1873 colt lever gun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
glcos
Levergunner

1873 colt lever gun

Post by glcos »

never know what you might run across in small gunshops and my friend and i ran across a 1873 colt leveraction in what appears to be a 45 cal. the gun is all there. has saddlering. am familiar with 1873 winchesters but never seen a colt lever gun. will be a mantle gun and have no plans to shoot but was wondering if anyone had any info on 1873 colt lever guns. serial# looks like 538. thanks gary
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: 1873 colt lever gun

Post by Griff »

Picture?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
glcos
Levergunner

Post by glcos »

have no picture. will try to get
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

A Colt Burgess? For a guy with 2 posts, we need to see pics :D --------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
glcos
Levergunner

Post by glcos »

my friend bought the gun and i do not have it here is the reason their is no pics.
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

Ten years early for a Colt Burgess.
Colt Burgess Rifle
Colt Mfg had only built 6,603 units from 1883-85 when production was suddenly discontinued.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

The Guns of the Old West talked about in another post had an article on the Colt Levergun....looks like a '73....rare !!!!

jumbeaux
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

jnyork wrote:Image

yup.
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Lefty Dude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lefty Dude »

Burgess was a designer for Winchester. He left Winchester for Colt. Not surprising that a Burgess/Colt is very close to a 73 Winny.

Would love to see Pix's of the piece.
SASS# 51223
Arizona Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.
Cowtown Cowboy Shooter's Assoc.

Uberti 73/44-40 carbine, Rossi 92/44-40,
Marlin 94CB/44 24" Limited, Winchester 94/30-30
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Look on GB. It could be a Colt Burgess. The 44-40 could be mistaken for a 45 caliber. If it is, either his friend stole it, or the seller didn't know what he had. BIG BUCKS!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Seems like I read something a long time ago that said Colt and Winchester arrived at an agreement that if Colt would refrain from making rifles, Winchester would stay out of the pistol business. Thus the cessation of Colt rifle production. Is this correct? :?:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

BIG bucks! :D
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

claybob86 wrote:Seems like I read something a long time ago that said Colt and Winchester arrived at an agreement that if Colt would refrain from making rifles, Winchester would stay out of the pistol business. Thus the cessation of Colt rifle production. Is this correct? :?:
Almost. The agreement was tacit.

When Colt started making the Burgess levergun, Winchester "fired a shot across Colt's bow" via having Colt's former Supt design a Winchester prototype revolver much like the Colt 1878.
After some "soul searching, Colt decided to abandon the levergun market", and instead introduced the Lightning pump rifles.

This back story is in the Colt Burgess article, in GOTOW, Spring 2010.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I also fascinated by how many of the famous people from that era knew each other. Andrew Burgess was apprenticed to Matthew Brady before he began firearms design work. The Colt Burgess is one of those guns that excite the antiquarian among us even if it is true that it was failure in the market.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

According to the GOTOW article, it didn't really "fail", as much as it was forced off the market by Winchester (those guys played hardball ! ) - although it had some shortcomings compared to it's competition.

For instance, shooters of the day put great store in the '73 Winchester's dust cover, which the Burgess lacked - and was the main source of customer complaints.
A non-issue, today IMHO.

The article brought up another good point, though.

The Burgess was an "instigation" model - the rifle that encouraged others, like John Marlin ( another former Colt employee) that they could compete with the "mighty" Winchester, and win.

RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Check out the video and commentary on the short history
of this firearm!
http://www.uberti.com/video/index.php
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
glcos
Levergunner

Post by glcos »

thanks for all the help. I think my buddy got a great levergun for a $100. dollar bill to hang over the fireplace.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

the early Marlin leverguns made liberal use of Burgess patents
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh, gosh, I'm remiss... Welcome to THE Forum. Yep, the Colt Burgess could be the one.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Hobie wrote:I also fascinated by how many of the famous people from that era knew each other. Andrew Burgess was apprenticed to Matthew Brady before he began firearms design work. The Colt Burgess is one of those guns that excite the antiquarian among us even if it is true that it was failure in the market.

It is very interesting. We think the world is small today but it wasn't real big then either. I'v read many times that when Win saw Colt making lever guns they threatened to start building revolvers and the result was they both kept doing what they did best, so I'm not sure if market failure is the right way to put it.

Not sure if Burgess actually worked for Win or Colt. He was a gun designer similar to John Browning & folks made guns from his patents as I understand it. Marlins first lever action, also the first sucessful lever action 45/70 was a Burgess design. Marlins current 39A locks up just like Marlins Burgess design. I'm not sure about the mechanics of the Colt gun but expect its very similar to a 1881 Marlin.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

My view is this, that with Colt's reputation and marketing savvy they only sold so many of the rifles and this market share was such that they thought they couldn't compete with Winchester revolvers (if you believe the story). I always wondered why they would think that if they would have difficulty breaking into the levergun market Winchester wouldn't have like problems breaking into the revolver market. I think they made the decision because they weren't getting orders sufficient to justify risking even a small part of the market share for revolvers. That is a failure in the market place. It has nothing to do with the quality of the firearm, it just didn't sell enough.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson