Beginning to get sick over the Taylor's & Company rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Beginning to get sick over the Taylor's & Company rifle

Post by COSteve »

fatoldfool wrote:He was also told to expect something extra in the box to make up for all the problems....We will see.
Just pray it isn't another returned Chiappa!!
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

COSteve wrote:
fatoldfool wrote:He was also told to expect something extra in the box to make up for all the problems....We will see.
Just pray it isn't another returned Chiappa!!
I'll bet it's a FREE HAT!!! yayyyy! (extreme sarcasm here)

Ed
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Kansas Ed wrote: I'll bet it's a FREE HAT!!! yayyyy! (extreme sarcasm here)

Ed

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NRA Life Member
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

YOU GUYS WERE WRONG! THERE WASN'T EVEN A HAT. So the "I will see there is something extra in the box to make up for all the troubles" was just another lie. :evil: You know, they could have kept that promise and I would have felt like they really cared about a customer. As it is, I know they DO NOT. :x 5 months to repair a rifle costing near a grand... ADIOS CHIAPPA........
But at least the rifle was delivered today. The action is a bit smoother. It won't chamber the old fired cases. So MAYBE I now will have a functioning rifle. Except every time I look at it, I will get mad.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Unbelievable!!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I agree this is as much if not much more on Taylor's. This should have been resolved *by them* week one. An absolute PR/CS no brainer. Instead, it's just the opposite result. Stupid, really stupid.
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

To BE FAIR we received an email this morning from Susanna Chiappa stating another apology, that the rifle was shipped without her knowledge so "something" would be shipped to our door to make us feel better about the problems, AND a statement that THE PROBLEMS EXPERIENCED WITH THIS REPAIR WOULD RESULT IN CHANGES FOR THE BETTER TO THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I sincerely hope this is true.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

fatoldfool wrote:To BE FAIR we received an email this morning from Susanna Chiappa stating another apology, that the rifle was shipped without her knowledge so "something" would be shipped to our door to make us feel better about the problems, AND a statement that THE PROBLEMS EXPERIENCED WITH THIS REPAIR WOULD RESULT IN CHANGES FOR THE BETTER TO THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE. I sincerely hope this is true.
Heck, at this point even if that 'something' turned out to be a sister rifle I'd be like you; every time I looked at it I'd be reminded of that problems.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

fatoldfool wrote:I am really confused. I know it can't be a .44 mag. (that is what I get for jumping to conclusions)...I know better.
at one time taylors/chiappi had cataloged a 44 mag in that rifle, and i had one on order but never got it. some distributors still have a 44 mag listed as available.
cable
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Another disappointment...Got the Chiappa 92 back tonight. Big screwdriver scratch extending from the cap screws up onto the barrel ON EACH SIDE of the new barrel. :evil: What kind of "gunsmiths" do they employ at Chiappa in Ohio???? And the forearm now has 1/16 of play back and forth and makes an audible "snap" when it moves. Tomorrow I will target it and it had better shoot really well or it is GONE.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Unbelievable. :roll: What a bunch of clowns.
NRA Life Member
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

FOF:

I've been following this thread and "I feel your pain". Went through pretty much the same thing for over a year with the Charter 2000 a-holes.

Shipped a long barreled '76 Centennial .45-75 back because of a grossly off center chamber and received a short barreled one in return in about a month. Went back and forth with e-mails and phone calls and listening to excuses about production in Italy until I was sick.

Finally got burned out and sold the short barreled one and replaced it with a Cimarron Uberti.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yance, I'd like to hear about your Cimarron Uberti.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Yance
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Yance »

Hobie;

It actually belongs to my BPCR shootin' buddy. I've been the "middleman", "negotiator", BANK!, etc for nearly all his gun related dealings for the past three years or so.

We finally got to shoot the Cimm after the last match of 2009, and then only 50 rounds. Haven't had the chance to bench it yet, too much else going on besides the beautiful Winter weather we had.

He also has a Winchester Creedmore High Wall .45-90 that we have yet to shoot. Maybe since the weather seems to have turned we can make it to the range. I'll then have a report on both rifles.
Yance

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".

outawaysforge.wordpress.com

"Gun control" isn't about guns, it's about "control".
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Range Report; scared me, I shot lead cowboy loads and got 12 inch group at 25 yds...NO BS! Then I fired the Winchester factory 200gr into 1 5/8" at 25 with a slightly wobbly Marbles tang sight. I do have trouble with the design of the front sight and it will have to be replaced for me to shoot better groups. So I suppose I will keep it, screwdriver buggers and all. Any suggestions on a cast bullet load that might group as good as the jacketed loads??
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

First thing to do is slug that new barrel and see what size cast bullet it needs.
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

TedH wrote:First thing to do is slug that new barrel and see what size cast bullet it needs.
YEP
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I think this thread deserves a sticky so no one here even THINKS about buying a Chiappa until they send you a nice new rifle. :evil: :evil: :evil: I'm not kidding.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

+1 on the sticky, especially if that'll get Chiappa (and Taylor) to take notice and make major amends. I'm one of those who'd like to see them succeed, "get it right"--both PR and technical--as cosmetically their 92s are a gem and (in that department at least) the closest thing to the originals we've seen since, well, 1941 (the limited pre-safety Browning runs aside).
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

I like to hear both sides of any story. That's just me. :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

I don't want it made a sticky, and I don't want to ruin their business. But they need to improve their quality control (maybe they already have?) and they sure need to improve their customer service in Ohio.
Both sides of the story?? pretty much told all the way...bad chamber/barrel in a rifle costing close to a grand. Repaired at no charge to me, 5 months to repair it (Way too long, in my opinion), and two nasty screwdriver scratches that shouldn't be there when it was returned. Numerous apologies by Taylor's and Chiappa, including apologies from a Chiappa owner. As stated before, I love the balance and feel of the rifle. I am NOt the customer from hell that cannot be pleased. Having been in business twice I know how a customer should be treated.
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

