Light loads for the .45-70

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cassog
Levergunner

Light loads for the .45-70

Post by cassog »

Hi,
I am a new member. I am looking for a fairly light target load (indoor range) for a .45-70. I read with interest one of Paco's articles, where he cites a couple of loads including 17g of 2400 and 5g of Bullseye. Given the various warnings out there about using low volumes of powder in high capacity cases, are these loads safe? The Bullseye load especially seems like an awfully insignificant amount. Has anyone out there tried these loads? And if so, are you using any kind of wad or filler to keep the powder in place?
Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Thees l'il thing? Ees for rabbits!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Light loads for the .45-70

Post by TedH »

I like 13 gr. of Unique for a light load with a 350 gr. cast bullet. Accurate 5744 is also good for reduced loads.
NRA Life Member
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

13 grains of Unique and any bullet. A 420 grainer is too much fun. Boom..............

........................CLANG!!!!!!! :mrgreen: Just thinking about the delay from trigger pull to clang makes me laugh.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Here's all the low velocity load data you could ever ask for. Just scroll down to the 45-70 section.

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

14 gr. Trail Boss under a 300-350 cast bullet is my favorite plinking load in the .444 and the .45-70. Super accurate and very low report and recoil. :D
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Chuck 100 yd wrote:14 gr. Trail Boss under a 300-350 cast bullet is my favorite plinking load in the .444 and the .45-70. Super accurate and very low report and recoil. :D
+1

0r 12gr Trail Boss with a 405gr bullet :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Tycer wrote:13 grains of Unique and any bullet. A 420 grainer is too much fun. Boom..............

........................CLANG!!!!!!! :mrgreen: Just thinking about the delay from trigger pull to clang makes me laugh.

Yeah, it's nice to have time to shoot, set the rifle down, pick up the binoculars and watch the bullet hit! :D

BTW, welcome aboard, cassog! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Tycer, do you use any filler (dacron, cream of wheat, etc.) with that load?
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Wes wrote:Tycer, do you use any filler (dacron, cream of wheat, etc.) with that load?
Nope, Unique is not position-sensitive.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

For indoor shooting, a .457" lead round ball and 8 gr. of Unique is almost perfect...if not perfect. Seat the ball flush with the case mouth and then put a little lube around the inside of the case mouth.

5 shots @ 50 ft. went into 3/8" with that recipe the last time I shot it. :mrgreen:

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
cassog
Levergunner

Post by cassog »

Wow! Thanks to everyone for the informative (and super quick responses).
I've got a tub of Unique lying around so I think I'll try out that 13g loading to start with.
I'd also like to try the load recommended by Borregos, but I'm not sure whether Trail Boss is readily available over here (UK).
Yes, guys I have to admit it - I am a Limey!
I'll check with my local dealer whether he can get some or not.

Tycer - you say that Unique is not position sensitive - do you (or anyone else) know which powders are?
Also, I would still like to hear from someone who has experience with using just the 5g of Bullseye.

I've got two .45-70's by the way - Both Pedersoli's. A Sharp's cavalry carbine, and a Rolling Block target model with Creedmore sights. Love 'em both!

Another recent acquisition is a Uberti 1873 Special Sporting with half-tube magazine in .45 Colt.
I am toying with the idea of using this in my Local Club's precision league - anyone have any good accurate .45 loads that would fit the bill?

Anyway, thanks for making an old Limey feel so welcome.

Cheers!
Thees l'il thing? Ees for rabbits!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Paco Kelly, the founder of this website, has reported that he killed a coyote at 50 yeards with a heart/lung shot using a 450 gr. pure lead bullet propelled by only 2 1/2 gr. of Bullseye in his .45-70. This is a silent load.

One would be well advised to start above that, double check that the rounds exits each time, and have a dowel on hand to unstick the barrel!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome to the fire! :D
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I have 2 rifles that shoot 1 hole groups with 11grs of Unique with a 425gr cast at 75 yards!

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson