Some thoughts on shooting with iron sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Some thoughts on shooting with iron sights

Post by BwanaDave »

Most of my rifles have iron sights. I really like the Ashley (XS) ghost rings and several wear them. I like the white line in the front sight for low light situations. My single shots have various apeture sights , Redfield, Parker Hale and Shaver Soule style. I had my eye doc make up some glasses just for shooting, they focus at 3'. The older I get the more I like the traditional in rifles.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Griff wrote:
KirkD wrote:Goes to show you how much I toss hand grenades around. :D I thought a fellow had to hold on to the grenade after releasing the spoon while he counted off the number of seconds not needed to make the target, so the lucky recipient wouldn't have time to pick it up and heave it back. This always seemed like a risky thing to me and would call for a lot of faith in the timing of the fuse, which in turned would make a fellow hope it wasn't made on a Friday afternoon or a Monday morning. :D
It depends on the range. Shorter ranges, yes... release the spoon and count to... X, then toss. Longer range, count less, toss sooner! But, wait, the subject was sight aquisition... not lock time! :P :P :P
My DIs were always annoyed (that means long streams of explitives) at my grenade style.

Seems that my method of timing and throwing so that the grenade always went off right at belt level (without ever landing in the dirt) was both (a) &^#%&^%#^&!!! dangerous and (b) destroyed too many practice targets.

OTOH, during one rifle qual range session I ran out of ammo before popping the 25m target (miscounted my rounds :oops: ) so rather than just quit, I reached out to in front of my firing position, grabbed a rock and hit the pop-up with it... causing it to fall just about the time I remembered to yell "grenade".

That earned another string of explitives. :twisted: :lol: :mrgreen:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
donw
Levergunner 3.0

Post by donw »

ben_rumson... :lol: :lol: :lol:

i did handle grenades with those markings...we used them in perimeter defenses..before the advent of the claymore...
if you think you're influencial, try telling someone else's dog what to do---will rogers
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Well Kirk, the fun one was wiring up 5 lbs of TNT then lighting the fuse then the training Sgt made fall in next to it with the fuse lit and then of course run a little inspection with it burning then sloooowlyyy march us over a berm just before the blast went off. Great timing for maximum effect on his part. :o :shock: :(
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Sounds like your training Sgt. had a sense of humor!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

That pressure sensitive fuse you could screw in was a nasty little gizmo too...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY