late but just in time for the wind to start blowing up the valley.

Once we had the sight setting dialed in on the 800 yard dinger Wind, the inventor and maker of the Okanogan Shooting Sticks, decides he needs to ring it OFFHAND too!

This photo was taken seconds after an 800 yard offhand hit on the dinger. Notice the suppressed smile. I'm not sure if it was disbelief or what but we both laughed out loud once it sunk in that he rung that dinger (LOUD) OFFHAND!

Not one to rest on his laurels, he loaded another five and sure enough, he hit it again... :D

We burned through 120 rounds of 38-55 on the 800 yard dinger and we learned a lot.
-800 yards is a LONG ways!
-The 400 yard dinger looks small at 400 yards. It looks tiny at 800. It's about the size of a chair... maybe a little shorter.
-The Ding takes even longer to get back to us but you CAN hear it.
-It is difficult to shoot AND it is difficult to spot at that range.
-Even with good feedback - dirt splash, visual of impact, positive ring - the wind might push the next shot 3 feet off with the same hold.
-I sent at least ten Offhand at it and at best could only come close. Wind at worst only came close and hit it twice!
-Good glass is a must! A good spotting scope would have helped. The bino's were good but a hit could only be confirmed by sound from that distance. We had a number of probables but until we walked up to the dinger didn't know for sure.
-The Ranch Dog TLC379-235RF over 16.5gr of SR 4759 (3.5 grains UNDER the starting load in my RCBS Cast bullet Manual) gets almost 1700 fps in my CB. I'm not sure what it get's in Wind's Cowboy but it took several minutes out of the sight setting vs. the Lee 250gr and Missouri Bullet Works 240gr over 10gr of Unique loads (~1300 fps). The RD load is the load I shot best. I think Wind's best success was with the MBW bullet.

Once all the 38-55 ammo was sent down range and about a half mile of walking each way was done, we realized there were some more primers left undented on our belts :D ;) Since the correct answer to the most asked question - "You got anymore?" - is yes! We shot what we had in our side arms at the 400 yard ding from the 400 yard line.... ;D ;D

This required some (Kentucky) elevation hold over. Wind's 44 special Bisley Blackhawk rung it on the first shot and again on the next cylinder. My 45 Colt New Vaquero had it surrounded but failed to make it clang... :-[ but man was it fun trying ;D ;D

We resisted getting the Marlin 39's out which was about the only thing we had ammo left for and figured we already had more fun than is legal in most states and we better save it for later. One never knows when the urge to ring a dinger might overwhelm a fella and it would be a shame to not have anything to do it with. :P ;) ;D :D
Last edited by Whit Spurzon on Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Re: 800 yards?!! 38-55?!!

Post by claybob86 »

Great post! Sounds like y'all had a really good time and some excellent shooting. :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
jchiggins
Levergunner

Post by jchiggins »

Nice work. I have a the same gun with a Parts unknown vernier and a Baldwin front. Extremely accurate. With 250 grain I could easily hit a 400 yard gong but at 1500 fps it ran out of steam around 500 for me.
I did some calculation based on the twist in the rifle and figured it could handle up to a 300 grain bullet. I used a Saeco 1501 mold which comes as a two holler.
It has a crimp groove and I figured was heavy enough to add a couple hundred yards to the reliable performance.
The bullet is long and tapered with lots of little grease grooves. It's a little difficult to seat but once crimped proved accurate as heck at 200 yards.
Unfortunately before I got to test it at range, I got a detached retina in my shooting eye which rules out precise long range shooting and then there is the arthritis kicking up. I never got the chance to actually road test it and will eventually sell the rifle.
You might give that 300 grain bullet a try. Nothing like adding weight to increase ballistic coefficient.
I shot my 38-55 single shot at a long range CAS match and won the 400 yard gong off hand. I then asked to try this lever gun for fun.
I backed up the single shot rifles performance with an identical score. I was really pleased with it.
When I first got it the bore was .378 and the throat was so tight that I could not load the proper size .379 bullets for it. Lee Shaver throated the chamber and now the proper bullets seat perfectly.
Great guns. Congratulations on your efforts.
Last edited by jchiggins on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
jchiggins
Levergunner

Post by jchiggins »

Here is a pic of my 38-55

The second bullet from the left is a 255 grain moly coated bullet by Bear Creek Supply that you can drive to amazing velocities with no leading. Good to almost 500 yards for me. I weighed all bullets to eliminate those with internal bubbles.
The fourth from the left is that Saeco bullet I mentioned.
The first and third are commercially cast bullets I found and the last one in line is a 330 grain Hoch mold .3765 just fits the .376 bore. It works in the Browning Single shot Traditional Hunter in the picture. Again the wheels fell off the 255 at some point and the 330 grainer was the most bullet the 1/15 twist would support.
I believe the Marlin is a 1/18 twist. I used XMP 5744 in the Marlin and Blue Dot in the Browning. Blue dot is a good cast bullet powder. In the 38-55 case, I got about one hundred FPS per grain with the 255 grain bullet. It burns cleaner than XMP which leaves a lot of powder scree behind.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

claybob86 wrote:Great post! Sounds like y'all had a really good time and some excellent shooting. :mrgreen:
+ 1 fantastic! :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That sounds like a really great day was had :D :mrgreen:
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

