Best black powder sub?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Best black powder sub?

Post by brno602 »

What's a good Black Powder sub?
I have only tried Pyro R/S in cartridge type guns, I have always stuck to Goex 2f or 3f powder for any old reloading I do and only shoot the Real thing in my Hawken, and will only shoot the real thing in my Hawken, but for the Cartridge guns say a 45/75 what's a good non Black powder Sub? not really wanting to shoot a true smokeless powder. I did not like the Pyro R/S Velocity was way down compared to what I got with real Black powder. And I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Best black powder sub?

Post by gamekeeper »

Only used it in muzzle loaders and cap n ball revolvers but I found "Hodgdon Triple Seven" seemed to hava a bit more poke. I don't know if that would be the same with cartridges.
If more men loved and cherished their wives as much as I love bacon the world would be a much better place.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Is the Pyrodex cartridge powder still available????
I had a can of pyrodex select recently that just looked like the old cartridge stuff!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
perry owens
Levergunner 3.0

Post by perry owens »

I use real BP in all my guns except my 1873 Winchester in 38-40. It has a few pits in the bore and I find that with 777 I can fire a lot more shots before accuracy goes out the window. As Gamekeeper says, 777 seems to have a bit more poke than other substitutes. I am going to the range on Thursday to chrono some 777 loads in 38-40 and .357 Magnum.
Perry Owens
"Always carry a firearm east of Aldgate Watson."
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Why mess with the subs? Several subs are more corrosive and offer tougher cleanup than true black. With the window cleaner/vinegar solutions and the proper lubes, BP cleanup is about as simple as smokeless.
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Post by Doc Hudson »

have you tried the Swiss Blackpowder in FFg or FFFg granulation?

I'm told that it produces less fouling than any other brand of blackpowder. And on top of that, it smells right!

Just remember, that smokeless stuff is just a passing fad
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

You already have plenty of experience with the real thing why change? All those other powders may make smoke but when the horn blows and lead starts flying down range a lung full of BP smoke turns me into a shooting machine.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Doc Hudson wrote:have you tried the Swiss Blackpowder in FFg or FFFg granulation?

I'm told that it produces less fouling than any other brand of blackpowder. And on top of that, it smells right!

Just remember, that smokeless stuff is just a passing fad

A+ 8)
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

777 Worked on these three..! Might be a bit dirtier than other BP substitutes, but it lights easy and has plenty of Oooomph..!

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

brno602 wrote:What's a good Black Powder sub?
I have only tried Pyro R/S in cartridge type guns, I have always stuck to Goex 2f or 3f powder for any old reloading I do and only shoot the Real thing in my Hawken, and will only shoot the real thing in my Hawken, but for the Cartridge guns say a 45/75 what's a good non Black powder Sub? not really wanting to shoot a true smokeless powder. I did not like the Pyro R/S Velocity was way down compared to what I got with real Black powder. And I could not hit the broad side of a barn with it!
IMEX, Goex is second only to Elephant in fouling. Swiss is great, but pricy. Graf is a good "middle of the road".

HOWEVER, you can make ANY powder as clean as Swiss or Graf by re-screening it to get consistant granulation and remove the fines. IIRC a 40-mesh brass screen is what you want for 3F. I successfully turned cheap, Chinese bulk firecracker powder (Lidu) into a powder that shot as clean as Swiss, with only a slight decrease in velocity SD, for about 1/3 the price...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Where does one find Chinese firecracker powder?
OI phones in...
Levergunner 2.0

Post by OI phones in... »

20cows wrote:Where does one find Chinese firecracker powder?

A couple-three years ago you could buy it in 25lb bags from deer creek in waldron in or at friendship... but they sort of went belly up... or at least closed their magazine.
I'm away from my computer right now, but if you will leave a message, I still have my Geek Tools...

GOT GUN? Get T-Shirt!! Stand up & fight Prohibition!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

When it comes to cartridge guns I'm in the if not real black then shoot smokeless. The other stuff is terrible expensive, doesn't work as well and is just weird.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

While the American Pioneer stuff in the sticks is really easy to clean up and doesn't cause rust, it seems to have a lot of variation in velocity from shot to shot. I have some and am not really impressed. Triple 7 looks better to me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
stanforth
Levergunner 1.0

Post by stanforth »

Nath wrote:Is the Pyrodex cartridge powder still available????
I had a can of pyrodex select recently that just looked like the old cartridge stuff!

Nath.
Pyrodex and Triple 7 is available in the UK from Henry Krank and Co. check out www.henrykrank.com
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Who is a good online source for the Swiss BP?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

mklwhite wrote:Who is a good online source for the Swiss BP?
Grafs will ship as little as 1 lb, Powder Inc and Buffalo Arms both ship in 5 lb lots.
Beware Swiss doesn't quite live up to its reputation.....
If a person is bound and determined to spend his American dollars on foreign workers Scheutzen, is the better of the European imports IMHO. Grafs relabels Schuetzen and sells it under their own name brand
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I use nothing but American Pioneer Powder (ffg) in all my cartridge applications. It is excellent, IMHO. I use Goex in Shotgun shells.
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Here is a great source for black powder - Goex, Schuetzen, Swiss, Diamondback
Back Creek Gunshop - located very near NSSA - (North South Skirmish Association) in Winchester , VA
http://www.blackpowderva.com/

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

I went to the local metropolis today specifically to buy a pound or two of black powder. I don't use it often and have never tried to mail order it as it wouldn't be cost effective to buy it in the small quantities I'm willing to pay for all at once.

All inquries were met with the same answer nobody in Abilene, Texas was willing to jump through the necessary hoops to be licensed to sell it.

I grumbled a little bit and got a pound of Pyrex (all the store I was in when I for sure figured out black wasn't going to happen). My main reason for needing the powder at the moment is to feed a couple of cannons for the Forth (much more satisfying than a firecracker) and Pyrex will do that fine.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Ordering 2 lbs of Grafs house brand powder brings the total bill a tad over 50$, that puts the black at the same price as smokeless per pound or a bit cheaper.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Thanks for the info guy's I guess I would just have to buy some and try it I only load Cartridges for friends of mine that have old rifles as I load Black in my Hawkens. I do not mind cleaning black powder guns but the others do lol. I tell them you want that gun and brass to last you have to clean it! :lol:
But I also think most Black powder Subs are a bit corrosive also?
So I might just stick to Black.
I think I will start a new thread looking for a 45/75 smokeless load.
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

All inquries were met with the same answer nobody in Abilene, Texas was willing to jump through the necessary hoops to be licensed to sell it.
Same is true for Odessa! Large portions of West Texas seem to be a black powder desert (and a real dry place, too!).