45 Colt Revolvers

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

45 Colt Revolvers

Post by HEAD0001 »

I am wanting to buy a 45 Colt revolver for fun shooting. I am looking toward the standard Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. I may also do a little short range deer hunting with the revolver.

I load a 250 grain cast bullet with 18.5 grains of 2400 for my Low Wall 45 Colt. Is that load too stout for a revolver??

I was thinking about a shorter length barrel for this pistol. I am not sure if the shorter barrel would burn the 2400?? What do you guys think?? Any other revolver recommendations?? I think I want to stay with a single action. Thanks, Tom.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Re: 45 Colt Revolvers

Post by Buck Elliott »

If you want to do a little tweaking of loads, &c., the adjustable sight Blackhawk will do you a very good job. If you're going to settle on a "one-and-only" load, consider an original Vaquero. You can't break one with a hammer, and the fixed sights are as rugged as you'll find on any revolver.

Barrel length is a very personal matter, taking into account how and where the gun will be carried, and what feels best in your hand.

I like the 7 1/2" guns best, but the 4 5/8" Rugers, or 4 3/4" Colts/clones are easier to pack sitting in a vehicle.

The choice is yours.
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
HEAD0001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by HEAD0001 »

Buck I was really considering the convertible model?? I like the idea of shooting a light "gallery load", and I thought the 45 ACP cylinder would handle that well?? That is why I was wondering if I could shoot my Low Wall load with the 45 Colt cylinder, and then work up a lighter 45 ACP load?? Thanks, Tom.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Some guys like the .45 ACP setup, some don't. The ACP can be finicky in a SA revolver, with some chambers allowing the case to rest too far into the chamber for reliable ignition. Other guys have NO trouble with the arrangement at all.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

THAT LOAD WAS INVENTED FOR 45COLT REVOLVERS, FIRST GENERATION COLT SAA 45COLT SIXGUNS NO LESS FOR USE UNDER THE KEITH 454424 CAST BULLET.
A RUGER WILL GOBBLE UP THAT LOAD LIKE PHFFTT THROUGH A GOOSE.
FROM THE 45/8" RUGER 45 BARREL THAT LOAD WILL FLY ABOUT 1075FPS AND CHOP 45 CALIBER HOLES COMPLETELY THROUGH ANY LIVING FLESH AND BLOOD THING IN NORTH AMERICA.
YOU THOUGHT IT'D BE FASTER THAN THAT DIDN'T YOU ??? WRONG POWDER BREATH !!!!!!!!! IT DOES NOT NEED TO BE, TAKE IT TO THE BANK.
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Tom

I really like my convertible. Only thing I changed was the grips. I couldn't get used to the feel of it so I put some Hogues on it, makes it feel almost like a S&W DA. I know it's ugly but I can shoot it better. I also like the 4 5/8 barrel, makes it really handy.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

I shoot the 18.5 gr. 2400 and 250 gr.XTP in my Ruger Blackhawk regularly, but it's to stout for anything but Rugers.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Terry Murbach wrote:YOU THOUGHT IT'D BE FASTER THAN THAT DIDN'T YOU ??? WRONG POWDER BREATH !!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I'm certainly a rookie as measured by the experience of many people on this board. I've run some middle and wild loads through my .45C single action, and settled on middle of the road loads. What scares beyond imagination are slow loads in my gun--only time I saw and felt problems such over heated barrel and hard extraction.
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

Buck Elliott wrote:If you want to do a little tweaking of loads, &c., the adjustable sight Blackhawk will do you a very good job. If you're going to settle on a "one-and-only" load, consider an original Vaquero. You can't break one with a hammer, and the fixed sights are as rugged as you'll find on any revolver.
On this matter, Buck & I are in 100% agreement. My Old Vaquero is by far my favorite among the various .45 Colts I've owned. Once you get them zeroed and stocked to suit you, there's really nothing left to improve but the nut on the handle.