What a great looking place to shoot. 800 yards is a loooong way off. I think I would have trouble seeing something the size of a chair that far away. Thanks for sharing your pictures and day with us.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Well done! That looks like a great way to spend the day. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

:mrgreen:
Green with envy. :wink:
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

:mrgreen: Me, too!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Well, With posts like this I see no need for gun magazines! Excellent post dude! Thanks for taking the time and energy. :D

And yes, it is amazing how accurately "old cartridges" do at extended ranges. Pictured below are two bullets I cast for the 38-55. The one on the left is the standard Lyman which I no longer use. The one on the right is an NEI. 275 grains semi spitzer. It has just enough of a flat point to keep your magazine from exploding. The mould is a four cavity and despite what the experts say on multiple cavity moulds, the bullets from this mould will stay on a beer can or very slightly larger at 500 meters. (yea, I know...as long as the wind ain't blowin' :D )

Sized to .379, I shoot this bullet at 1450 fps and use the same load in a half dozen old 38-55 leverguns and a .375.----------Sixgun

Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sixgun, well said. What a great write up. thanks for posting this. Wonderful time.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

jchiggins - my heart be still. BEAUTIFUL rifles. Great insights on the loadings too! Thanks!

It really was a fun day.

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very good! Impressive! Excellent report. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Very interesting! Now .... pics of Bubbles and Barbie?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Great post and a fantastic looking range.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
jchiggins
Levergunner

Post by jchiggins »

Hi Ranger. I envied your report. I am approaching the time when shooting these rifles will be past. I worked long and hard to figure this stuff all out. I used to shoot CAS and while not much at stage shooting, my experience shooting black powder silhouettes helped me bag some long range side matches.
I had a detached retina in my left eye which was saved by a great doc. It is excellent for most things but not long range shooting. Just not capable of the fine critical judgements that need to be made. As you know, you really need to have your grits together to hit a long range target with open sights. The breathing, trigger and sight position must be perfect or the shot goes astray. Silhouettes are fun to shoot but at 500 meters, a challenge.
My first silhouette gun was a Remington 45-70 shooting a 530 grain bullet about 900fps. I tried long range gong shots out to 1000 yards and the 45-70 just didn't have it at that bullet speed. That's why most long range guys shoot 45-100 or bigger just to get the additional speed for the thousand yard long range paper matches. My 45-70 tanked at 800 yards just like everyone elses.
Luckily if you add weight and speed to the 38-55 you might get real consistent at long range. You will know when it starts to just go weird on you. I shot some of those 255 grain bullets at some high FPS and the rifle kicked like a 45-70. Can't beat the physics of it.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

What Old Savage said +1
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Excellent, great post :D

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

very nice - and great photos.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Here is the raw video of me taking my first run at the 800 yard dinger.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxhbI4gfa9E

For reference, this shows where we're shooting
Marc
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 800 yards?!! 38-55?!! (UPDATED w/video)

Post by Marc »

Enjoyed the report! That is certainly a fine way to spend the day.
My "HB" (Hunting Buddy) She's a good cook too!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AYE GAWD, Whit!!! What was ya usin’ fer a propellant MAN? Compressed AIR? :o :o :lol: :lol: :P :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
jchiggins
Levergunner

Post by jchiggins »

Just for the heck of it, I loaded the 3855 cases with black power over a Winchester Large rifle primer, I used that 300 grain Saeco cast black powder style at 1/20 tin/lead, I used SPG bullet BP lube and used a poly wad. I shot these in the Marlin one at a time and used a blow tube in the chamber between shots with a scope for sights.
I was amazed that at 200 yards it would group eight of ten in side of three inches. Closer to two and a half inches.
I remember one big weatherby shooter at the range standing behind me with binoculars, shaking his head telling me I was really tearing up the target.
I chuckled. I don't think he exactly had a full nelson on that Weatherby and was shooting about improved cylinder.
These guns are amazing. I think 38-55 is one of the great inherently accurate cartridges of all time.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there jchiggins -- Nice rifles! There is a High Wall lurking, but I just haven't come up with the right combination of trade goods yet!

OS -- When the sun is out, so is most of everything on the girls. I sure we couldn't get it by Hobie and Ambracol - being this is a family forum and all!

Griff -- The first shots I heard on this camera reminded me of just that!! I think there must be some sort of sound limiter on it. Sure does pick up the wind though! I wish you could hear that nice sharp crack of the rifle and then then echo rolling down the ridge on the right.

It was another fun day of shooting. Thanks for the kind words ya'll. Best regards. Wind
jchiggins
Levergunner

Post by jchiggins »

[quote="Wind"]Hey there jchiggins -- Nice rifles! There is a High Wall lurking, but I just haven't come up with the right combination of trade goods yet!

