A New First For ME !

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

A New First For ME !

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well got my first damage control animal this year tonight at 20:00 !

Shot a 125 pound live weight female black bear !
This is the first black bear I've ever shot at in my 49 years !

She walked up to about 15 yards of my tree so I shot her in the head and that was that !

Used one of my 1974 Second Model rifles with a Weaver K2.5 60B on top and I was shooting my Mountain Molds 433-375GC WQ WW bullet pushed by 41 grains of H322 !

Took 3 pics that will follow on thursday (my old desktop here at home doesn't allow me to download pics and my laptop the modom is fried and we have dial up ) so I'll get them on at the shop thursday morning !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A New First For ME !

Post by C. Cash »

Congrats 6pt! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

6pt-sika wrote:Well got my first damage control animal this year tonight at 20:00 !

Shot a 125 pound live weight female black bear !
This is the first black bear I've ever shot at in my 49 years !

She walked up to about 15 yards of my tree so I shot her in the head and that was that !

Used one of my 1974 Second Model rifles with a Weaver K2.5 60B on top and I was shooting my Mountain Molds 433-375GC WQ WW bullet pushed by 41 grains of H322 !

Took 3 pics that will follow on thursday (my old desktop here at home doesn't allow me to download pics and my laptop the modom is fried and we have dial up ) so I'll get them on at the shop thursday morning !
I held a nuisance wildlife control permit for the state of Kansas for several years. Never went after anything bigger than a bobcat or coyote though. Theoretically I could have killed whitetails, if the landowner had depredation problems, but I never did.

Killing a bear on a nuisance animal job had to be quite a thrill for all involved!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Warhawk wrote:Killing a bear on a nuisance animal job had to be quite a thrill for all involved!

We aren't done yet !

We have 5 Bear Permits until the end of the month and unlimited antlerless whitetail permits until the end of september !
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Congratulations! A lot of my bear experiences came from working with DEC or DNR in different states on the bear team. Of the 30 or so I've shot only a handful were in hunting situations. We shot 'em in Girl Scout camps, garbage dumps and even one inside a Pepsi Cola plant. You'll learn a lot about calibers and bullets, shot placement, shot effect and other terminal ballistic phenomenon shooting problem animals, particularly bears. Are you on your own? Since I was working for the State in this manner, I had someone from the State supervising us and all the bears were taken in daylight. Being able to go do it yourself sounds pretty cool! Good Luck!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Good for you. wishes for your continued succes.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

86er wrote:Congratulations! A lot of my bear experiences came from working with DEC or DNR in different states on the bear team. Of the 30 or so I've shot only a handful were in hunting situations. We shot 'em in Girl Scout camps, garbage dumps and even one inside a Pepsi Cola plant. You'll learn a lot about calibers and bullets, shot placement, shot effect and other terminal ballistic phenomenon shooting problem animals, particularly bears. Are you on your own? Since I was working for the State in this manner, I had someone from the State supervising us and all the bears were taken in daylight. Being able to go do it yourself sounds pretty cool! Good Luck!
Three of us are hunting over a friends peach/apple orchard . The DGIF lets us do our own thing without supervision so to speak . Only thing our papers say are 5 bear without cubs . Meaning don't shoot a sow with cubs . And for the deer it's unlimited antlerless . Bear runs out 8/31 and the deer runs until the end of september .

Lately I've been carrying to rifles up the tree with me . Both 444's with cast bullets . But one with a lighter deer bullet and the other with heavier bullet for bear . I've got about a dozen different 444's set up with different home cast bullets I've not killed with and of course all the guns I'm using are cherry for me in the game fields as well !
My bullet selection runs from a 207 grain bullet up to three differnt 400 grainers .
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Congrats!
got pics?
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congrats!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
papabear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by papabear »

Congratulation on your bear I got my first a few years back thanks to 86er I am looking forward to my next bear hunt with him
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
====================================================================
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed
For Those Who Don't None Will Do
====================================================================
Member Of The N.R.A.-North American Hunting club-Syosset Gun Club
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

Good job on the bear, I did depradation hunts this winter, but only for deer. As a long time user of Mountain Moulds I admire your choice of projectile, Boolits forever.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Congratulations! :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

KCSO wrote:Good job on the bear, I did depradation hunts this winter, but only for deer. As a long time user of Mountain Moulds I admire your choice of projectile, Boolits forever.

Check out MM's home page the two molds on the home page are the ones he cut for me last year :wink:

But then I also have 375 and 400 grain molds from LBT to test . And 375 and 400 grain molds from BRP in the Ranch Dog style . To say nothing of the NEI 429-350GC which drops at 370 grains !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Okay here's the bear I got 2 days ago with the 1974 Second Model with a Weaver K2.5 on top shooting the Mountain Molds 433-375GC pushed with 41 grains of H322 !
I originally said the bear was shot at 15 yards , but I actually ranged it last night and it turned out to be more in the 9-10 yard range !