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009 ... html#links
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

18.5grs of 2400 under a 255gr - 260gr Keith SWC in balloon head cases shot from a first generation Colt SAA was Elmer Keith's light load.
Years later when solid head cases were available and Ruger finally introduced the Blackhawk in .45 Colt he upped the charge to 20grs 2400.

I load 18.5grs 2400 under a 265gr Keith SWC, (Lyman 454424 cast from wheel weights) and shoot it from my Old Model Blackhawk .45 colt and both my lever guns. It is one of, if not the most accurate load I shoot.

The Blackhawk convertible and the Vaquero will shoot this load just fine. It's also an excellent hunting load.

Personally I prefer the shorter barrel length for anything but hunting. I've fired the above load from my 4" S&W 25-5 with very good results. You'll loose a bit of velocity with the shorter barrel, but not enough to matter any.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

Please note that these gents are talking about the Vaquero, which is a different animal from the new Vaquero, which is a smaller frame and not for "hot" 45 Colt loads.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Chas. wrote:Please note that these gents are talking about the Vaquero, which is a different animal from the new Vaquero, which is a smaller frame and not for "hot" 45 Colt loads.
Yes good point.

My 7 1/2" OM Vaquero eats 18.5 of 2400 under a 250gr anything like it is candy. I had a 7 1/2 Blackhawk that also loved that load. Never should of gotten rid of it. :oops:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

For the record there is no such thing as an old model Vaquero.

All Vaqueros are New Models. They are all built with Rugers New Model transfer bar system.

There is the Vaquero built on the large 44 mag Blackhawk frame and so stamped on the left side of the frame under the cylinder window.

Then there is the New Vaquero built on the mid sized 357 frame and so stamped on the left side of the farm under the cylinder window.

Vaquero, New Vaquero, that's all you need to say.

To use any other qualifying terms just muddies up the issue. Words have meanings, use the correct word for what you need to say and things get simpler.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

deerwhacker444 wrote:I put some Hogues on it, makes it feel almost like a S&W DA. I know it's ugly but I can shoot it better. I also like the 4 5/8 barrel, makes it really handy.
I have the same thing in stainless, and that gun is pretty much the 'tank' when it comes to having been in the rain, dropped in dirt, sat on in gravel, and generally used and abused, but those Hogues haven't fallen off yet, and the whole little ball of steel makes a nice rust-resistant bang-bang to carry when on the farm, for any vermin that needs de-verminated.

P.S. - ...I wish I could shoot mine as well as that, though... :oops: I'd be lucky to get a group like that with a handgun at five yards from a rest... :cry:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Chas.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Chas. »

J Miller wrote:For the record there is no such thing as an old model Vaquero.

All Vaqueros are New Models. They are all built with Rugers New Model transfer bar system.

There is the Vaquero built on the large 44 mag Blackhawk frame and so stamped on the left side of the frame under the cylinder window.

Then there is the New Vaquero built on the mid sized 357 frame and so stamped on the left side of the farm under the cylinder window.

To use any other qualifying terms just muddies up the issue. Words have meanings, use the correct word for what you need to say and things get simpler.

Joe
Is there an echo in here? I thought I just posted the difference.

Actually the "correct word" would be Vaquero manufactured from 1993 to 2005 and Vaquero manufactured 2006 to present. Old/New, when used with Vaquero, have no meaning to Ruger, so "correct" has no meaning. They've only been adopted as vernacular by us, the users.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Hi All,

I have an original three-screw Blackhawk ( 4 5/8 barrel) in 45 Colt with the 45 ACP conversion, and a Bisley Blackhawk with 7 1/2 inch barrel. I've played with a number of loads including 296 and a 250 grain lead slug at 1350 fps. Today I use 200 grain cast swc and bullseye for plinker-fun loads, and 280 grain WFN and Lil Gun for serious hunting. I'm still fine tuning the heavy load. I've also got a bullet mould for a 315gr WFN that I've yet to begin experimenting with. As to the quality, and strength of these revolvers, I give them highest marks. If I had to choose only one handgun, it would be my old Blackhawk.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

