Colt's New Service

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Colt's New Service

Post by Malamute »

Saw several Colt's New Service revolvers at the show. They were in decent shape, from very tight to pretty good, from slightly rough finish to thinning blue, and in calibers from 38 spl, to 44 WCF, to something rechambered to 45 Colt. Prices were fair also, from $350 to $500. Looks like a good niche for a fun, unusual shooter. I think I could enjoy shooting one, and dragging it around in the hills some.

Probably good I'm poor at the moment.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt's New Service

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I've got a marshall version that my Dad gave me. This came to him from his Uncle. Its a 1917 45 ACP model. It had ugly Colt plastic grips when I got it and I looked around for quite awhile until I found some decent walnut ones to put on it.

Shoots pretty good.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Good revolvers.Have dad's and it will never leave by my choice.Prices don't sound bad either-at least better then here.
mergus
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mergus »

The New Service Revolver is an interesting beast. I believe I read somewhere that it has the longest reach, that is from the back of the grip to the trigger of any double action revolver ever made. Coupled with a heavy DA trigger pull, many people with small hands find it a hard gun to shoot. I have 3 of them and I have trouble using the stock grips in DA. Thats why I usually put Pachmyer Presentation grips on mine. Of course I save the original grips.

All 3 of mine are .45's. Someday I hope to find a really nice one in 38-40.

Mergus
Colt pistols, Marlin rifles and old SxS's.....
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Sr.here on Jr's computer... Jr. was at a friend's house last night and one of hisfriends was dragging ut his pop's guns for show and tell. He had a new service in .44. I thought it was it was a .44 special??? is it .44-40? They a .44 mag will chamber in it.
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

It's not marked? Or is it just marked "44"?

I'd think if the 44 Special and mags are snug at the rear, it's probably a 44 Special.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I believe the 44 I saw just said "44". The seller said it was a 44-40. The only way to be sure would be to try a 44-40 cartridge.They will start into a 44 spl chamber, but won't seat all the way. A dial caliper would tell the tale also.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I had a 1909 and a '17 New Service that I foolishly sold off when
they started to get pricey. Really wish I'd kept the '17 was a great revolver.
Though I kept the S&W Second Model Hand Ejectors, a .455 and a .45 ACP the
Colts were beauties!!!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

mergus wrote: All 3 of mine are .45's. Someday I hope to find a really nice one in 38-40.
38-40 - like the one I picked up a couple weeks ago? :D

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Funny thing about the Colt New Services. They made about the same number of them as they did of their Single Action Army and guess which one sells for about 5 times as much as the other? Nice examples of 80-90% can be had for under a "G". Prices are down at the moment and it would be wise for you boys who don't have one, to snag one. :D

I've had a few over the years and they are a rugged gun---just ask the Army what they thought of 'em. :D

A .44 Spl NS will be marked "44 Spl. & Russian" The .44 Spl.cylinder chambers will be straight while the 44-40 has a shoulder. Neither cartridge will chamber in the other.

This one is a Shooting Master--same gun but with target sights and a round butt. 44 Special with a fitted cylinder & crane for 44-40. I have over 3,000 rounds out of it.--------Sixgun

This one was once the standard issue for the New York State Troopers. .45 L.Colt
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

It takes "piano player fingers" or big mitts to shoot one of them. I can't do it; my hands are medium-sized and I can "just" get the pad of my finger on the edge of the trigger of a Colt NS.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .