Marlin 1894 Sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JerryP
Levergunner

Marlin 1894 Sights

Post by JerryP »

I just picked up a Marlin 1894 Cowboy. I was wondering if I want to replace the sights, what are my options? I am going to plink and hunt with it(Small game). It is a 357/38. Thanks.
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Re: Marlin 1894 Sights

Post by iceman »

Welcome to the fire. I like Williams receiver sights myself. Others will be by shortly with other options. I'm not sure if Skinner sights are available for your rifle but also VERY nice.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Jerry,

Welcome to the forum.

My 1894 Cowboy Comp in .45 Colt was not drilled or tapped for anything so it still wears the factory Marbles rear sight. However the .500" tall front sight was WAY too tall and that 3/32" bead was WAY too big. So it now wears a .360" tall Lyman sight with a 1/16" ( I think ) gold bead. Much better.

When I either get myself a drill press or find a competent gunsmith I'll have it drilled and tapped for a side mount receiver sight. Then it will get a Lyman 66LA rear and a Skinner post front sight.

Until then I can hit what I aim at with the factories.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Here's pics (halfway down the page, on the Link below) I posted of many of the sights you'll hear guys mention.

Link = http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20342

My favorite for FAST action is the Marble's Bullseye (small, short, version)
ImageImageImage
The Bullseye adjusts the same as the barrel-mounted open one it replaces, but is much faster to use, and blocks FAR less of the target than any other sight, including the original 'open' type. (see above link for more comments on the various sights)

My favorite for all-round use is the Williams FP (top FP-336, or side FP-94/36, mounted) with the aperture IN for sighting-in and removed for field use.
ImageImage
The Williams FP is much easier to fine-adjust than the Marble's Bullseye, but four times as expensive, and I generally use just one load so don't adjust my sights once I sight in. Having said that, the Williams "5D" is a much more annoying-to-adjust version of the "FP" but gives the same sight picture.

If your Marlin has side-holes on the left of the receiver (or if you want to drill and tap them) the "94/36" model will work, but if not, you can use the top scope mount holes for the "336" model. Most guys use the rear two holes, then gripe about the sight sticking out in the way of the hammer, but I mount them on the front two holes, and the gun carries more naturally, the sight seems less vulnerable, and my access to the hammer is better. It shoots just fine without that extra couple of inches of sight radius... :wink:

ImageImage

Of course, you can mount all kinds of sights on a .357 Marlin... :mrgreen:

...either when you first get it, to see what it can do at 100 yards without less-than-perfect sights being a factor...
(not bad for a pistol-caliber 'carbine' :wink: )

...or after you decided it made the ideal 'bump in the night' gun with low-flash .38 special loads
(we have coyotes in the goat pen and coons in the chicken yard, and wanted something you could actually use at night without the deafening noise and blinding flash of handguns, .223's, etc., and more power than a .22 LR). :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I have XS ghost rings on mine, but for your stated purpose.....Williams. Use the fire-sights fiberoptics.
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Hi, Jerry, welcome aboard!

I've got a Skinner receiver sight on my 1894SS and couldn't be happier. Perfect for me. I also tried the One Ragged Hole peep, which replaces the blade on the standard Marlin rear sight. I think its an excellent product, but it didn't work well with MY eyes.
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Harrington-Cook
Levergunner

Post by Harrington-Cook »

AJMD429 wrote:Here's pics (halfway down the page, on the Link below) I posted of many of the sights you'll hear guys mention.

Link = http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=20342

My favorite for FAST action is the Marble's Bullseye (small, short, version)
ImageImageImage
The Bullseye adjusts the same as the barrel-mounted open one it replaces, but is much faster to use, and blocks FAR less of the target than any other sight, including the original 'open' type. (see above link for more comments on the various sights)

My favorite for all-round use is the Williams FP (top FP-336, or side FP-94/36, mounted) with the aperture IN for sighting-in and removed for field use.
ImageImage
The Williams FP is much easier to fine-adjust than the Marble's Bullseye, but four times as expensive, and I generally use just one load so don't adjust my sights once I sight in. Having said that, the Williams "5D" is a much more annoying-to-adjust version of the "FP" but gives the same sight picture.

If your Marlin has side-holes on the left of the receiver (or if you want to drill and tap them) the "94/36" model will work, but if not, you can use the top scope mount holes for the "336" model. Most guys use the rear two holes, then gripe about the sight sticking out in the way of the hammer, but I mount them on the front two holes, and the gun carries more naturally, the sight seems less vulnerable, and my access to the hammer is better. It shoots just fine without that extra couple of inches of sight radius... :wink:

Hi AJMD429

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread - but does that Marbles Bullseye fit staright to the MArlin Cowboy without any 'smithing' - if you know what I mean & is it the short one I should order ?

Regards

Roy
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

The Bullseye fits standard US dovetails (i.e. the Marlin) - you'd need a thin shim or peening to get it on most Rossi's.

The one to order is usually called "short". I may have linked to it in the bigger post.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Harrington-Cook
Levergunner

Post by Harrington-Cook »

AJMD429 wrote:The Bullseye fits standard US dovetails (i.e. the Marlin) - you'd need a thin shim or peening to get it on most Rossi's.

The one to order is usually called "short". I may have linked to it in the bigger post.
Excellent - they will be going on two Marlin Cowboys both 24" - one a 357 & one a 44

I'll talk to the nice lady @ Brownells & see if she will post them to me here in the UK - as I am not over in the US until Thanksgiving

Thanks for the help

Roy
ceb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by ceb »

My preference is for a side mount Williams, but since Marlin quit D&T for those on the Cowboy, I went with the XS Ghost Ring sights on mine. I ordered it with a threaded aperture so I can use the Williams aperture inserts. The threaded aperture is a bit smaller than the standard Ghost ring that comes with the sight, but works well if you choose to not use one of the threaded Williams aperture. Best of both worlds in my opinion. I also like the post front with the white strip, quick to pick up in low light. Mounts using the D&T holes on the top of the receiver, very easy to do.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Just fitted a Lyman tang sight to my Marlin 94, it was for a 1895 or 336 but it fitted just fine, had to D & T a 10X32 hole in the tang to do it but that was no problem. It makes a real difference, I can actually get a sharp front sight now :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
JerryP
Levergunner

Post by JerryP »

Thanks for the warm welcome. Is it necessary to change out the front sight when I change the rear. Many good selections to pick from. Which one would be the easiest to install and adjust? Once again, thankyou. Jerry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For the Marble's Bullseye, I prefer a fiberoptic (i.e. "Firesight") front sight. There are narrow-base models that work on ramps, and wide-base models that work for direct-to-barrel dovetailing. All you really need to know is the height.

First, I'd mount the Marble's Bullseye, then set the ramp in the mid-position for elevation, and fire a group at the distance you prefer to be 'dead-on'. THEN figure out the front sight height to change to, if a change is needed.

To move your impact at "i" inches at "y" yards, you'll need to alter the height of your front sight "h" inches at "r" sight radius, where (i/y) = (h/(r*36)). Draw the geometry on a piece of paper to help it make sense.

It isn't 'exact' science, so an ordinary ruler will usually get you on-target, although a set of simple $25 calipers will do better. Once you know your 'new' sight has to be 0.23" higher or lower or whatever, you just need to measure you existing one, and find one close to that next size at MidwayUsa.com or Brownells.com.

For the Williams FP - I just leave the nice Marlin gold-bead on the front, usually.

If you run into a stall, post your questions...! 8)