I have 2 Rugers,a 7 1/2 in bbl Blackhawk and a 5 1/2 in Bisley Vaquero both of these Rugers like 18.4 gr 2400 and 21.0 gr w296 with the 250 gr Hdy XTP HP. Serious loads. My fun load is 5.5 gr Trail Boss under a
255 gr SWCFP. Rugers are fun and about as good as it gets and they really are bomb proof. I have a set of custom checkered walnut grips on the Blackhawk. Really helps control recoil and barrel rise.
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Joe
Ok Joe I will just say form now on when talking about Vaqueros large or small frame. That way the difference is high lighted with out all the New or Old prefix mud. :wink:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

JReed wrote: Ok Joe I will just say form now on when talking about Vaqueros large or small frame. That way the difference is high lighted with out all the New or Old prefix mud.
Actually, Jeremy, as one who now gets a discount on breakfasts at many eateries, I for one would prefer that y'all call them the "New Vaquero" and the "Senior Vaquero," which imparts a politically correct dignity and respect for the older model.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

JohndeFresno wrote:
JReed wrote: Ok Joe I will just say form now on when talking about Vaqueros large or small frame. That way the difference is high lighted with out all the New or Old prefix mud.
Actually, Jeremy, as one who now gets a discount on breakfasts at many eateries, I for one would prefer that y'all call them the "New Vaquero" and the "Senior Vaquero," which imparts a politically correct dignity and respect for the older model.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

JohndeFresno wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Chas. wrote:

Joe

Actually the "correct word" would be Vaquero manufactured from 1993 to 2005 and Vaquero manufactured 2006 to present. Old/New, when used with Vaquero, have no meaning to Ruger, so "correct" has no meaning. They've only been adopted as vernacular by us, the users.
Charles,
Sorry but in this case you are wrong.
The Vaquero is the Vaquero to Ruger, and so stamped on the frame.
The New Vaquero is the New Vaquero to Ruger and so stamped on the frame.

It is the general public who just can't seem to grasp the simple difference. Vaquero - New Vaquero.

Two different models of Rugers. Similar but different.

Joe
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

My thoughts on the terminology issue are simple.

When Ruger called the later version the New Vaquero, the made mine the 'old' one by natural extension.

Beyond that I'm inclined to call something I paid for, whatever I want.

Anyhow mine has the bigger frame and will take the heavier loads.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Joe

WWI wasn't originally called WWI, but then, WWII came along.......
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

JohndeFresno wrote:....Actually, Jeremy, as one who now gets a discount on breakfasts at many eateries, I for one would prefer that y'all call them the "New Vaquero" and the "Senior Vaquero," which imparts a politically correct dignity and respect for the older model.
That's a keeper. 8)

Jack
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Sarge wrote:
Buck Elliott wrote:If you want to do a little tweaking of loads, &c., the adjustable sight Blackhawk will do you a very good job. If you're going to settle on a "one-and-only" load, consider an original Vaquero. You can't break one with a hammer, and the fixed sights are as rugged as you'll find on any revolver.
On this matter, Buck & I are in 100% agreement. My Old Vaquero is by far my favorite among the various .45 Colts I've owned. Once you get them zeroed and stocked to suit you, there's really nothing left to improve but the nut on the handle.

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/2009 ... html#links

I've really loved all of my Old Model Vaqueros(they're mine, and you can go to hell; I'll call 'em what I want!) they're reliable, tough as hell, and darned accurate. All of my .45 Colt Old Models shoot to the same point of aim with the same ammo. I've carried them hunting, on horseback, on foot, etc.. They've never failed me.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Joe
I agree about using the actual factory terminology but there are those who will persist in the use of other terms because they can't wrap their heads around it any other way. Should we mention .45 Colt, Long Colt, etc...? :roll: :lol: :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Hobie wrote:

Joe
I agree about using the actual factory terminology but there are those who will persist in the use of other terms because they can't wrap their heads around it any other way. Should we mention .45 Colt, Long Colt, etc...? :roll: :lol: :wink:
I know it's hard, but let me try; Vaquero, New Vaquero. That kinda wore me out, but I think I can keep the entire list of two straight from now on.

