OT- Another 1931 photo of Texas Rangers in Kilgore, Texas.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

OT- Another 1931 photo of Texas Rangers in Kilgore, Texas.

Post by rangerider7 »

This is one of Tom Beard's holsters. It was made by A. W. Brill of Austin Texas. The revolver is a 44-40 New Service King's conversion That I'm still trying to get the documentation on.

I have already posted a photo of Captain's Hickman's Texas Rangers car badge.
"That'll Be The Day"
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Re: OT- Another 1931 photo of Texas Rangers in Kilgore, Texas.

Post by RSY »

After a hard day of straightening things out, I bet they're headed to the Country Tavern for the best ribs in Texas and a couple of cold ones. :mrgreen:

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Another great picture, thanks. Reckon what the rifle is in the left side scabbard? Do you ever notice how everyone has their stirrups at different lengths, some ride short and some long. My dad taught me to adjust them to arms lengthwith the stirrup under my armpit and my fingers in the middle of the seat, when I stand in the stirrups I can just clear the seat.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Jerry B, I was taught the same way. :)
"That'll Be The Day"
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

the fella on the right [paint horse] looks like he's spent a while a horseback.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

The old boy on the paint horse sure does favor John Wayne some.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

pokey wrote:the fella on the right [paint horse] looks like he's spent a while a horseback.
Don't let Hickman's finery fool you. According to W.P. Webb, he was also well-known as a stock show and rodeo judge, having worked events across "the West, and in Chicago, New York, and London." (Pg. 550, The Texas Rangers). I think we can safely assume he knew his way around a saddle.

Does anyone else think the gun in the scabbard kinda looks like a Browning Auto-5/Remington Model 11 shotgun, perhaps? I see that big round, square-backed receiver for the 12-gauge bolt...or do I???
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

RSY, about this time many Rangers were carrying Remington model 8, 30 or 35 caliber semi-automatic rifles. I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
"That'll Be The Day"
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I'd like to thank you rangerider7, for all the info/history of The Great State of Texas. I have family history in Texas, but, all photos and documentation have been lost. My great grandma was Cherokee (on my Mom's side) and my grandpa was an off and on constable/cowboy/oil field worker. When my Dad was in his teens he worked in a whore house as a go-fer in some small town in Oklahoma. I do remember my grandpa telling a story about "Cut 'n Shoot", Texas. I wonder if that was really a town or just a yarn...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

mikld wrote:I do remember my grandpa telling a story about "Cut 'n Shoot", Texas. I wonder if that was really a town or just a yarn...
It's a real place.

From the TSHA's Handbook of Texas Online: http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/onli ... hlc65.html
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I can't tell you how much I enjoy your shared photos... simply fascinating/wonderful.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

rangerider7 wrote:RSY, about this time many Rangers were carrying Remington model 8, 30 or 35 caliber semi-automatic rifles. I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
You're probably right about that. I just thought the top of the receiver looked a little too big around for a Model 8. Also, I figured he may have brought a scattergun as a more appropriate implement for the work at hand that day.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

rangerider7 wrote:RSY, about this time many Rangers were carrying Remington model 8, 30 or 35 caliber semi-automatic rifles. I'm pretty sure that's what it is.
If you bring the photo way up, it appears that there is a tang sight on the captain's gun...
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Phideaux
Levergunner

Post by Phideaux »

Range Rider, the great pictures you post are one of the pleasures of following this forum. I don't post much, but I really appreciate seeing these and reading the history.