In hindsight, wonder how Cimarron would've handled this same crisis? I've had pretty good luck with them, but admittedly based on limited "opportunity." I do know they have a better 92 caliber selection (adding .44 Mag etc). There's still the manufacturer's (Chiappa) response, which of course is a critical/core component. I'm with the comment of not wanting anyone to go out of business here, just make it right, improve mfgr and PR processes, and move it on and succeed greatly in building us good levers 'n such. What an ordeal though.
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

fatoldfool wrote:I don't want it made a sticky, and I don't want to ruin their business. But they need to improve their quality control (maybe they already have?) and they sure need to improve their customer service in Ohio.
Both sides of the story?? pretty much told all the way...bad chamber/barrel in a rifle costing close to a grand. Repaired at no charge to me, 5 months to repair it (Way too long, in my opinion), and two nasty screwdriver scratches that shouldn't be there when it was returned. Numerous apologies by Taylor's and Chiappa, including apologies from a Chiappa owner. As stated before, I love the balance and feel of the rifle. I am NOt the customer from hell that cannot be pleased. Having been in business twice I know how a customer should be treated.
I understand your frustration completely. I suspect it is shared by both Taylors and Chiappa. Neither of them wants unhappy customers. Both Taylors and Chiappa are working hard to bring some really nice lever stuff to the market. The ladies that run Taylors are good people, and try hard to be responsive to shooter's needs.

I hope your rifle works out for you. :) I have one of their TD 92s, and it is a beautifully done rifle - well, except for that front sight! :D
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

I do share your opinion on that front sight, and it will be change as soon as I have some change.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

FoF, your a nice guy but I don't think you should have to suffer for this. The firearms industry is unique in that they are honorable and always seem to take care of their customers (us) where warrenty work is concerned. When I think about all the many great stories that have been posted on this board about the excellent customer service that most have received from firearms companies, Taylor's and Chiappa's response to your situation is COMPLETELY out of step with what the rest of the industry would do for you. :evil:

I find it surprising that Taylor's is run by women as stated above. Regardless, there is no reason, none, that they couldn't have sent you a new rifle. Taurus is not known for the greatest customer service either but they once replaced my revolver rather than repair it. It can be done. You would be out the money to register the new rifle and paperwork fees, but you would have had a new gun months before!

When you compare Taylor's and Chiappa's response to the rest of the industry, they deserve a huge F on their report card. If you talk to them again, please tell them that no matter what wonderful new products they are trying to bring to market that there is at least one guy who won't even consider buying from them until they improve their customer service.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

OK, Serious attempt by Chiappa to make this mess right. Per the company president, Chiappa is going to send me a Plinkerton free of charge to make up for all the problems. If they do this, I do consider that a huge effort, and it will certainly make me feel better about the whole thing. I have also been assured that my problems have been looked at and that will result in improved customer service.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Well now, at least they seem to be making an effort. Let us know if it ever shows up.
NRA Life Member
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Yes, Fof, please let us know how this turns out. When it's all said and done.
Old Law Dawg
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

I really hate to rain on your parade with the Plinkerton. That is a good gesture for them to give you one. Be very careful when you first fire the Plinkerton. I have been through two of them now after about 150 rounds of regular 22 ammo. The tolerances on the lock up are so poor I blew the forcing cone out on both of them spraying lead right out the cylinder gap and pushing the barrel sleeve out about 1/4 in. Be careful. I did have good experiences with cs as they replaced both of them with new ones in about 6 weeks. I have not taken the new ones to the range yet to see if they have the same problem.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Oh great! Give him some more guns that need warrenty repair!!! Better be sure they hand pick yours!
-Tutt

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

If they send you a Plinkerton, I'll be impressed. It shows they really are trying to rebuild their customer confidence. Of course, I will also expect them to radically ramp up their quality control, which they have said they are doing. Time will tell. A reputation can be rebuilt, but it will take time to undo some of the bad PR that has come as a result of poor product quality. I really do hope they are successful.

As far as Chiappa being owned by women, I have no problem with that at all. In fact, I like that. There is an Italian shotgun company run by women and they seem to be doing very well http://www.faustiusa.com/company If the Chiappa women get their company and product in ship-shape condition, it will be good for them and it will be good for the image of the gun industry overall.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I don't mind the company is owned by women other than my personal experiences so far have been that the women hired by gun companies don't know very much about firearms. Why this is, I don't know as there are many competant woman shooters out there! Maybe there is a prejudice within the industry itself, I don't know. As long as the people in charge, of either gender, can talk intelligently about the subject of firearms and take care of the customer, I have no problem with who owns or runs a company. I work in an industry (public schools) that is dominated by women and my best Principal of all of my 5 schools is a women who I adore and my direct boss, the Director of Special Education, is also a wonderful lady and good friend! I hope that Chiappa can improve their quality control as well as they do have some products of interest to me. But as you mentioned, until they have demonstrated that they will take care of their customers as well as other gun companies do, living up to the industry standard that I think needs to be maintained, I will spend my money on firearms elsewhere.

-Tutt

fatoldfool
Levergunner 2.0

Post by fatoldfool »

Hey, they did it! They shipped me a free Plinkerton to make up for all the problems. I went down and picked it up this evening. It sure isn't pretty, but it has weight and feels surprising like a real Colt. (balance, not the feel of the grips!). So the lady, Susanna Chiappa keeps her word!
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Hey, that feels like the first good news you have posted on this thread! You certainly deserve it too! Keep us informed and send us some pics too!

-Tutt

KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Glad to hear it! A photo is in order.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/