OT- Jim Cirillo's Guns, Bullets and Gun Fights.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

OT- Jim Cirillo's Guns, Bullets and Gun Fights.

Post by 336A »

I ordered this book last week from Amazon and all I can say is wow. The book is full of very good and and very practical information. Jim also tells of a few incidents that happened whle he was on the NYCPD elite Stake out Squad. I highly recommend this book to all.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Re: OT- Jim Cirillo's Guns, Bullets and Gun Fights.

Post by Malamute »

It is an excellent book.

After you're done reading it, forward your copy to anyone that feels that the 38 spl RNL load was "never questioned" as to effectiveness. Same for your copy of Sixguns by Keith. The list can go on. :D
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have his book somewhere, I remember reading it, several years ago. Good book. I remember reading that, when he was looking for recruits for his stakeouts, he decided that he liked for his men to be married men, because they were a little bit more careful, he thought, because they wanted to go home that night.

. And he also liked recruits to have experience shooting competitions such as IPSC, PPC, etc. And he was even happier if they were also hunters, as he thought the experiences made better gunfighters. He was also a handloader, and had an interest in handgun balistics, bullet preformance, etc.

It's ironic that people like him, who survived all of those gunfights, often end up dying in such things as common as traffic accidents, which he did. Does that make driving a car more dangerous then staking out a place for a robbery? Food for thought. :D

Peter Capstick, regardless of wheater you believed his stories or not, also died in a car wreck.

Maybe driving a car, in the eastern US is just too dangerous, to consider as a regular habit. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

You're right about traffic accidents. IMNSHO it is because people take driving for granted. If you hold a CCW you will become trained and go out and practice some. If you are a LEO you will practice ( we hope) on a somewhat regular basis and have to show your proficiency a few times a year or you can't work.
I'm a professional truck driver and we are constantly reminded to be safe. We are given in service classes to keep reminding us about things we should know or teach us things we don't. As an example, how many people know what the Smith System of Defensive Driving is? It is so key to survival it should be taught in drivers ed and be part of every driver's test in every state in the nation.
Back on topic, I know Jim was also producing some "safe" ammo that gave something like 2000 FPS + out of a 4" .357, or at least that's what they claimed.
I'll have to get his book, it sounds like a good read. He's probably the most experienced gun fighter in modern times. May he RIP knowing his books have saved lives.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Rusty wrote:I'm a professional truck driver and we are constantly reminded to be safe. We are given in service classes to keep reminding us about things we should know or teach us things we don't. As an example, how many people know what the Smith System of Defensive Driving is?
awp101 raises hand to be noticed I do! I do! :lol:

The place I used to work for has a lot of service vans on the road. They selected several techs from each region to learn the Smith System and then train the other techs on it. One of those selected was my Old Man so I got an in depth course. Of course I have forgotten most of it but I'm pretty sure I practice it subconsciously... :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Ridgerunner
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ridgerunner »

Peter Capstick died as a result of complications following heart bypass surgery....1996
Confederately yours,

Ridgerunner
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

I wouldn't say he was the most experienced (far more combat vets around nowadays) but when it comes down to surprise engagements with a pistol at close range, yes, he has his fair share of experience and then a bit more.

In a police/self defense scenario, he knows of what he speaks. In general "people trying to kill you" thousands of current infantrymen and others can speak up on.
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

A retired NYPD officer I knew had worked the Stake Out Squad with Carillo, was a heck of a shot and always shot master, regardless of what handgun he was shooting. He favored the six inch K-38 loaded with the 148grain target wadcutters, said most of the time they only had head shots and the wad cutters would dig in, not slide around. Also used a 12 Guage as back up. Heck of a nice guy laid low by prostrate cancer. Had some interesting takes on thier duties.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Somewhere I read that Cirillo's favorite long arm was an M-1 carbine loaded with soft point ammo.

I just ordered two of his books from Amazon.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Rowley Sims
Levergunner

Post by Rowley Sims »

Oh no!! PH-C is dead??? The man who's writing in G&A inspired my first ever rifle purchase in 1978??? That calls for a drink...
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Ridgerunner wrote:Peter Capstick died as a result of complications following heart bypass surgery....1996

Really? I had always heard that he died in an auto accident. I guess I was wrong. :o
NRA Life Member, Patron
Gregor
Levergunner

Post by Gregor »

I met Jim Cirillo at the NRA Convention in Pittsburg, PA in 2004 and later the same year took a training class he taught at the Midwest Training Group in Illinois. At the NRA Convention he treated me like a long lost relative and was very generious with his time. The class he taught along with his son, Jim Jr. was well worth it, especially since his passing a few years later.

Paul Kirtchners' Tales of the Stake Out Squad is a biography on Jim that many will find interesting reading.

The DVD's he also made are a must see.

Regards,

Gregor
Ravenman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ravenman »

Here you can get the whole package.

http://www.paladin-press.com/product/Ji ... t/Handguns

A must see and read! Well worth every dollar.
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

This book is indeed a good read. I was fortunate to meet Jim Cirillo at the Snubby Summit in 2005, where his contribution was classroom lecture. I had hoped to train with him in live-fire, but unfortunately, his fatal collision cut his life short.

Jim Cirillo did indeed favor the M1 Carbine over the shotgun during his SOU days, based on the available ammo at the time. They used the 110-grain JSP in those carbines.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.