OT, sorry not a levergun, season's first 'yote

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

OT, sorry not a levergun, season's first 'yote

Post by nemhed »

I know this isn't a levergun, but I was pretty stoked about my first coyote this season. I got set about 5:00pm, it was 10 degrees, with about a 10mph breeze. She came in after about 10 minutes of calling, she ended up being fatally distracted by my homemade feather decoy.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Nice going, Nemhed! What's that rifle I barely can make out in your photo? Real good camo job! How far was your shot? Where did you punch him? Facts, facts and more facts needed...or lies too!
Last edited by mod71alaska on Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Great job, what sound did you use to call her? Electronic or Diaphram?
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Well, we'll give you this one with that fancy pants rifle, but next time....... :P
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

The rifle is a Savage Model 10FP in 223 that I camoed myself. The shot was about 90 yards, because I got impatient, she acted like she would come right into my lap. The call used was a Skeery medium range cottontail distress, followed up with a rodent squeaker to keep her coming once she was in sight. I hit her right in the chest when she stopped, facing me. I made a simple decoy out of a camo aluminum arrow with the fletching removed and a string with several five inch white feathers tied to the top, just stick it in the ground and a slight breeze does the rest.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I thought that looked like the Savage. I have been thinking of getting one in the .223 or a 22-250. They seem to be an excellent value.
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Congrats! I've been huntin' those dogs, but no luck yet.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Nice job....just curious but what do you do with it now?

Over the years my buddy & I have sold the pelts here and there.....a couple of local taxidermists take them in and give me credit twoards future projects but they can only use a couple a year.

There is a soceity of fly fisherman here that my next door neighbor belongs to...they will usually buy three or four a year and use them for flys. They prefer the heavy winter coated animals obviously.

And we buthcer up the meat as best as we can and put it through a grinder, freeze it and sell it to a guy that raises sled dogs....he frys it up and puts it in with his dogs regular feed in the winter.

We've also given some to a guy that hunts black bears.....he uses them for bait.

Thinning out the coyote population is worthwhile in of itself but I hate to see anything just killed and left for waste. It seems sinful to me in a way.

Though as Josie Wales says 'Worms gotta eat the same as buzzards'.

Wm
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Cool, kinder remind me of me only with thier little cousins. Congrats :D
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I heard some singing last night, and may do some calling tonite. Thanks for the impetus!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

WM, I skin them and sell the hides, I've tanned a couple myself to keep or give to people. I also like to boil the heads down for skull mounts that I give to people that are interested in such things. That's a good idea feeding the butchered meat to the dogs. I might see if my outside dogs will be interested in chowing on their cousins.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Nice yote. Those Savage 10's make great varmint guns. I have a Stevens 200 in .223 at my folks house that I need to pick up the next time on leave. What paint did you use on yours I have used the Krylon fusion on synthetic stocks but not on steel. I was planning on doing the same thing to mine when I pick it up and wanted to see what worked for others.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

JReed, I used the Krylon Fusion on the whole thing. BTW, my buddy just bought one of those Stevens 200 last week at a gun show in Indy, seemed like a heck of a deal, I'm anxious to see how it shoots.
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

How is the Krylon Fusion holding up? I am looking at doing up a Mosin-Nagant I have been playing with, and was trying to decide between the Krylon and the Duracoat, so it would be nice to hear some first hand on the Krylon.

--Carl
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Carl
I just painted this rifle last summer. So far so good. What put me off on the Duracoat was the cost of the paint, plus shipping, plus an airbrush to do it with. Since this was my first try at camoing a rifle, I decided to go cheap and try out the Fusion. Besides, touch up is only a spray can away. Others on various websites claim to have used the Fusion with good results. As a two part epoxy, I would be very surprised if the Duracoat wasn't more durable.
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

Thanks, I figured the duracoat would be better, but on a $90 rifle, the cost of 4 colors of Duracoat would equal the cost of the rifle. This will be the first camo job on a rifle for me too. This has been a play rifle for me, chopped the bbl, re-crowned, cut the bolt and forged a new one and re-welded, etc. So a camo job is just more of the learning.

Has the Krylon done well on the metal? Did you strip first, or just de-grease and paint over the blue?

Probably have to try it, cost is right to give it a go.

--Carl
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

Carl,
My Savage has some kind off rough oxide coating that isn't the most protective finish in the world, so I wasn't hurting anything by covering it up. I just disassembled the rifle and degreased everything with acetone. I masked off the trigger,end of barrel, and interior of the receiver and started painting. The Fusion seems to have good adhesion the metal. The old "Ruskee" rifle sounds like a good project. Post a picture when you get it done.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I used the Fusion on the stock and it has held up well even with being drug threw thick nasty brush. Like you said touch up is a spray can away. I will have to try it when I get the Stevens home.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Marlin .35
Levergunner 2.0

OT camo stock

Post by Marlin .35 »

Real nice looking camo job! I recently purchased a Mossberg ATR 100
with the camo stock. Put a camo sling on it and topped it with a Simmions 4X16 Boresighter Scope. It is in 30-06... I want to reach out there!! Art
Dead Calm is alive and well!!!!!!!
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

Well, the price is right, think I will get 4 cans and see what I can do with it. Good to hear about the metal prep, should be easy, and this bbl has some tooth from manufacture.

--Carl
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

JReed,
I really liked your recent post with photos of your Enfields. I got a No. 4 Mk I that isn't even worth shooting, I like to rebarrel it.. I may be able to buy a couple from my father-in law soon because he's going to thin his collection of military rifles, I've always wanted a sporterized No. 4 for a knock-about rifle, but with the prices of a decent Enfield, I'd be better off buying one of those Stevens in .308
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

They are great rifles aren't they. I have been half heartedly looking for one in need of a new bbl. Been thinking it would be fun to throw a octagonal 45-70bbl on one. Kind of a bolt action buffalo rifle. Yeah good enfields are going up in price that is why I got the ATI stock for mine so as not to beat up the wood pluss it really cut the weight.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis