need front sight fix

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

need front sight fix

Post by JNG »

Though it is not not a front sight for a levergun a sight is a sight.

While trying to get in line to shoot some fast movers (ducks) at a icey creek, I slipped on a ice covered rock. My shotgun and I went went down hard. (I should change my login to Grace) Both I and the gun lived, though the front sight, a white bead broke off. I've tried using a screw driver to remove it but it will not budge. Any suggestions on how to get her out?
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Yea, that sucks.---If your bead is the screw in type, the easiest way is to get a "reverse" drill bit that is the diameter of the shank, so you don't mess up the threads. You have to center it up real good and just a little pressure on the drill (and very slow speed) should screw it out of the barrel.

If your bead was of the "slip-in" type, with no threads, just get a drill bit of the same size as the "hole" you see and drill it out. Be careful, as some shanks go all the way through the barrel and some don't.

As for replacement beads and drill bits, check out Brownells----------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When you get it out, if you're interested in a high-visibility, fiber-optic bead, WallyWorld sells this Hi-Viz Spark II front sight (in green) in a blister pac with four sized different screw bottoms to fit any gun's threads for $7.

http://www.hivizsights.com/Shotgun-Spar ... P40C1.aspx
JNG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JNG »

It is a screw in type. It's on a Browning Gold, the barrel is scrapped but not dented. I would like to keep the white dot, but a hi-vis sight is always possible. Thanks for your help.