Wanted: .32-40 and .32WS Winchester Special Crimp Dies.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Wanted: .32-40 and .32WS Winchester Special Crimp Dies.

Post by LeverBar »

Last year, Lee built a couple .32-40 crimp dies for me. I sent one of them to another fellow. Now I can't remember who it was, and the old forum (tears) is gone, so I can't search to find his name. I could use it now, if he's not using it.

Anyway, do any of you have .32-40 or .32 Winchester Special Lee Factory Crimp Dies that I could purchase from you or trade with you?

These calibers are not normally produced by Lee people, so you have to send them a cartridge, and they make a custom die for you.

(By the time I stock up on these, I'll learn they are not the cat's meow, and have a shelf full of them to catch dust!) A current thread on our forum has Griff and others saying they are for wimpy loaders! Ouch!:) So now I have to take a closer look at their properties, their effect on the bullet.

Just when you think you have it figured out, along comes....
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I believe at Midway they had 32 special LEE factory crimp stated as "coming soon."
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I bought, from someone on the old forum that I'm embarassed t say I forgot who it was, a 7.65 Argentine LFC die that he said worked on 32/40.
He was right it does. :D Thanks whoever you were. :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Any Lee FCD that is made for a 32 caliber cartridge that is SHORTER will work. You just have to make a spacer for it.
I use a 38-40 LFCD die for 40-65 and 40-82. I cut a 1/2" copper pipe to a length that is the exact dfference between case lengths of the 38-40 and 40-65 (or 40-82). I then slip this short section of copper pipe over the loaded round before running it in the "host" FLCD. Works perfect.

This also pertains to cartridges of any caliber as long as the caliber is the same and the host die is shorter.

If you have a problem, let me know and I will send you pics----------Sixgun

p.s. I earlier had stated the host die needs to be longer. I had a brain fa*t.
Last edited by Sixgun on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

I use the FCD from my 30/30 die set on my .32WS and it works just fine. Just go slow and easy. I can't speak to the 32/40.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
LeverBar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by LeverBar »

Leverdude,
That could have been me; although, the one I sent was free. It was a good deal for both of us. I'm glad to hear it works.
That was after I had received the .32-40's.

You fellows are clever.

So, what is the die doing if I use a .30-30 LFD on the .321-23 calibers?
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

LeverBar wrote:Leverdude,
That was me. Only I sent it to you for free. It was a good deal for both of us. I'm glad to hear it works.
That was after I had received the .32-40's.

You fellows are clever.

So, what is the die doing if I use a .30-30 LFD on the .321-23 calibers?
Well thank you Sir, I sure apreciate it. I apologize again for forgetting who's who & worse yet forgetting the awesome price!:oops: Been thru alot of transactions here & they get confused for sure. Anyway I was suposed to tell you how it worked when I got to useing it.
That took awhile because it doesn't work on 30/30 cases. Theyre too short.
I was useing jacketed bullets in 30/30 cases at the time & it just sat on the shelf.
When I finally got cases & had time to start building ammo I'd forgot who was who. But it works great on every cast bullet I'v tried so far!

I imagine a 30/30 die would work if the mouth of a 32 fits into it. Just need to go easy.
You wont be able to use long 32/40 cases tho, unless you make a spacer like 6Gun described (Great idea! :D )

Check your PM.
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

modify an 8mm Lee factory crimp die. Use a spacer like suggested. It is the proper dia. for the 32 cal.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

DerekR wrote:I use the FCD from my 30/30 die set on my .32WS and it works just fine. Just go slow and easy. I can't speak to the 32/40.
Derak,
Well I'll be! I read your post and just had to try that out. I used a cast bullet in the 32 Spl, screwed in a 30-30 LFCD and that baby worked great! I pulled the bullet and a very nice indentation was on the bullet. (I seated the bullet away from the crimp groove so I could see the firmness of the crimp.)
Thanks pard :D --I learn somethin' new everyday. :D ------------------------------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

Pretty cool, huh? Us .32 WS shooters have to get a little creative sometimes!
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
northwoods
Levergunner 1.0

Post by northwoods »

New ammo for the 32 special also, Hornady's LeverEvolution!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

If I am not mistaken - there was an article in one of the monthly rags, not that long ago (Rifle - I beleive) about reloading the 32 special - and they made mention that you could use the Lee 30-30 fac. crimp die for 32 special