OT Black dog!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

OT Black dog!

Post by Nath »

Yes folks that black dog has been following me around just lately, just seems to creep up on me now and again.

I awoke this morning after a busy week at work and logging to find myself feeling not very motivated at all. I decided to go for a walk with just my trad bow thinking the lightness and quietness will make a change. The weather report spoke of rain moving in but it turned out to be sunny and hot all morning! The rain the day before had soaked me while logging and had softened the ground and made for quiet stalking.

After a couple of hours I took this photo for you's all,,,,

Just after I took this pic I found a game animal (cannot go into much detail in this wonderous free land not :roll: ).
I had to crouch down and wait for it to move out of view and then I started the stalk, suddenly in some cover of bracken I was presented with a shot that turned out to be 17 good paces.
I drew the bow and drew a line down the shaft and relaesed in less than 2 seconds.

I watched the pale cedar shaft snake away from the bow and then settle down and fall gracefully into the animal. The shaft did not go perfect center but good all the same and nearly a pass through.
The animal made 40paces and settled down and so I waited 10 minutes and called the dog to me. I made the retrieve and the dog was not required.

After I reflected on the intense moment and thought how wonderfull it was, that illuminated by the sun arrow flighting to the quarry, a good shot for me for sure and I have not shot this bow for nearly two months! I would sell my wheelie bow in a snip but not this one!

Any way I have some work curry meat for next week now and the black dog has gone again :)

Hope you enjoyed this little tale.

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Black dog!

Post by kimwcook »

As always, I love your stories afield, Nath. You and Tia of course.
Old Law Dawg
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Very good Nath, a walk with a real bow is as good as a walk with a fine old lever.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good story Nath. Keep 'em comin'! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

You sure brightened my morning. Not that it was bad, but knowing someone else had a good day makes my day even better.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You had me worried... Tia looks well. Tell us about the bow. A take-down?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Griff wrote:Good story Nath. Keep 'em comin'! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
+ 1 :)
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Looking at your adventure photo is as close as I'll get to going outside today. Work. :?

Thanks for the vicarious lift!

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Hobie wrote:You had me worried... Tia looks well. Tell us about the bow. A take-down?
Hobie, I don't know much about it except it shoots real good!

It is a take down and I'm drawing around 42#. It is a Mathew Farnham custom of some sort!

The riser looks just like a later bear Kodiak but the limbs are wavey some of which can be seen from the camera flash. Very smooth draw and no stacking. I used some knitting wool to silence the string and it works very well. Kodiak is written on the riser and the limbs have a very low serial #. I think the limbs are the custom parts.

I just got in from a small walk with the EBR and just missed some heavy rain, Tia just caught a baby rabbit, run it fast she did and brought it back to me unhurt. If I had more time from work I would love to put a whippet to her. They would make fine pups.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Great story as usual Nate. I hate to pry but given your geographical location, you don't happen to steal from the rich...?
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

octagon wrote:Great story as usual Nate. I hate to pry but given your geographical location, you don't happen to steal from the rich...?

Some say I am Robbin Hoods brother as in a robbing,,,,,,,

I say I contribute to the rich by making sure things that like to eat things for their pleasure are some what controlled free of charge (kind of :wink: )

The most valued thing I get in return is the freedom to come and go as I please at any time all year round, priceless.

My rabbits are taking a hammering now, they have contracted a disease wich has taken many. I don't like seeing this and hope they bounce back. Just one mile away they are fine!

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

awesome. I love walking in the woods with my stickbow. sorry for your arcane laws over there. thanks for the stories.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Sorry you suffer a with black dog. But good to see you handling it appropriately.

Following a break up with my ex I resolved much hiking over hill and dale with Winchester in hand, or lazily working my way up a creek with a fly rod.

The natural therapy of gentle exercise and the thrill of the hunt has much to recommend it.