Savage 24C Series R

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Savage 24C Series R

Post by santacruzpaul »

Hi all,
(Savage 24C series R) i, After doing a good cleaning and oiling, I went up to the range today to shoot it for the first time, I put about 5 rounds through the lower 20 ga. barrel, it shot just fine,
When shooting the top barrel I got about 3 dud's per box of fifty, The ammo I use is Win, Super X, (have about 20 bricks all from the same lot #) and the ammo shoots flawlessly through my levergun, revolvers and auto pistol, so I know it's not the ammo.
Can you guys give me your thoughts on this?
Your input is much appreciated,
Thanks, Paul
Last edited by santacruzpaul on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Re: Savage 24C Series R

Post by bsaride »

Sounds like a gummed up firing pin.
Get into the action and degrease well and light lube would be the first thing I'd do.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

Paul,

I'd try to shoot some degreaser in the firing pin hole for the 22 barrel. If that doesn't cure it I'd get a new firing pin for it. They are neat little guns. I bought one of the newer ones a few weeks ago to use as a truck gun. Just Google savage 24 and you can find plenty of info.

Chris
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

thanks for the info guys, just got done doing a real deep cleaning, will head up to the range thursday if all goes well, will update then,
thanks again, Paul
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Dont know what you paid for it, but those are great guns. Cabela's had one for only $499. Sure wished I woulda bought one back in the 70's when they were too expensive at $50 to $75 used. Doese yours have the swing out plate where u can store estra ammo?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

, it's the camper, Aluminum plate flips open to store 10 rounds of 22 LR, and one round 20 ga also is 5 in. shorter than a standard 24,
am in the process of ordering a sling from chance at leverguns leather that will hold up to 50 more rounds.
ALSO LOOKING for a hammer extension, A fit chart on the 24's are hard to find anyone have any suggestions?

3leggedturtle wrote:Dont know what you paid for it, but those are great guns. Cabela's had one for only $499. Sure wished I woulda bought one back in the 70's when they were too expensive at $50 to $75 used. Doese yours have the swing out plate where u can store estra ammo?
Last edited by santacruzpaul on Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

The ones that come with Marlin lever guns usually work.

Did you post this on Savage24 as well? (it comes up all the time so I can't guess who's who) Somewhere in the threads there's a fix that usually works, though not always.

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/180203.html
Slow is just slow.
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

thanks for that cas, i have a few posts on savage 24, it's kind of hard to search the site, i know there is a bunch of guys over there with a wealth of knowledge, will keep trying to unlock it.
i shot the 24c today, after the deep cleaning, i got only 2 misfires in 150 rounds, allot better, But i need it to go bang every time, cleaned the firing pin area again just now, (did not take it apart) If i get anymore duds the next trip to the range, i will try replacing the firing pin and spring.
I was going to remove the firing pin and spring for cleaning, but am not sure if it comes out and goes back easily, any thoughts?
Paul
cas wrote:The ones that come with Marlin lever guns usually work.

Did you post this on Savage24 as well? (it comes up all the time so I can't guess who's who) Somewhere in the threads there's a fix that usually works, though not always.

http://disc.yourwebapps.com/Indices/180203.html
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I have 4 Savage 24's. I didn't say anything because I wanted to see if being gummed up was your problem. In all 4 I had the same trouble which was cured by a trip to my gunsmith who sees it all the time. If I remember correctly (been quite a few years since I had one in) it was the fault in every instance of the mainspring and he needed to bend something which cured the problem 100% of the time.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

thanks for the knowledge 2x22,
i wish i had your gunsmith to check things out for me, (have his phone number by any chance) here in santa cruz and anywhere close to here gunsmiths are a rare commodity, will try it up at the range one more time after this cleaning, if that doesn't work will go to plan B whatever that is,
thanks again. Paul

2X22 wrote:I have 4 Savage 24's. I didn't say anything because I wanted to see if being gummed up was your problem. In all 4 I had the same trouble which was cured by a trip to my gunsmith who sees it all the time. If I remember correctly (been quite a few years since I had one in) it was the fault in every instance of the mainspring and he needed to bend something which cured the problem 100% of the time.

2x22
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Slow is just slow.
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

thanks for the links cas, i just joined the high road to see pic's, do you think this will be a fix for the upper 22lr barrel? the 20 ga. hits like a freight train by the looks of the spent primers.
Paul

cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I couldn't say. I've never dealt with it myself. I did have one with that problem, but had to sell it (with full disclosure) before I got a chance to fiddle with it. I believe the diagrams and everything are on the Savage24 forum a couple places, but that was the first one I came across.

When most people have trouble, it seems to be with the lower barrel. Maybe because they require a harder hit.

My 24C is a series P... can't place the R. Is it a hammer selector gun?
Slow is just slow.
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

yes cas, has the hammer selector, i think the 24 was manufactured in the mid to late 70's
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

Update,
went to the range again yesterday after removing and polishing the firing pin, out of about 200 rounds had 1 misfire, chambered the round again rotating it 180 degree's, still didn't go bang, on the 3rd try rotating 90 degree's it went off.
with the way they are mass producing 22 ammo these days to keep up with demand i think I'm gonna call the 24's problem fixed.
now i need to do something with the sights for my again eyes, looking at William's peeps. although i do like cas's dual sight system, since slugs shoot about 6 or 8 in. low in my 24.
Paul

santacruzpaul wrote:yes cas, has the hammer selector, i think the 24 was manufactured in the mid to late 70's
santacruzpaul
Levergunner

Post by santacruzpaul »

update, got a reply from the savage 24 site, and was told i have a 24 manufactured in 1964,

Paul

santacruzpaul wrote:yes cas, has the hammer selector, i think the 24 was manufactured in the mid to late 70's