da blamed marlin 30-30 how much to replace barrel

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

da blamed marlin 30-30 how much to replace barrel

Post by fordwannabe »

Hello again gents, I have a 336 with a full magazine that I can't get to shoot anything factory, handload jacketed, or cast. I mean 4 inch groups at 50 yards with iron or scope, soooooo can I have this barrel replaced with an octagon one and where to get one? Do I need any other parts to do this, and how much do you think it would run to have the work done. Thanks Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: da blamed marlin 30-30 how much to replace barrel

Post by J Miller »

If this is current or recent manufacture, I'd recommend sending it back to Marlin.

Other than that, somebody else will have to comment.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Because of the "hood" rebarreling the Marlin is a bit more involved than a Winchester 1894. If it were mine, I'd explore replacing the barrel with another of the same model, reboring to .38-55 (Jesse Ocumpaugh) or sending it to Marlin for the set-up of choice/availability. Those are the most cost effective options.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Depending on how adept yu are at one time Numerich had 336 barrels for like $50 each. I may still have a couple, the ones I got were like brand new and have worked well as both replacments and as liners.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Have you considered recrowning? Other than that, I love the 38-55 option.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

This may sound stupid but does it have any rifling in it. A friend of mine had one that was a factory smooth bore. He sent it back and they fixed it.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Marvin S wrote:This may sound stupid but does it have any rifling in it. A friend of mine had one that was a factory smooth bore. He sent it back and they fixed it.
The question is NOT stupid, it has happened before. However, he stated elsewhere that he'd slugged the bore and it was .310" groove diameter (IIRC).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, I think that I would inspect the muzzle's crown under magnification before I did much else - and even the last/first 2" of rifling.

More leverguns have cleaning rod caused accuracy issues (due to cleaning from the muzzle) than other roots.

A simple recrowning might restore accuracy, but if the rifling's worn near the muzzle, the barrel would need to be shortened past any damage before recrowning.

fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

It's a 1977 I think and I did the brass screw with lapping compound thing on the muzzle, I just don't know any more. I don't want to trade it because it was given to me by my brother but, dang I'd be hard pressed to hit a deer past fifty yards and it's not the sights cause I mounted a 18x scope on it thinking it was me. I have tried jacketed and truly the best was 3 inches at 50 yards. I have tried cast in 308, 309, 310, 311, 312. Also tried 150 grainers, 170 grainers, and becasue I thought maybe it was my bullets, I tried commercial cast as well as some I traded others for.Truly I think it's just a bad barrel. My brother got it cheap and gave it to me as a present when he didn't have a lot of money and it means alot to me because of that. How much is a 38-55 rebore? but I have a ton of 30-30 stuff and already have a 35 remmy so I think I want to keep it a 30-30. How hard is it to get an octagon barrel put on any different hangers or screws or anything? Thanks Tom
I may not shoot like Elmer Keith but dang I type like him, aaaarrrggghhh
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.