Breaking in my new Model 53 (photo)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Breaking in my new Model 53 (photo)

Post by KirkD »

I put the final touches on a PowerPoint file that I had to email somebody, attached it to an email and hit the 'Send' icon. My internet access is a wireless one that comes off the top of a feed mill about 5 miles away ..... it's not slow, but it's not fast either, so I figured it was time to take a break while it uploaded. I stood up and took a look out the window at the alfalfa field down by the river.

By cracky! There were two Woodchucks down by the alfalfa field. Earlier today, I had counted at least four of them and probably there is up to seven, judging by all the fresh holes and dirt piles drilled into my field .... the Groundhog crop this year is the best yet. At lunch time earlier, I had time to load up only two rounds, 9 grains of IMR 4227 under a Magma cast 115 grain bullet sent to me by JerryB to try out. That load gave me 1,149 fps with an E.S. of 74 fps and a S.D. of 30 fps; at the range a week or so ago, the five shots I had loaded up with this recipe had gone into 2 & 3/16" at 100 yards. I figured this load is a keeper, and I've ordered the mould.

I grabbed my 'new' Winchester Model 53 chambered in 32 W.C.F., more commonly known as 32-20 and fed my two rounds into the magazine. This rifle had been serialized in Winchester's Polishing Room on April 19, 1926, 84 years ago last week. It is in superb condition and I doubt it has ever worked a day in its life. Time to change that. As I headed out the door, I levered in a round and lowered the hammer to half-cock. The first fellow saw me coming over 100 yards away, but there was some scrub and a clump of three Burr Oaks between me and the second Groundhog. When I came clear of the scrub, there was Woodchuck number two, with just his head and shoulders visible. He was right on his hole and he had spotted me. It was a free standing, offhand shot of 28 yards. My five shot group at 100 yards showed that the sights shot 1 & 1/2" to the right at 100 yards and I hadn't had time to adjust them yet, so I slid the top of the bead over to the right about 1/2" or so and touched off the little rifle. There was a solid thump and I knew the vintage rifle had started earning its keep. Photo is below ....

Last edited by KirkD on Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Breaking in my new Model 53 (photo)

Post by gamekeeper »

That's one nice looking old/new rifle.. Congratulations.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Oh YEEAH!!
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Fun gun!!!
"That'll Be The Day"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[My five shot group at 100 yards showed that the sights shot 1 & 1/2" to the right at 100 yards and I hadn't had time to adjust them yet, so I slid the top of the bead over to the right about 1/2" or so and touched off the little rifle. There was a solid thump and I knew the vintage rifle had started earning its keep.]

And, here, I thought Kentucky was in the USofA, and not the GWN (Great White North) ! ;)

Nice use of OUR Kentucky windage, there, Kirk ! :mrgreen:

DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

This is a great report, and a truly beautiful rifle. Glad you're giving her some use. - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Jealousy reigns supreme... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Kentucky Windage works everywhere...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good job, Kirk. The last Marmot I shot on my place was with an old Stevens in 22LR. I've got to get some rounds worked up for my 53.
Old Law Dawg
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

It is a great report KD, escaping for a break like that is allways fantastic ain't it. Well done you :D

One hell of an efficient load you have there!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent way to spend download time!!! 8)
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Real proud for you Kirk, I am glad to see that bullet earn it's keep. Beautiful little rifle, you should do well with the groundhog control program this year. They do fry up good too, also bake one of them, bone it out and add some BBQ sauce for a great sandwich.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Kirk I wish you would have never started this post. For some reason I can not seem to get a Model 65(Browning) in 218 Bee out of my mind. I have even rearranged some funds so that I can purchase it when I find the right deal. Please do not post any more. I have been thinking about one in a Bee or 25-20 or 32-20 for a long time. But you put me over the edge!! :P :D Tom.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

HEAD0001 wrote:Kirk I wish you would have never started this post. For some reason I can not seem to get a Model 65(Browning) in 218 Bee out of my mind. I have even rearranged some funds so that I can purchase it when I find the right deal. Please do not post any more. I have been thinking about one in a Bee or 25-20 or 32-20 for a long time. But you put me over the edge!! :P :D Tom.
Those Browning Model 65's are absolutely gorgeous. You need to get one. Of course, you might also be interested in the just plumb amazing Browning Model 53 32-20.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Kirk I have never seen one in 32-20. But I sure would like to find a good deal on one. I think I would buy it in a minute. I have seen a bunch of Browning's in 218, and I screwed up and passed up a real good deal. I have seen them with plain Jane wood and a couple that were gorgeous. I guess they made them in different grades. I really do not know what a great price would be. But if I found one I sure would find out.

I have been looking for a raccoon calling rifle. And I think a 32-20 or a 25-20 would make a great cartridge choice. With a good cast bullet I think those two cartridges would make a great rifle to save the pelts. I also think I could come up with a good load with the 218 Bee. Of course I would also like a Marlin 1894 in one of those cartridges. But those prices have went nuts. But then all the ones I see at the high prices are still for sale. Tom.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Tom, if you're not familiar with the Browning Model 53 32-20, then you need to see one. They are even nicer than the Browning Model 65's. Here is one up for auction right now http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =165602923
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Just a forewarning on anyone that's looking to get one of the Browning 53's. If you don't like the epoxy finish be careful taking it off. The wood was really nice looking on the one I bought, but I didn't care for the epoxy. I used JAFCO stripper to remove it and found the burled areas of the wood had huge cracks in it that the epoxy filled. I didn't see that before I did the removal, but I sure saw them afterwards. I now have low spots were the stripper removed the filling epoxy. I just stopped and started Tru-oiling the piece. Looks okay from a distance, but up close is a different matter. Too late for me. Beautiful little rifles though.
Old Law Dawg
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

What a great little rifle! Nice job on the hog too. 8)
NRA Life Member
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Great Job Kirk. I'm sure it must have been many of Your posts several years ago that convinced Me to get a 32-20. I have a Marlin and a Ruger Blackhawk. what a great cartdrige it is. Thanks for shareing over the years.