Predator hunting with IPOD and speakers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Predator hunting with IPOD and speakers

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Has anybody here downloaded Rabbit screaming noises onto their ipod and broadcast this through speakers to attract foxes, cats and other 'furry critters'.

I just bought a cheap ipod clone to start experimenting and have found a website on line with a number of critter noises on it.

I need advice about speakers and such.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Predator hunting with IPOD and speakers

Post by TedH »

I haven't used an ipod, but there are a lot of guys on the predator masters forum that have. I have downloaded and several sounds though, just need an ipod now. :D

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/fo ... hreads.php
NRA Life Member
Hanzerik
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hanzerik »

I have all of varmint Al's, Ernie Wilson's, and western river sounds uploaded to my Motorola Droid cell phone, a little over 100 call sounds. I also made an e-caller from online directions and radio shack parts, think everything ran me about $30 for the Tupperware box, speaker, and battery powered amplifier and cables. I have only been out once since I made it, but it sounds good and is dang loud. I tried it out using my phone as the sound source and it worked fine...just hope I don't get a call while using it in the field LOL. I also have one of those cheap remote controlled electronic calls you can pick up from Walmart that can be used with with my e-caller.

Just plug "homemade e-caller" into Google and you should be able to find the old posts about which parts to get from radio shack. About the only tool you will need is a sharp knife or saw to cut the opening in the plastic container for he speaker. Or you can just use it with the speaker loose...the container is nice for carrying everything in one package.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I used to use a walkman for cassettes, with a 15' headset extension cord and a tiny Sony speaker instead of the headset. It worked fairly well. Should be able to use the same type speaker for an Ipod.

I also used to use the cassete machine in the truck radio, just opened the doors and walked away from it a short ways. Just want to be sure the radio doesnt start blasting when the tape/cd/whatever isn't at the end of it's cycle. :)
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Not by me...

But it's mentioned all the time over on the PredatorMasters website. Check the "electronic calls" forum for more details and helpful hints.

I know Gunny (JReed) and some others frequent that site often. As great as this site is for leverguns, that one is probably the best for predator calling.

Good luck.

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Phideaux
Levergunner

Post by Phideaux »

While I have not used the predator calls, I have used the I-Pod with external speakers to call wild birds in close to photograph them. There is a company in Atlanta that sells the bird calls and many wildlife photographers are using them to lure birds within range to photograph. Small and compact they work really well.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

First you need one of these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=380470
It's VERY loud and pretty clear.

Then you need to go here:
http://www.mscustomcalls.com/MP3.html
Matt has some of the best free sounds. Better than Varmint All's IMO.

LK
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I can't add to the great advice you have already gotten. I have used an MP3 player in the past and it is a great may to have lots of sounds on hand. As said go to Varmint Al's http://www.varmintal.com he has done all the hard work of putting together play lists that are outstanding. Down load them all to your computer and enjoy the results.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Just for the record you might be more specific as to what you have. An Ipod is made by Apple and has to be loaded with their stuff, so far. they have talked about making them so any MP3 file can be down loaded but I don't think that's happened yet.

What we're really talking about here is an MP3 player. Just so you don't download files you can't use.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

The Ipod software on your computer should convert MP3 into MP4 format which is what Apple uses.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

Thanks gents. The material at the predator call sites inc Varmint Al's is amazing.

All I need now is a suitable speaker then watch out foxes.