M99 Gift

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

M99 Gift

Post by Wes »

A good friend of mine stopped by this weekend to tell us he may be moving back east. He had with him a Model 99 Savage in 243. He told my kids it was theirs to use forever as long as they never sell it. His father won it on a punchboard ticket in town way back when. His kids don't like hunting and shooting so he thought he'd give it to someone who did. My kids DO love to shoot and hunt. What a nice guy. I offered to buy it from him, he wouldn't hear of it.
If I could figure out how to post a picture I would. The rifle is in good shape, has the brass round counter, and a gold trigger. Very nice. I wonder when it was made?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: M99 Gift

Post by Old Savage »

Great, what is the number?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

"Gold trigger" Savage 99 sure sounds like late-60's/early 70's IMHO............ :roll:
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Serial # on this gun is 101xxxx (I've wondered why everyone x's out part of the ser #, that's why I did it :lol: ).
Seems like a well made rifle. The color case hardening on the lever is bright and good looking. Nice wood. Wood to metal fit is good too.
My oldest daughter has dibs on this one. She already has a 300 Savage in an older M99 so I might get this one to the 7 yr old daughter when she's a little bigger.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

The reason for the X's is so someone doesn't claim it's theirs that was stolen. With the complete number they could file a police report.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

I suspected something like that being the reason Rusty. It's a shame there are people like that in this world.
So if no one here can give me an idea when this rifle was made, does anyone have some place I can go to and find out?
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Wes I tried all I got was it was made after 1950 heres a link maybe you can email the guy, with that serial number it might be a E model. danny
http://www.savage99.com/
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Hey thanks Danny. I'll give it a try.

I put some Redfield bases on it today at lunch (had to come in out of the wind and snow, cold ***!) while sitting by the fire. I'm going to mount a Weaver 2-7X on it. I really don't think this rifle has seen more than a couple boxes of shells shot through it. If that.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

That's a real friend. I'd keep in touch with that guy.
Old Law Dawg
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Yes he is and has been a good friend. More like a brother to me. My folks took him and two of his brother's in when they were young (they had a bad situation at home) and raised them on the ranch with the rest of us hooligans. He's big guy (6'6", 275 lb) with a big heart. Probably the strongest human being I ever saw, but he wouldn't hurt a fly.
In a way I wish his boys had been interested in the rifle. I could see the disappointment in his eyes when he talked about it.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Wes you will have all the family love in that old rifle he had because you are so close and now you'll be adding more to it.That old rifle is still makig memories.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Sounds like a really nice freind. I hope your boys like it. All these Savage 99 post are not helping my urges to buy one.