I love em. I ditched the 45-7 0 and started enjoying shooting. At one time I got a Marlin 1895CB in 45-70. I had the brilliant idea of shooting 500 grain bullets in it for long range. I think my shoulder is still tweaked. Nastiest gun I have ever shot. I forgot to put the pad on it. Yikes!
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there again jchiggins -- Do you still have that Marlin 1895CB? If so, I would be interested in talking to you about it. Best regards. Wind
jchiggins
Levergunner

Post by jchiggins »

It went down the road a long time ago. Nice gun but stick to the 350/400 grain bullets. I hated to sell it because when i got it, Marlin had put on a really nasty piece of buttstock wood. I called up and complained and the Manager hand picked me a butt and matching fore end nicer than any of the Marlins I have ever had.
By the way, the third gun in that picture was for long range side matches in pistol caliber. Originally a 45 Colt gun I got a good deal on, I had a Green Mountain barrel put on it and converted to 38-40 caliber. The stock was one of the uncheckered models so I had a lady who does nice work for a reasonable price hand checker it. Julie Marx is her name. Checkermarx, the business.
I have the habit of taking guns with factory finish, stripping them and then staining and putting a nice Plinkington Oil finish rubbed in. Nothing like it for a classy look.
I then had a nice Columbia Precision tang sight added. This is sight has a much better windage and elevation set up than a Marvel.
Oh well, Good thing I am not obsessive.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I keep thinking the .375 Winchester would make an excellent 'out there' cartridge for long-range shooting, but you guys with .38-55's sure work some long-distance wonders.

Question - How does the .38-55 compare to the .375 Winchester...?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Wind wrote:Griff -- The first shots I heard on this camera reminded me of just that!! I think there must be some sort of sound limiter on it. Sure does pick up the wind though! I wish you could hear that nice sharp crack of the rifle and then then echo rolling down the ridge on the right.
Wind
Wind,

I was referring to the lack of SMOKE! :P I do think there are noise limiters on most video equipment. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there AJ -- I would think the 375 Winchester would play well. I don't have any personal experience with one, but they are very similar to the 38-55. The key is having enough rear sight. It is a blast, that's for sure.

And Griff -- Geez... We have enough trouble seeing the target without having our eyes full of smoke and coughing up a lung as well!! And the DNR would be all over us for not conforming to the burn ban. Next time you're out this way stop in, I've got plenty of room for your truck.

Best regards. Wind
jchiggins
Levergunner

Post by jchiggins »

By the way, if you want something better than a Marbles tang sight and less than a full boogie vernier tang sight. Consider the Columbia Precision sight.
Pretty nice although his Marlin model seen here is sold with a blank base and you or a smith must drill the holes and fit it so it misses the bolt and hammer.
http://www.columbiaprecision.com

This is a Steve Baldwin front sight. Excellent front sight because if you use a regular globe front, with the spirit level hanging off the back, the sun coming over your shoulder will often obliterate the view of the bubble. Notice that round knob on the side of the Baldwin sight. That is the spirit level which is inside of the sight barrel near the insert so it stays very visible no matter what the light. www.buffaloarms.com handles them.
Only thing about Baldwins sights is his inserts are unique to the sight so if you like them, and I do, you are good to go.
One more thing, the front of the globe will overhang the muzzle on a standard Marlin lever gun dove tail. Small chore for some gunsmith to turn this down and cold blue it if the overhang bothers you.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there JC -- Great information and super good pictures. I am a died in the wool Montana Vintage Arms sight guy. Most of my long range rifles have blade front sights as opposed to globes. I like them that way and seem to shoot better with an open front sight. There are a few exceptions. This game really is all about sights. Thanks for posting that information. Best regards. Wind
jchiggins
Levergunner

Post by jchiggins »

Thanks. Rifles are my love. In particular the long range traditional ones. Fun and games with loud toys.
Here is the Parts Unknown Ukranian sight on the 38-55. Nice sight for the money and does what it has to.
Not an ideal fit, note the bobbed hammer.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Shows what a RIFLEMAN can do with an obsolete brush cartridge :lol: Eat your heart out GUNS & AMMO 8)
jchiggins
Levergunner

Post by jchiggins »

Always wanted to go to the big Quigley match in Wyoming, I believe. Great long range match. Lots of lever action action.
Speaking of Quigley, I was in a reloading components only store in LA years ago and noticed a white Land Rover out front. When I walked in there were some guys by the cash register. I thought that big guy looks like Tom Selleck. It was. I had my head somewhere else. The store sold lots of firearms books including the big definitive work on Sharp rifles.
If I had been on the ball, I'd have grabbed that book and asked Tom to sign it for me. Would have made a great keepsake.
He has a ranch with his own gun range outside Camarillo. He's a big shooter the store owners said. Came in regularly.
Store is now gone and so is my Sharps.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Ya want LONG RANGE? This was LONG RANGE. I missed this year's event, but if I get another invite, I'll be all over it. And taking more guns than just the Sharps!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there Griff -- That was quite an event! Whit and I have been working out some loads on two very new rifles to us. As well as sorting out loads, I have been getting Whit totally addicted to long range shooting. He is laying awake nights trying to decide on sights and things. The really good thing about Whit is he has a natural long range talent. I've got the yardage in my front yard, so it will just be a matter of getting the load and sight combination. It won't be long. Best regards. Wind
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AWESOME!!! 8) 8) 8)