OT Savage Edge Rifle

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

OT Savage Edge Rifle

Post by RustyJr »

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the new savage Edge rifles. They suggest it as a good entry level rifle. Im thinking about one in 223 for a truck/varmint rifle. Im mainly wondering about the accuracy of these rifles.

Thanks,
RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT Savage Edge Rifle

Post by awp101 »

This may help:
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/i ... 032.0.html

It appears they're using the same barrels they do for the "regular" Savage/Stevens line so that can't be bad.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/featured/

Interesting. I'm not in the market for a new bolt gun but I have to say that I like the Stevens and Savage rifles that I already have.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Dont know much about that one , but one of the Gun rags (Gun World i think) recently tested a Stevens in .243 and it was a pretty good shooter for the price (1.75 or 2" gun at 100 yards with most ammo ) -- not enough to make a benchrest buff happy, but good enough hunting accuracy for low coin --- unless its P-dogs your hunting - a 2 MOA rifle at 200 yards means a miss 1/2 the time :x
----- Doug
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Handled one today . The only drawback that I see is that it come in long action only. Which is over kill for a 223. I've been looking for a truckgun 223 for a while . I just don't come across used 223's very offen. Other than that ,hats off to Savage for making an affordable 223. Ruger and Remington don't make one for under $600.
Pricing 223 ammo it really isn't that cheap to shoot. So defineatly reloading. But calling around today I ran across a Stevens in 22-250 for $289. So maybe that is the way I should go.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

I haven't seen one of these rifles yet, but based on experience with other Savage/Stevens rifles I don't think I'd hesitate to get one. I've yet to come across one I would call pretty, and there's no question that their designs are aimed at low cost of manufacture, but they seem to be uniformly reliable and accurate. Any decent centerfire rifle in the range of around $300 piques my interest.
brno602
Levergunner 2.0

Post by brno602 »

Other than a .22 I have and that one is over 50years old I never owned a Savage except my beloved 99s( I have lot's of those) every savage bolt action I have got to see shoot, or shoot myself has always shot really good plus a 170 pump all shot great better than average, average being a Reminton around here. For the price you can't go wrong I am baised and really like Savage guns. Bring back the 99, Bring back the 99 I'am willing to pay around $800.00 for a new 99.Dam sorry I got off topic, Bring back the 99!
Of course this is just my opinion but all Savages shoot good they also should bring back the Indian head for marketing, No better hunter than a North American Indian.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BenT wrote:Handled one today . The only drawback that I see is that it come in long action only. Which is over kill for a 223. I've been looking for a truckgun 223 for a while . I just don't come across used 223's very offen. Other than that ,hats off to Savage for making an affordable 223. Ruger and Remington don't make one for under $600.
Looks like lots of .223's are "out of stock" these days - http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/adva ... st%5B0%5D=

Maybe people are 'stocking up'. . . :o :?
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Jr. ended up finding a Remington 700 he could order from these guys for just under $500.

http://www.onpointfirearms.com/

I've ordered a few things from him before. You can just cancel your membership with him after you're done.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
firefuzz
Senior Levergunner

Post by firefuzz »

BenT wrote:,hats off to Savage for making an affordable 223. Ruger and Remington don't make one for under $600.
Ain't that the truth. Remington needs to trash can that 710/770 abomination and bring back the ole 788. Ugliest rifle Remington ever made, and out of the box one of the most accurate. The fact that is was a short action only wouldn't be a problem, especially for a starter rifle or truck gun.

Rob
Proud to be Christian American and not ashamed of being white.

May your rifle always shoot straight, your mag never run dry, you always have one more round than you have adversaries, and your good mate always be there to watch your back.

Because I can!

Never grow a wishbone where a backbone ought to be.