Shot The New Remington 1911

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Shot The New Remington 1911

Post by Sixgun »

tonight. I walked in my buddies gunshop and he hands me this 1911 and a box of Remington 230 hardball and says, "go have some fun". As you may or may not know, Remington has not made a 1911 since 1945

Its a prototype from the factory, so I was not allowed to take pics. It looks, feels and handles like a standard government model, but it shoots like a Gold Cup. Real nice white dot sights--easy to see

7 yard groups were one holers--I put 17 shots in 2 and 1/2" @ 25 yd, (offhand--surprised me as I usually can't do that good off the bench) with 4 flyers that made it 4". These flyers were due to so-so inside lighting and that fact that I have been up since 5.

I hear its going to be priced affordable for the average guncrank :D

I'm hittin' the sack-----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
KentuckyLevrgunr
Levergunner

Re: Shot The New Remington 1911

Post by KentuckyLevrgunr »

Now how can you go and post something like that then just hit the sack?! Is this a pretty standard 1911 similar to the Springfield GI 45, or is it more modern like a Springfield Loaded?
There's two kinds of lever action rifles - those designed by J.M. Browning, and those that are inferior.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

KentuckyLevrgunr wrote:Now how can you go and post something like that then just hit the sack?! Is this a pretty standard 1911 similar to the Springfield GI 45, or is it more modern like a Springfield Loaded?
Its just like a standard GM. The only difference between this gun and a GM were the sights. Stocks were checkered wood, matt blue finish. Also, the lettering on the slide was a bit large for my liking. That may change with production models.

It was nothing special--just a "meat and potatos" kind of gun.---------Sixgun
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Sixgun wrote:As you may or may not know, Remington has not made a 1911 since 1945

Sixgun
Actually Remington hasn't made a 1911 since 1919. Remington Rand that made the 1911A1 in WWII was a typewriter company and different from Remington UMC.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Cool :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Sixgun....do you have a link for the pistol...I have searched the net and cannot find anything about it....appreciate your post...

rick
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Sixgun wrote: It was nothing special--just a "meat and potatos" kind of gun.---------Sixgun
Nice. If they price it comparable to the imports (RIA, etc) and preferably below the Springfields, I may have to bite when the opportunity arises.

Thanks for being an enabler to us 1911 aficionados... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

jumbeaux wrote:Sixgun....do you have a link for the pistol...I have searched the net and cannot find anything about it....appreciate your post...

rick
Rick,
Ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! No link. The gun is a prototype with a funny serial number. I really don't even think I'm supposed to be talking about it. At least thats what my buddy gunshop owner told me. (He's pals with the Remington people) He knows I have "diarrhea mouth" and I just could not contain myself. :D

The way I see it, its free advertisement for Remington. (and fun for me :D )

As I get more info, I'll keep you boys posted-----------------Sixgun
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

awp101 wrote: Nice. If they price it comparable to the imports (RIA, etc) and preferably below the Springfields, I may have to bite when the opportunity arises.
Your right on the money! (no pun intended :D ) At least thats what I was told. In my estimation, the looks and finish is about one step above a Springfield military model (1911A1 with the parkerizing) but its not parkerized--has kind of a black matt finish---------Sixgun
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Are they planning stainless versions? I relish stainless steel guns.

Grizz
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Grizz wrote:Are they planning stainless versions? I relish stainless steel guns.

Grizz
Grizz,
I don't know. I'm just a peon with a buddy who has the connections.

Stainless guns sure are practical, they just never bit me. To me, there's nothing like blued steel and wood :D
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sounds like a winner - thanks for the quick report Sixgun! :D
Big Bore 94
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Big Bore 94 »

Will it feed hollowpoints :?:
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

JB wrote:
Sixgun wrote:As you may or may not know, Remington has not made a 1911 since 1945

Sixgun
Actually Remington hasn't made a 1911 since 1919. Remington Rand that made the 1911A1 in WWII was a typewriter company and different from Remington UMC.
Yeah the last auto was the model 51 which realistically ended before 1930 although 1 was made in 1934. I don't remember anything after that but the XBR which is but a very short rifle :D

I wish they (or whoever screwed it up I don't know) would have continued with the second generation plan for 1875's 1890's etc. I love my 1890! I guess however this isn't really the type of project that brings lots of sales (and profit) like a 1911.
Motex66
Levergunner

Post by Motex66 »

Well I'm happy to hear about Remington "making a 1911" just where will it be made in the new plant with the Marlins? There is also a rummer of Ruger making one. They made an AR type so who knows. Always happy to see new guns made in designs I like. Would like them made in the USA.
John
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

New as in different plant.

Marlin, Harrington and Richardson, New England Firearms and L.C. Smith -- all Marlin brands -- are destined for absorption into Remington's existing manufacturing facilities in Ilion, New York
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Confirmed:

They are currently shooting prototypes and should settle on the final version soon.

However if someone has brought one of these out of the restricted area if they still have a job they might get a knock on the door or it might be hitting them on their way out.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Well it's out.
http://1911r1.com/

But note on the bottom Remington has been contracted by E-RPC, LLC to manufacture products.

Who in the begizis is that?
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Read a review in Shooting Times. I think it was the cover story....
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Cast Bullet Hunter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cast Bullet Hunter »

JB wrote:

Sixgun
Actually, the other poster is correct. E. Remington purchased another company which manufactured typewriters in the late 1860s or so becoming Remington Typewriter. In 1927 they merged with the Rand Kardex Company and became Remington-Rand. So, there is a direct lineage between the two companies. If you doubt this go to Wikiedia and search Remington-Rand. A little abbreviated, but there still was a connection.

Between this and the links within it yiou will learn more than you ever wanted to know.
Steelbanger
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Steelbanger »

Got this from Remington yesterday.

After nearly a century, Remington returns to its rightful place as the manufacturer of one of America's most revered handguns; the 1911. From the moment you wrap your hand around it's double diamond grips and lay your finger on the polished aluminium of the telltale short trigger, you'll know first-hand why the 1911 has such a devoted following. And modern enhancements make the best even better. The 1911 R1 features a flared and lowered ejection port; beveled magazine well; loaded chamber indicator; high profile dovetailed single-dot front and two-dot rear sights; a crisp 3.5 - 5 pound trigger pull; and a match grade stainless steel barrel and barrel bushing. It also has the Series 80-style firing pin block safety.

The Remington 1911 R1 is hand-crafted and shipped from Ilion, New York-- the birthplace of Remington Arms-complete with a custom carry case, two seven-round magazines and a barrel bushing wrench. So you can be assured of all the pride, precision and out-of-the-box performance you've come to expect from the Remington branded products.

For more information on this once-in-a-lifetime sidearm, visit the all new 1911 R1 website- www.1911r1.com.
a87138ee-0.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He who has gone, so we but cherish his memory, abides with us, more potent, nay, more present, than the living man."
Antoine de Saint-Expuéry

Steelbanger, N.R.A. Life
PRPA Member
Marlin - a hard habit to break.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I've asked but I'm guessing E-RPC, LLC is E. Remington Production Company and importantly LLC looks like a CYA front company to protect them from any liabilities.
KCSO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by KCSO »

I wonder if it will be a REMINGTON or another 798 style import. Although I can't complan about the quality of the RIA guns.