Winchester Mdl. 1892 Century Arms?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Phideaux
Levergunner

Winchester Mdl. 1892 Century Arms?

Post by Phideaux »

Hi Folks, long time lurker here but now I have a question maybe someone can help with. I recently acquired a Winchester Mdl. 1892 in 40 WCF and the serial number would say it was made about 1918. When cleaning up the gun I noticed, on the receiver under the lever, its stamped Century Arms St. Albans, VT. I'm familiar with Century Arms military rifle imports but not with these lever guns. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Phideaux
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Winchester Mdl. 1892 Century Arms?

Post by Griff »

Welcome to the site. I don't know the answer to your question... hopefully, someone will be along shortly that does! BTW, as a "longtime lurker" you probably know:

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Phideaux wrote:Hi Folks, long time lurker here but now I have a question maybe someone can help with. I recently acquired a Winchester Mdl. 1892 in 40 WCF and the serial number would say it was made about 1918. When cleaning up the gun I noticed, on the receiver under the lever, its stamped Century Arms St. Albans, VT. I'm familiar with Century Arms military rifle imports but not with these lever guns. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Phideaux
Do you mean .44 WCF?

I'm betting that it was a gun exported and re-imported by Century Arms, hence the stamp. Century has re-imported a number of firearms of different makes and models. No mystery there except where it was while outside the country.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Phideaux
Levergunner

Post by Phideaux »

Yeah Hobie, thats my typo, it's a 44 WCF. That was my assumption also that it was re-imported by Century. Just wondered if that was common or ? Anyway wonder where it could have been.

Thanks,
Phideaux
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Century arms is not know for quick responses but a letter to them with a description of your rifle and the serial number may bring a response from them as to where they imported the rifle from.
ED
Yer never too old
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

don't know the answer to your mystery.

i like your screen name, though. are you a creole puppy? :lol:

welcome home, by the way. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

a Century Arms executive is/was a member of my gun club. Seems like I remember a conversation up at the range one day a few years ago when he said that Century had re-imported a bunch of 92's. For reasons I can't remember, they were unable to put them on the market at that time. I'd completely forgotten about all of this until this thread started. Apparently they had been originally acquired by some foreign agency--I can't even remember the country, but there had been a problem re-importing them, so they had been warehoused. I remember him saying that they were 44-40's. This sounds like perhaps one of those guns.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

A literal TON of winchester '92s were sent to England, under the Lend-Lease program, for use by the British Home Guard. My guess is that this rifle was among that buch.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Buck Elliott wrote:A literal TON of Winchester '92s were sent to England, under the Lend-Lease program, for use by the British Home Guard. My guess is that this rifle was among that bunch.
That was my thought but... I don't know. Did they prove those guns? It should have British proof marks on it then...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Phideaux
Levergunner

Post by Phideaux »

Many thanks for the replies. I don't see anything that looks like British proof marks or any other proof marks, except for the original Winchester proofs.

Phideaux
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

While it wouldn't have British "proof" marks I supposed it might have Brittish acceptance stamps of some sort if it were a lend/lease item. And weren't those also marked "Property of the United States" as well? I dunno. All I do know is that it was out of country and was re-imported so according to current U.S. law it had to be defaced. Absolutely grinds my gears how stupid this import stamp garbage is. :evil:

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It "could" be (fun, heh ?) that the gun was one of many that were sent to England, but not accepted, and so warehoused for the duration (sic), until Century boughten the batch - The Brits wouldn't prove something they weren't goint to accept, or something in limbo.

Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Spain...they came from Spain, their police force was armed with them. For some reason Spain moth ball'd the original Winchester 92's for their on '92 copies starting right after Franco took over.
Lawyer Daggit
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Lawyer Daggit »

I did not think Lend Lease gear could ever be reimported into the US. It was a condition of sale to protect the US economy against a flood of x-mil gear.

I recall seeing photos of trucks and aircraft being rolled off the deck of carriers in the Pacific to meet contractual obligations.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Lawyer Daggit wrote:I did not think Lend Lease gear could ever be reimported into the US. It was a condition of sale to protect the US economy against a flood of x-mil gear.

I recall seeing photos of trucks and aircraft being rolled off the deck of carriers in the Pacific to meet contractual obligations.
So, that is the reason my Uncle took pictures of him and his crew bulldozing into a lake piles, upon piles of US small arms that were returned by Allies after WWII. He took some very interesting pictures of Thompson sub-machine guns, M-1 Garands, 1903-A3s, BAR's, and M-1 Carbines being either buried or dumped into a lake in occupied Germany after the war. He said they even dumped Jeeps in there...guess we didn't have alot of greenies back then.
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Good morning And WELCOME about !
Lend Lease-- 200+ Corsair F4U fighters and unknown number of TBF Torpedo planes were pushed overboard from British aircraft carriers after the end of the Pacific War.
Remember the Savage built 303´s , I have one... they are marked U. S. Property.
But back to the 1892 44-40.. before you try shooting it do a Throat Diameter check. Both mine measure .431+. Cast will shoot very nicely IF you load a .001+ oversize bullet. I only neck size my brass. 8 grain loads of Unique are very acurate. I use a soft lead mix and the impact at 50 yards is devastating on 100 pound plus critters.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.