Now the list of 45 Colt begins and ends there. I think I can keep that one straight as well. :wink: :lol:

Now I'm ready to move onto "what is it chambered in" instead of "what caliber is it?" That might be a bit much at the moment.
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Travis Morgan wrote:

Joe

WWI wasn't originally called WWI, but then, WWII came along.......
The name "First World War" sprang up during the period of conflict, not so much to mark the beginning of a series, as to indicate the magnitude of the unpleasantness.

I have several old Vaqueros, or "old" Vaqueros, but have yet to obtain one of the new, New Vaqueros.

Should we discuss the Colt .45?
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

J Miller wrote:
Chas. wrote:

Joe

Charles,
Sorry but in this case you are wrong.
The Vaquero is the Vaquero to Ruger, and so stamped on the frame.
The New Vaquero is the New Vaquero to Ruger and so stamped on the frame.

It is the general public who just can't seem to grasp the simple difference. Vaquero - New Vaquero.

Two different models of Rugers. Similar but different.

Joe

This is absolutely correct J.Miller. I have two of each. They are stamped very plainly along with being very different guns.
Last edited by Dastook on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Lesseee - thank goodness we're not obsessing over one of the most popular pistol calibers, or we'd have to call it "9mm Parabellum 9mm Luger 9x19mm" to keep everybody happy! :roll:
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

AJMD429 wrote:
deerwhacker444 wrote:I put some Hogues on it, makes it feel almost like a S&W DA. I know it's ugly but I can shoot it better. I also like the 4 5/8 barrel, makes it really handy.
I have the same thing in stainless, and that gun is pretty much the 'tank' when it comes to having been in the rain, dropped in dirt, sat on in gravel, and generally used and abused, but those Hogues haven't fallen off yet, and the whole little ball of steel makes a nice rust-resistant bang-bang to carry when on the farm, for any vermin that needs de-verminated.

P.S. - ...I wish I could shoot mine as well as that, though... :oops: I'd be lucky to get a group like that with a handgun at five yards from a rest... :cry:

I really like that! :mrgreen:
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

JohndeFresno wrote:Lesseee - thank goodness we're not obsessing over one of the most popular pistol calibers, or we'd have to call it "9mm Parabellum 9mm Luger 9x19mm" to keep everybody happy! :roll:
".30-30"

"gunpowder"

"bullet" versus "cartridge" or "shell"
Last edited by Otto on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

baby vaquero and real vaquero would be much easier :lol: :lol: :lol:
DAV life member.
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Idiot »

Or, as I sometimes facetiously say, Vaquero and Vaqueroette. :wink:
Last edited by Idiot on Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

SOME FEW KNOW THAT B.R. SR WAS GONNA NAME THIS GUN THE "CABALLERO". THIS WOULD HAVE SIMPLIFIED THE PROBLEM AS WE COULD HAVE HAD A "GAY CABALLERO" AND A "STRAIGHT CABALLERO".
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Terry Murbach wrote:SOME FEW KNOW THAT B.R. SR WAS GONNA NAME THIS GUN THE "CABALLERO". THIS WOULD HAVE SIMPLIFIED THE PROBLEM AS WE COULD HAVE HAD A "GAY CABALLERO" AND A "STRAIGHT CABALLERO".
LOL.

There is a joke in there about big bores, or 45 "long" Colt, but I shall restrain myself.

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Forum rules

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Travis,

You've over stepped your bounds here and either forgot the forums rules or are really working hard to disregard them. I don't appreciate being told to go to hell (I know that comment was aimed at me even if my quote wasn't there) and then being subjected to the derogatory remarks like you just did about the name switch.
I don't treat others like that and I don't appreciate it either.

Joe