OT- Found out I might need surgery.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
336A
Levergunner 2.0

OT- Found out I might need surgery.

Post by 336A »

I could not believe it when the Dr. and I were talking about what may be wrong, and the solutions. I had to of course go get X-rays, I will have to wait till Monday for the results as the radiologist called in sick ( just my luck). :roll: So now I'm stuck wearing this stupid brace to immobilize my wrist until then. If surgery is the only option I am in no way going to jeopardize my deer season, ol' saw bones will just have to wait. :wink:
paulyseggs
Levergunner

Post by paulyseggs »

Join the "I can't believe I'm missing XXXXX season because of this stupid injury/surgery/whaterver reason club" Great things will come of it though.

I missed an entire hunting season 3years in a row, one due to a car accident and the other were surgery/injury. and this past spring I missed all of trout fishin due to another injury. But I got alot in return in things.

Learned to love Big bore handguns and made alot of great friends at the local gunshop.

But I'm glad I had my hand surgerys. It was for carpal tunnel. You don't realize how much you adapt to an injury the first time you goto tie your shoes and you don't have to look at what your doin.
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

336A;
It seems none of us now know the problem with your wrist. However, there are some conditions which will get worse, and possibly result in permanent damage if not repaired ASAP. Re-phrased; missing the next season may well mean not missing many future seasons. "Nuff said on that!
I am sure I speak for many when I say, "I am on your side and it is my prayer things will go as you desire."
PPpastordon
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Prayer sent that the radiologist says PT will fix it permanently.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Prayers said for you 336A.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
big medicine
Levergunner 1.0

Post by big medicine »

It is the pay me now or pay me later thing. You can do it right the first time and pay so much time with recovery, or you can do it wrong and you pay with a lot more time for recovery over the next XX months, years, or lifetime.

Depending on what it is, it may not be "fixable" at a later date to the extent that it can be fixed now. It is kinda like a car. You are low on oil, but don't have time to put any oil in the car, so you get by for a while until the engine gives out all together. It would have cost $2.00 and five minutes to do it right, but now it is gonna cost a whole lot more. Now the $2.00 and five minutes looks pretty cheap :wink:

The timing is never right on these things, take care of yourself first, you won't regret it in the long run.

I do hope all is "fixable" without surgery!!
IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KIA 23 APR 2007, AGE 19,MUQUDADIYAH,IRAQ
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Prayer said, good luck.
Old Law Dawg
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

You don't have to miss deer season do you if you hunt with a hand gun?

Anyway, I say go for teh surgery first, deer season is not more important than your health.

I waited 10 years after an accident before going to get my knee fixed, it was getting to the point of locking up on me and couldn't sit crosslegged. Dreeded going under the knife, after sugery no problems. My knee is better than it has ever been in a long time. Should have done it years ago. Don't put your health off, you and your family are more important than any hunting season.

Johnny
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I had dual carpal tunnel surgery 1 year and two weeks ago.
One of the reasons I had him do both at the same time was because of deer season.
I healed quickly and 2 weeks after the surgery I went small game hunting.
I can't beleive how much better I feel.

Good luck!!
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
paulyseggs
Levergunner

Post by paulyseggs »

WCF3030 wrote:I had dual carpal tunnel surgery 1 year and two weeks ago.
One of the reasons I had him do both at the same time was because of deer season.

Good luck!!
How did you get your doc to do both at once!! I tried that with mine. She wouldn't do it. First words out of her mouth.." Paul how are you going to wipe your butt?" I looked at my dearest loved one and got kicked in the shin real hard!

But I got the doc back good. The first surgery they didn't put me under and it went great, The second one she decided I needed to be knocked out. Well I don't take kindly to such things and went bonkers on the OR table. I came to tied up like a mental patient. Doc says I grabbed her by the shirt and lifted her right over my head. I don't recall a thing but I know it's cause she wouldn't do both hands at once!
336A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 336A »

Thanks for all of the advice,and concern guys. I guess I am just set in my pig headed ways like a stubborn mule. :) I will have to see first of course after I go back for the results of the X-rays.
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Unless letting it heal wrong and having them re-break it later sounds good to you, have it done now and start the recovery process ASAP.

scott
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

paulyseggs wrote:
WCF3030 wrote:I had dual carpal tunnel surgery 1 year and two weeks ago.

Good luck!!
How did you get your doc to do both at once!! I tried that with mine. She wouldn't do it. First words out of her mouth.." Paul how are you going to wipe your butt?" I looked at my dearest loved one and got kicked in the shin real hard!

But I got the doc back good. The first surgery they didn't put me under and it went great, The second one she decided I needed to be knocked out. Well I don't take kindly to such things and went bonkers on the OR table. I came to tied up like a mental patient. Doc says I grabbed her by the shirt and lifted her right over my head. I don't recall a thing but I know it's cause she wouldn't do both hands at once!
I got the same question.
I told him it was none of his d$%m buisness.
There is a way. :) Butt I'm not going to explain it here.
One thing that did help was that he only wraped my right hand, and put a cast on the other.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

I had both shoulders replaced with artificial joints. It is amazing what they can do now. My shoulders were so weak that I had to shoot pistols/revolvers with both hands in a modified Weaver stance with the elbow of my support arm resting of my abdomen. If I got down on the floor to play with one of the kittens, I had to have my son help me back up. It is amazing how far we let things go before getting the problem fixed. And I am an RN.....DUH! My primary care physician thought I had torn rotator cuffs. The orthopedic surgeon looked at the MRIs and said "You don't have rotator cuffs, the joints have disintegrated." :shock: So now I have bionic shoulders and Sims Limbsaver Pads are going to be mandatory except for the 22s and 223 varmint guns and ARs. I will make my own Lead Sled shooting platform. I have some 25 lb. weight plates that will hold it down when shooting from the bench. I will also order a women's model Past recoil shield designed to attach to a bra strap with velcro loops. I will attach it to the strap of a tank top worn under a regular shirt so I don't have to worry about it shifting around. I want to keep from adding a mercury recoil reducer to the buttstock if I don't have to. I found out that the pain is not from the artificial joint but all the muscles that were stretched to build a rotator cuff of sorts. The nice thing about a gun that shoots 525 gr .458 bullets is that they don't have to be fast steppers to make big holes. The thing that everyone who has surgery can relate to is the amazement at having a body part that works normal again and WHY we waited so long. Good luck with your surgery and may you have speedy recovery. Prayers sent!
Mutt
Levergunner 3.0

surgery

Post by Mutt »

After two back cuttings within six weeks of each other, I'm still wearing a back brace after six months ,and hurting as bad as I did before the first slicing .Haven't been able to even get to the range for a little over two years.First one thing and another .
Hadn't been for you folks I'd have been in the loony pot way before this.
Seems like there is always something. But 'm still breathing and getting around. Thank God , cause a very good friend recieved his last rites tonight. Don't expect him to be here this time tommorow .
And once again the good folks on this site , with all there experence , knowledge
and stories have helped me retain some sanity.
So don't fret , tomorrow is another day , and life goes on. Maybe I'll be part of it.
I hope you do hunt this time and many more to come. But I can really understand the frustation.................Been there, done that............

....................................................Mutt

:D
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

I am about to see a doc about my hand/wrist issues, so I empathize.
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.